Sonic back in the mental health system...Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) or something.

BusynMember

I posted about a month ago that Sonic took our car on a joy ride (he has no license). Well, he did it again and got stopped by a cop. What really baffled me was that the cop gave him a citation, but that was it. He was a young cop and didn't want to get too hard on him. Sonic also steals little bits of money that he thinks we won't miss. I thought that was over, but I guess he's taking less now so we DIDN'T miss it. What is this all about?

Food.

He is so obsessive about food that he will steal money and the car to go out and get junk food. He set his cellphone alarm for 4:30 yesterday morning so that we'd all be sleeping when he went out. He's been doing it when everyone is sleeping. Yes, he has had a total endocronologic workup and genetic screening.

When he was confronted at home, he started bawling and begging for help to stop himself from doing these "stupid things." When pushed about why he does them, because he isn't the type of kid who tries to get into trouble just to stick it to you and he isn't out prowling with friends (he has no friends he hangs with outside of school), he just does these two horrible behaviors...he had trouble explaining.

To the best of his autistic ability, he explained that he has two voices in his head, but that they were not external voice...they were his voice. One will tell him not to do it and the other will tell him to do it and it gets so overwhelming that he does it and listens to his "bad" self. All his life he has been very impulsive and unable to wait for what he wants, which is how he first got an ADHD diagnosis., but this impassivity is common with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) too. At any rate, he was so upset, I drove him an hour away to go to the best hospital in town where they have psychs on call even in ER. It was Saturday morning and he spent a long time with a nice female doctor. He explained to her what he explained to me and also told her he does not usually get depressed, unless he does something wrong, and does not ever feel like killing himself.

She is going to get back to me Tuesday after she asks everyone who the best doctor for an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) child with impulse and possible Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and maybe other issues. She said she'd find the best person even if it was not at her hospital. After this whole thing was over, Sonic said, "Thank you."

We were instructed to lock up our keys and money for his safety and our pocketbook. I bought a little safe. Husband was a bit hardnosed until he spoke with doctor.

Looks like one natural consequence of this behavior is that Sonic may not be able to get his driver's license. He already has a ticket and he isn't supposed to drive yet.

I am drained and depressed. I just want to fly away and be by myself. Anyhow, right now he is scrubbing the kitchen as part of his consequences. We have all his videosystems in our room. Although Sonic is 18, I posted here because nothing about Sonic is 18 other than his age.

TerryJ2

I understand about the age issue. They are so much younger inside their heads.

I am so very sorry for all of you. Especially Sonic. How hard that must be! Interesting that the cop only gave him a citation. Hmmm.

Fingers crossed that you DO find the VERY BEST doctor for his impulsivity and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I have no words of wisdom. I suspect I may be in your shoes one day.

{hugs}

Giulia

Hello MWM,

I was the person who asked which test he had for Prader-Willi syndrome.
Sorry to be so perseverative on these questions. I know he had genetic screening. But I need some more details about the screening, it will help me to help you.
How old was Sonic when he had his endocrinologic and genetic screening ? Even if it is only the age Sonic had, it will help me to help you.
What is/are the technique they used for the genetic test ?

Because if he had the test as a child and he is now 18 yo of chronological age, medicine may have progressed and the test which was not available in those days may now be available.
I know it to have been there done that, and to be there do that.
Medicine progresses very quickly, and it will help me to help you if you can provide me these details.

I don't want to make you feel more pain than you are already experiencing. But these details can be absolutely crucial for you and Sonic to receive the adequate help Sonic deserves.

BusynMember

G, he has had all the tests possible not that long ago. He dosen't have Prader-Willi. He has been tested in two ways. It was a longshot anyway because aside from his appetitie, he has no other symptoms of Prader-Willi. Trust me, I cover things well. You do not know it all.

Giulia

MWM, it is not a question of not trusting you. Absolutely not. I know that you do your best for Sonic because you love him.
I know that you do your best, I know how much you love Sonic. Otherwise, you won't be there trying to find answers for him.

I don't ask it because of distrust, but because medicine evolves so fast that it is a very important detail to help you pinpoint the right direction. Like a detective, it is more often than not with such small details that we can help and solve the mystery.
These small details can make us pinpoint the right direction even if, for you, it seems irrelevant details. These details, like the questions I asked you, can seem irrelevant and it is understandable. But they are these small details which permits me to help you. I would not try to help someone I don't trust at all.

I trust you. I know you do your best for Sonic. I know you love him. I know you wish him the best help available.
These details will help me to help you. I trust you for your love towards Sonic and your wish to get him help and seeking answers. I trust you for doing your best.
Just let me give you a hand, just let me help you even if I am not a parent.

keista

((((HUGS))))

WOW! What a complicated situation. Keeping fingers crossed you do get the right doctor to find the right help.

cubsgirl

((hugs))....it sounds like this doctor will be a great asset to you. I hope you can get Sonic the best help possible. It must be so confusing to Sonic to have two conflicting thoughts about what to do (I can relate to that).

DammitJanet

I was thinking something along the lines of Prader Willi myself. Also, it isnt uncommon for there only to be a citation or simple traffic ticket for driving without a license. They are not always going to drag you down to jail and impound the car unless you give attitude. Most police departments dont have the time nor the resources for that. I dont think Cory has been actually arrested on the scene but one time....if that for driving without a license.

