Songs that should never be heard again

Marguerite

"A mouse lived in a windmill so snug and so nice... There's nobody there now but a whole lot of mice. oh yeah!"

And the ultimate challenging lyric from about 1968 - "Mashed potato yeah, yeah, yeah..."

Seriously - that was it! I figured, now I've heard everything!

A lot of people were horrified when Rolf harris did a cover of "Stairway to Heaven" in his own typical Rolf style (complete with wobble board and didgeridoo). But it became a hit and re-launched his career. Personally, I like it.

But Rolf's original hit, "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" had to be re-released with a certain verse missing - these days that verse would be considered racist, although you couldn't consider Rolf racist in any way. It's the Aussie equivalent of a certain "n" word used so freely in "Blazing Saddles" (it was funny then, it was not used to be racist because it was actually highlighting racism in how it was used). Theway Rolf used the Aussie word in his earlier version of the song was also delivered in a way to satirise racism, but it is just too close to the bone these days and had to be cut.

I then had to explain to my kids - all those years we'd been playing the song from a very old recording and the kids had to be re-educated. "Don't sing that verse any more, kids."

Back to "Stairway to Heaven" - an Aussie TV presenter, ANdrew Denton (one of our best interviewers, he's brilliant) had a TV show called "The Money or the Gun". He declared that his favourite song in all the world was "Stairway to Heaven" and because it was HIS show, he could have whatever he wanted. So he had that song - done in a different style each week by a different artist. It became a running gag and a good one, too. An album was released with all those different versions - Sydney Philharmonia Choir doing it in choral style a capella; Judi Connelli doing it in Jazz style; a famous performance poet doing it as a narration like Man from Snowy River; and so on. And then Rolf.

I love it. But especially those who didn't get the joke or who found it wearing thin, would have hated Rolf's version, they felt it ruined a great song.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgsH1pdWJ84"]YouTube - Rolf Harris - Stairway to Heaven[/ame]

Marg

flutterby

Fly away!
Time in a Bottle is a classic. I love that song. Anything by Jim Croce.

But, then I remember listening to it on 8 track, in the van, held in place by a book of matches. :rofl:

klmno

But, then I remember listening to it on 8 track, in the van, held in place by a book of matches.

Oh gosh, that brings back memories!

I have to admit, as I read thru this there are many songs listed that I really like as well as some that annoy me to no end. Janet, when we ever meet we'll get along just fine!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Even though I have been to the R&RHF, I don't know what "bubble gum rock" means. Here is song from my teen years that I never wanted to hear again, it gives me ear worm. Thanks a lot! The video makes me sea sick too.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Ub5OGGBAg"]YouTube - Tous les garçons et les filles - Françoise Hardy[/ame]

DazedandConfused

Muskrat Love by Captain and Tennille.

How anyone could sit down and write those absurd lyrics is something I will never understand. Then, someone actually recorded it. Of course, the most mystifying is that PEOPLE ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE RECORD. It's like the Pet Rock of records.

(Anyone actually 'buy' a Pet Rock?)

One that is recent is:

You're Beautiful by James Blunt.

After hearing this song so many times through radio, TV, internet, and Daughter's IPOD, I had heard it just once too many times. I turned to Daughter and deadpanned in a low tone of voice, 'If I hear that son one more time, someone has to die'.

I've Got a brand New Pair of Rollerskates (You've Got a Brand New Key), by Melanie.

I kinda felt the same way until one day when it came on the radio (oldies…ahem…I mean 'classic' station) as we're driving down the freeway. I began to sing along to the shocked mortification of Daughter. As nothing could be more encouraging than garnering Daughter's shocked mortification, I began to sing louder meeting Melanie pitch for pitch, vibrato for vibrato. As Daughter began to sink in her seat next to me, I began to 'dance' in the driver's seat. Poor Daughter was about to hurl herself out the window when the song ended.

The memory still brings a smile to my face.

Last edited:

DazedandConfused

But, then I remember listening to it on 8 track, in the van, held in place by a book of matches. :rofl:

Oh my! It does bring back memories! I also remember how each track only held so much music. So, if in the middle of the song the track ran out, a song was simply continued on the next track!

