Sonic is in a relationship!

BusynMember

I knew something was up as he is overly eager to forge toward independence. But it was hard for him to tell me because its with another young man. I feel so badly that he was afraid to tell us. I mean, our entire family is so happy for him and nobody cares about his sexuality.

Sonic is very relieved and I have never seen him happier. And more "typical!" They live far apart but we offered to fund a trip for either of my boys (any time my kid has a SO the SO becomes one of my kiddos too!) So far, the timing is bad.

I am so relieved. I thought Sonic would be alone. Now I know he was just foolishly shy about telling us he was attracted to men. None of us are anything but pleased, Dad too. Both daughters sent kind encouraging loving texts to him and even Bart texted "you're still my little bro."

Even if this doesnt work out, due to distance, we are filled with hope now that he can find a partner. His autism has not impaired him as much as we believed it would when he was so young. We are so glad he is loved and that is all we care about.

Just sharing. Happy and relieved mom here!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I knew something was up as he is overly eager to forge toward independence. But it was hard for him to tell me because its with another young man. I feel so badly that he was afraid to tell us. I mean, our entire family is so happy for him and nobody cares about his sexuality.

Sonic is very relieved and I have never seen him happier. And more "typical!" They live far apart but we offered to fund a trip for either of my boys (any time my kid has a SO the SO becomes one of my kiddos too!) So far, the timing is bad.

I am so relieved. I thought Sonic would be alone. Now I know he was just foolishly shy about telling us he was attracted to men. None of us are anything but pleased, Dad too. Both daughters sent kind encouraging loving texts to him and even Bart texted "you're still my little bro."

Even if this doesnt work out, due to distance, we are filled with hope now that he can find a partner. His autism has not impaired him as much as we believed it would when he was so young. We are so glad he is loved and that is all we care about.

Just sharing. Happy and relieved mom here!!

I'm so happy for Sonic! I'm sorry he was so shy about his sexuality, but its understandable, even in this day and age. I wish him and his SO nothing but happiness.

Of course, first loves often aren't lifetime loves, and I know you'll be there for him if that's the case, but wow, what a step in the right direction!

BusynMember

GN, it puzzles all of us that he was shy about telling us. Our family is openly non chalant and welcoming of all sexuality. It is as normal to us as bring left handed.

Maybe the autism kept him from knowing that. But...i dont know.

Thingd I do know: You are right. First and long distance relationships are not sure things. I am relieved he is willing to get emotionally close to somebody though...it bodes well for his future, even if this relationship doesnt work out. And that is a relief for all of his loved ones. Nobody wanted him to be alone forever. And, for reasons we now understand, he rebuffed any potential female who seemed interested. We thought he couldnt handle a relationship...something that saddened me as a loving mother. Now it makes sense!

I love Sonic so much. He is my hero, the bravest, kindest young man I ever met.

susiestar

Roll With It
How wonderful for Sonic! I am glad he is open to having a relationship with someone!! Even if it isn't a forever relationship, it is an opportunity to grow and learn and love. I think it is great that his siblings are so supportive, esp his brother!! That is a big deal to guys, having their big brothers be supportive of their relationships.

Sonic really is a wonderful young man.

BusynMember

Thanks all. I know for some this would be difficult. For me its a relief. I have zilch against this and he is who he is and we love him. His Dad and Bart were instantly accepting, didnt even hesitate or act shocked first. Love is love :)

BusynMember

Im glad. thank you. I thik a lot of parents would hae a prolem with this, but I wanted to share with those eho dont and to show what grown kids can accomish if they like. We all need to read aout some happy endingds :)

Lil

I'm very happy for him and for you with this news. It must have been so worrisome, the fear that that while he's such a capable young man he might end up alone because of an inability to connect to someone on that level. But he can and has and that is wonderful. Long distance relationships are always difficult...and first loves seldom last...but that is a bridge you will cross when the time comes, like any "typical" kid's mom! :) And how incredibly cool of Bart! Some big brothers would not be so good about finding out their little brother is gay. Must be a weight off Sonic's shoulders to have it out in the open. How sad that in this day and age, people still have to worry about it.
:its_all_good:

BusynMember

Lil, I thank you. Annie too.

All the men in the family dont care about gay so, yes, I am grateful. Even if this relationship fizzles out, at least I know he is not too afraid of relationships to have one.
Yes, i am relieved.