Songs that should never be heard again

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha, Skeeter. I was showing a DJ this thread and he said you are more than welcome to tip him $20 to not play the YMCA. For $30, he won't put your picture on Facebook with the cowboy hat on.:tongue:

Country? Just not my cup of tea, especially old style country. There are a few good ones out there, I'll admit. 80's just purely stink. I was a manager of a Musicland during those years. I have effectively blocked out that decade of my life. Please don't bring them back up.

Abbey

DammitJanet

These are two of my favorite Sugarland songs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6B50G5J3rY"]YouTube - Sugarland "Stay" Live CMA Performance[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDpZ2w5RzhU&feature=related"]YouTube - sugarland - All I want To Do Live At The CMA's[/ame]

witzend

Not even going there, Janet!

How come now one came up with "The Letter" by the Box Tops? Or "I Am Woman" by Helen Reddy?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
At my first wedding I demanded that the deejays NOT play the Chicken Dance. I flat refused to pay them if they did.

Fortunately they were also sort-of friends...

trinityroyal

Aaarrrgh, Step! The Chicken Dance!

You just brought to mind my other all time least favourite wedding reception song: The Macarena

And Witz, I fully agree with you about I am Woman.

On a related note, when husband and I are in the mood to torture the in-laws, we burst into a chorus of "We are Santa's Elves" from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

It is the catchiest, most hard to get rid of song ever ever ever.

graceupongrace

trinity,

I am so with you on "Macarena!" If I ever get married again, it will not be on the playlist. In fact, I could just print this whole thread out and say, "Don't. That's all. Just don't." :faint:

trinityroyal

Grace, The Macarena has a special place of loathing in my heart.

Years ago, when it first came out, I was at a party with a large group of my aunties and uncles and their friends. Other than me (late 20s at the time), the `young folks` at this party were pushing 70. But I could barely keep up with them. They party like it`s Trinidad Carnival, on a regular Saturday night.

Anyway, the Macarena was the new big thing, they all wanted to learn it, and insisted that I teach them. They got the DJ to put it on a loop, had me stand up at the front of the ball room and lead a crowd of about 50 of them, over and over and over. My ears start to melt just thinking about it...

And now...
WARNING: If you don`t want this tune stuck in your head all day, don`t watch this first thing in the morning.

I found a video clip of We Are Santa`s Elves.

http://www.christmas-songs.org/songs/we_are_santas_elves.html

witzend

Nope, what's worse is being in a giant auditorium filled with about 1,000 tourists in Mexico at a Mexican Fiesta where everyone has been drinking tequila all day, doing the Macarena at the drop of a hat all night long.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's interesting to read the positive and negative impact songs have had on our lives.

The lyrics to "I Am Woman" were a revelation at the time- perhaps the impact is not understood or as strong now because there have since been decades of songs and speeches and laws supporting the cause. The song had such a positive life changing effect on me personally and really did become an anthem for young women of my generation.

Suz

witzend

It's interesting to read the positive and negative impact songs have had on our lives.

The lyrics to "I Am Woman" were a revelation at the time- perhaps the impact is not understood or as strong now because there have since been decades of songs and speeches and laws supporting the cause. The song had such a positive life changing effect on me personally and really did become an anthem for young women of my generation. Suz

Nah, I always knew it was bad (and by that I mean good) to be a woman. Even then. It's just taking the rest of the world to pick up on that. ;)

Marguerite

Witz, YOU knew it, but so many other women in our genertion (and the one before) did not know it. For them, that song was empowering, very. Not everyone is as together and confident as you are. I think that's why the song was so successful - it sent a strong message to a lot of women who really needed it at the time.

That doesn't mean the song doesn't grate. Even back then I found Helen Reddy's somewhat nasal delivery grated on me. But the song itself - it worked for me, I had need of every scrap of confidence I could scavenge.

So songs aren't always all bad or all good. For every song, there is always someone who loves it and someone who hates it.

Marg

DammitJanet

I always loved Helen Reddy. I wore out the record playing I am woman and Delta Dawn. Oh...and You and Me against the World. God I love that song.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Delta Dawn? As in, "what's that flower you have on? Could it be a faded rose from days gone by?" ...???

I loved the version by Tanya Tucker. Then again, I grew up in the Southwest. Country music is in my blood.

witzend

Yeah, Tanya Tucker was the release that got the play here. But a few years later, I think.

And Marg, I wasn't always that confident, and still am not. I'm aware that women are still second class citizens when it comes to the real power and the real money. But those lyrics! I was in 3rd grade and could have written something less childlike. Why not tell everyone how strong and invincible you are without thinking that just because you know a four syllable word that you can use in a three word sentence it makes you sound intelligent.

I think it kind of bothered me, too, that there was some sort of idea that if women sat in front of the TV and watched her, or sang along on the radio, that made them more liberated as the washed the laundry, did the dishes, cooked the dinner, vacuumed, all while holding down a full time job. "Woo hoo! Women get to add full time work to their list of things they gotta do!" Even at 9, I knew that wasn't such a great deal.

FWIW, Women still only earn 77% of what men do in the same jobs men do. We have a long way to go.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am a Barry lover and a Neil Diamond lover from way back! Barry Mannilow is playing in Chicago coming up soon... I would love to see him!

Not a huge Country Fan either, I do love Johnny Cash... but he was beyond Country.

In-laws bought the girls little skirts last Christmas with these boxes in them, one had the Chicken Dance and the other had the Macerena!
I loved them! Like a hole in the head or a 2 week migraine...
When they danced the music would play and play and play, LOUDLY!

I used to love, Billy don't don't be a hero.
Oh, Peter Paul and Mary- My Adopted Dad had an 8 Track of their best hits and he would smoke up and play it over and over... while we drove around.
"Lemon Tree, lemon tree oh your fruit is so wonderful ..."

DammitJanet

I have a whole boxed set of Barry's greatest hits that I have never even opened...lol. I wish I had all my old records because they would probably be worth something now but they got lost. I had some ABC demo records from an old boyfriends dad who was an exec for ABC records. Pre-releases...lol. Gosh this has been a memory lane.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I got tired of anything by the Beatles years ago when I worked at this place called Rax. Think Arby's meets Wendy's. They had a looping tape, and I worked the salad bar in the dining room.

I do love the Beatles, but there are a lot of songs I just can't listen to...