So, in the middle of song it would just fade away.....

*click*

and then it would fade in again to finish the song.

I used to really get annoyed when it was one of my favorites!

DazedandConfused

Pretty well anything PERFORMED by Barrie Manilow (although I will concede that I like a lot of the the stuff he has written). I will NEVER forgive him for "Copacabana" or "Can't smile without you"

Of course, Barry is always good to goof on. :D

Barry is a part time local in my area. We have people that have blogs dedicated to Barry and the people that follow Barry. Some are quite hilarious.

Though, I have to give the guy major props because he raised a TON of money for our local schools to buy musical instruments because they have been hit so hard by state budget cuts.

witzend

I have half or even more of these songs! Remember Chevy van? Got it. Torn between two lovers? got it. David Souls only single...Dont give up on me Baby. Do you like Pina Coladas? Fooled around and fell in love. She was only 16. Hooked on a feeling. Time in a bottle and Fooled around and fell in love.

Ahhh...just a few of my favorites.

Did you notice that you put "Fooled Around and Fell in Love" in there twice, right? That's because it is quite possibly one of the best songs ever in every way. ;)

"Time in a Bottle" makes me cry to this day, it's beautiful. Nothing like "Beach Baby" or "Seasons in the Sun".

donna723

Hey, don't knock "The House of the Riding Sun"! It's the only song I ever learned how to play on a guitar! And I mean the old original version by The Animals. I'm so musically challenged, I didn't know there were any other versions of it. And "Crimson and Clover" came out when musicians had just learned how to make that echoing sound and they went completely overboard on it ... but that doesn't mean that I liked it!

And Barry Manilow sets my teeth on edge! I don't care what he's singing, I don't want to listen to it! But I have always loved "Maggie May". Although if you really listen to the lyrics ...? I always liked Rod Stewart's voice though - not really him personally, but I like his music. Am I the only one that's noticed that he's had about a dozen wives and they all look exactly alike? Every few years he trades then in for a younger model. He just keeps getting older and older but the wives seem to stay just the same!

But nothing, and I mean NOTHING was as bad as spending Christmas at my brothers house in Florida one year when he was on a raging Kenny G kick! He played Kenny G from the time he got up to the time he went to bed! He even had a Kenny G Christmas album! Drove me right up the wall! I guess it does set a certain 'mood' but it puts me right to sleep. Bored into a stupor!

DDD

I'm smiling as I read the posts. Yep, like Suz I wore out more than one .45 "back in the day". Before 8 tracks all you could count on was the radio to play "your" songs. One time a group of around 30 of us called the Miami DJ and requested Teen Angel.......and he played it back to back ;) with the dedications in between. What a rush that evening was. Humm...maybe it was Earth Angel...lol.

The WORST songs ever recorded, in my humble opinion
The ChipMunk Song......and.....I saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus.

Barf! The newest song I hate is "I kissed a girl."

DDD

donna723

Ha! DDD, I remember that, having only the AM car radio and hoping they'd play 'your' song! I remember going to Daytona Beach as a kid, when everybody would cruise up and down the beach, and some guys in a convertible had hooked up a reel-to-reel tape recorder to their car somehow ... we thought they were geniuses, way ahead of their time! And maybe they were!

And when we lived in Florida, after every trip to Disney World, it would take months to get that stupid song out of my head ... "It's a small world after all, it's a small, SMALL world ... " Makes me want to smack myself in the head with a hammer until it stops!

DDD

:D Yep, "small world" is right up there on the list too, Donna. DDD OMG, I just remembered "Yellow Submarine"

donna723

That came out at just about the same time as the "Purple People Eater" song - I was in the sixth grade, I think. :sick:

donna723

We thought it was hysterically funny at the time. We listened to it while playing with our hula hoops! Gawd, we much have been such total dorks back then and didn't even know it! :tongue:

muttmeister

I still like purple people eater. And the witch doctor song was about at the same time and I liked it too. Not sure what that says about me!!!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My piano instructor wanted me to do a song that the lyrics are just now leaving my somewhat damaged brain.

"I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing"

I can say no more as I refuse to think of any of the songs you have all posted along with the one above.