If you can get Sonic is license before his court date, it might be wise but talk to a lawyer to see.

L

Liahona

Sounds like you got a great psychiatrist at the hospital! Its a rare doctor that admits they don't have all the answers and will go out of her way to help you find one. I hope very great things come from this.

I'm also impressed Sonic could verbalize what is going on. husband has a hard time verbalizing what goes on in his head. The other kids wouldn't be able to at all.

I understand that its one more thing and you want to hide from it. I feel like that a lot. You are a great mom and can do it. Even if you don't want to.

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs))))) I know EXACTLY what you are talking about iwth the voices. for years there were things Wiz did that were not just to be mean - it was the whole 2 voices thing. We had a therapist who insisted this was either multiple personalities or hallucinating but the other tdocs and psychiatrists all said that this was the only way he could explain an internal debate and it was NOT hallucinating OR multiple personalities. Apparently it is an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) thing that isn't talked about much. I guess there are not many people with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)'s that can express themselves that well to verbalize this.

I think consequences are good, and that going to the hospital was one of the BEST things you can do. Just because he has Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) does NOT mean that medications cannot help. Wiz did a lot better on antidepressants, and phenomenally better when we got the right combo of them.

while perseverating (obsessing, basically) IS an autistic trait, it is possible to also have it as a separate diagnosis. medications like paxil and prozac are often given in higher doses than normal to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and they are effective at that level.

I hope that this doctor is able to find a wonderful person to work with him and that he is able to control this. I would send the officer a thank you for not doing more than a ticket, and explain what was going on and that it has helped you and Sonic by letting you know that he needed much more help than you thought.

keista

Susie, I don't think this is an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) thing, i think it's just the way Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) ppl describe it. To me it sounds like the internal conversations we have with ourselves. You know, when you reach a conflict and debate it with yourself. The angel and devil sitting on our shoulders. Trying to talk us into or out of something when in reality it's us. I think that Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)'s just disassociate this and describe it as "other-being"

When he was younger, son would tell us "his brain made him do it" Well, yeah, the brain makes us do everything, but this is how he explained his impulsive actions. He didn't have a conscious decision in the action so it was his brain that told him to do it.

I think it's less of an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) thing but more of an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) description or explanation.

L

Liahona

husband told me he has 4 voices. That they can have conversations with each other or be busy listening to 4 different things (like radio, tv, conversation with me - drives me nuts-, and the kids) all at the same time.

I can't have a conversation with myself from 4 different points of view. I might be able to do 2, maybe. Probably, not though, I have a hard enough time keeping my own thoughts straight for a conversation. I sure can't do the 4 different distractions at the same time.

keista

Liahona, does he do them well? LOL I have an ADHD friend who does hold multiple conversations, but none of them are comprehensible to anyone, well, except maybe her.

DammitJanet

Doesnt everyone have conversations running continuously in their heads? If not, Im in more trouble than I thought...lol. I have a running dialogue as though I were talking to two or three different people and answering them all the time.

L

Liahona

That is as much of an explanation I can get from him. He can't talk about it much more. The conversations are in his head, not out loud. I think he must do them well because he can argue any side of any issue.

whatamess

My Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) difficult child also seems Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I sometimes wonder if, forgive the term, higher functioning kiddo's perseverations look Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), but they really are 'just' perseverations. My difficult child is 14 and he compulsively eats. We will have just finished a meal and not more than 10 minutes later he is looking for more. He also does things I 'think' he knows he shouldn't, but can't seem to stop himself-regardless of the consequence. He has suggested to us for years to lock up the things we don't want him getting into because he can't stop himself.

BusynMember

Thanks to all!!

Sonic was very adamant that these voices were his own voices and not hallucinations. He has always had obsessive thinking, which is very common with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Still he ASKED for it and THANKED me for it, so I am optimistic. At the same time, I am drained...Know what I mean??

People who are Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) also often overeat...the "filled up" switch doesn't turn off. I'm in a parent group for autistic kids and it's a common complaint. Many of the kids are on gluten-free diets that they refuse to follow as they get older...this can cause a huge problem for a gluten sensitive ASDer.

G, I am sorry I was tough on you. I consider myself extremely well informed on issues regarding Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). I have studied it for as long as I have had my son and have gone to seminars and joined parenting groups. I have taken my son to every possible professional for his various issues and am still doing it. And, yes, I love my son dearly.

Again, thanks and I will keep everyone updated. Tonight we have our keys and money in a lock box, as we were instructed to do and as Sonic told us to do. He doesn't want to be tempted and does not like getting into trouble.

buddy

hugs MWM, if anyone can support him through this it is you for sure....what he is saying sounds very similar to things Q says in different words, how his mind tells him things, it is his own mind, his thinking bubble he says. But he will even ask me to talk about something, or to disagree with a thought to help him feel better. Very interesting how stuck they get. You must be pretty proud that he actually asked for the help and cooperated so well with it. Sounds far beyond the "sorry to get out o f trouble" kind of thing, this seems pretty sincere. I think that is why some of the therapy we are doing now (even the Occupational Therapist (OT) and speech) is working better these days, it was HIS idea to try to feel better about things. I sure hope that doctor comes through. She sounds like she gave him some hope.

BusynMember

Thanks, Buddy!!!! YES, it's interesting how our children think!

As for not only wanting to get out of trouble, it's true that t his wasn't his only motive. But he DID get upset that he was in trouble...lol.