Sons Neuro Evaluation Results.. Shocked!!!!!!

Confused

Ok, so again saying parent child relationship issues- is he meaning me or what? The way he was talking before was cuz of their father. Me? Im not that bad!!

Ok so add Multisystemic Therapy? Any of you done this? Is this My fault completely?

He suggested resprite care for me by hiring a trained mental health worker provide therapeutic childcare

No access to guns or weapons

Exercise plenty

Pharmacotherapy for ADHD but also for his Mood Instability

Talk Therapy for all of us

Other misc things I need to read..

DSM-5 diag are applied current and past difficulties...
ADHD Combined Presentation ( already official diag by Neurologist)
Encopresis ( already official diag by pediatrician)
Unspecified Tic Disorder* lip and nose... ( Hes first one to say anything so this is new)
All following are rule out ( or in)------> what does this mean really? No definite again:
Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder
Borderline Intellectual Functioning
Specific Learning Disorder With Math Impairment
Developmental Coordination Disorder
Unspecified Depressive Disorder
Unspecified Anxiety Disorder
Oppositional Defiant Disorder
Unspecified Disruptive Behavior Disorder
Interment Explosive Disorder
Sibling Relational Problem
Academic or Educational Problem

Again suggested Technical Training like daughter..Or even Disability Check( not for daughter..double checking that tho)

Advice? Suggestions?

BusynMember

What kind of testing did he do to come to these conclusions? This is usually out of a neurologists league. Are you satisfied that he nailed this right?

I don't think respite is a bad idea. That would give you a rest. Other than that, I don't know how he came to those conclusions. Did he intensively test your kids in every way? My son had ten hours of testing before the neuropsychologist went over the results carefully and then three weeks later called us back for the results. And even then, he told us, "Nothing is written in stone. Mayo Clinic (where he comes from) make mistakes all the time. Everyone does. This is just our best conclusions based on the test score results."

I appreciated his candidness, but I do think he nailed my son perfectly whereas nobody else did.

How do you feel about all this?

My suggestion? The same. Get them to a neuropsychologist or at the very least, and this may be covered more, to a university hospital for a total evaluation. But I favor neuropsychologists as we got bogus results from a few multiple evaluation assessments too. Neurologist sounds like he is throwing a bunch of clay on the wall to see what sticks. I'lm not sure he has a clue. Do you?

Confused

It wasn't the Neurologist ...it was the Licensed Psychologist who does Adult and Pediatric Neuropsychology who specializes in the evaluations. My son was there for 4 1/2 hours and he did multiple Academics, Self Tests, Observation, Motor Skills etc tests. Ill look at it again and add the names here . He said depending what he does or doesnt get out of the evaluation he may add another 2-4 hours depending on the process and person and issues... Same one who tested my daughter. Do I agree with everything? Not sure. The doctors only Definites were what other doctors found and what we told him of the "Drama" at home because of my sons violence that yes we have yelled so he took it as we are at fault family relationship thing I guess. Well, I have read where other parents have yelled after years of violence or defiance so Im not a bad no good mom because I yelled!! Look at some programs on TV for and online says" do you want to stop the yelling on both sides ( parent and kids). Anyway.. not sure about Anxiety and Depressive Order but the rest kinda makes sense.. I was thinking Bipolar but he didnt see it. The Tic disorder I was shocked as well because no one has brought this up to me, although he would on purpose constantly "clear" his throat a long time ago... I never noticed the facial Tic personally. I would of mentioned it to pediatrician if I did... maybe he was nervous?

But again, why the Rule In ( Or out) thing.. its just saying he thinks but doesnt know! So who will know?
You mentioned about your sons Neuro evaluation Exam.....

"Nothing is written in stone. Mayo Clinic (where he comes from) make mistakes all the time. Everyone does. This is just our best conclusions based on the test score results."

so... is that what he means on my kids? Rule In ( Or out)....Like, it looks like it but after therapy and such and at later date may be the same or may change? I know Im not perfect but I love my kids and want the best for them.. plus the resprite I may have taken the wrong way ....more offended type and some other stuff.. but thats not saying Im a bad mom is it?

that's pretty much a long laundry list of symptoms for a single 8 year old boy.

my first question would be, what specific further testing is needed to rule in/out these diagnosis'?

my second question would be, what is the UMBRELLA diagnosis that fits all these particular sub-diagnosis's?

my third question would be, what, pray tell, other than family therapy would be your targeted suggestions for both home and school to manage the symptoms that are manifesting now, regardless of possible diagnosis?

there is no way that adhd is a stand alone with that list. while there is no blood test or imaging test that will give a firm conclusion, surely a competent professional can narrow that list considerably. medications may be a foregone conclusion, but you need strategies to manage him today--regardless of the label.

in my humble opinion, I think you need a competent university based pediatric psychiatric department to further evaluate both kids--someone who can really put your pieces together to help you figure it out. it seems to me that all of your local people have only contributed to the problem, not solved it...that list might as well be the entire DSMV for a kid.

just my opinion of course.

Confused

Unspecified Disruptive Behavior Disorder-The literature concerning underlying factors for disruptive behaviors converges one environmental factors. Most importantly, high levels of parental psychopathology, poverty, poorfamily functioning, dysfunctional parent-child interactions, and childabuse are thought to play arole in the severity of disruptive behaviors in children (Coie & Dodge, 1998). Associatedvariables with disruptive behaviors include, but are not limited to, cognitive deficits (Moffit &Lynam, 1994), difficulties insocial-cognitive information processing (Crick & Dodge, 1994),and peer rejection (Coie & Dodge, 1998).
**********I have never or will never abuse my kids in anyway nor have they ever been abused by anyone*******So No.. dont agree....

Interment Explosive Disorder Yes I over all agree...
  • Environment. Most people with this disorder grew up in families where explosive behavior and verbal and physical abuse were common. Being exposed to this type of violence at an early age makes it more likely these children will exhibit these same traits as they mature.(the first few years we didnt even yell, so he had this issues already but last few years ya, we yelled)
  • Genetics. There may be a genetic component, causing the disorder to be passed down from parents to children.( father,fathers men side of family violent and my sis, aunt violent)
  • Brain chemistry. There may be differences in the way serotonin, an important chemical messenger in the brain, works in people with intermittent explosive disorder.(????)
Developmental Coordination Disorder(???? maybe)
Symptoms
Children with developmental coordination disorder have difficulties with motor coordination compared to other children the same age. Some common symptoms include:

• Clumsiness( spills or drops food drinks alot?)
  • Delays in sitting up, crawling, and walking ( no)
  • Problems with sucking and swallowing during first year of life ( no)
  • Problems with gross motor coordination (for example, jumping, hopping, or standing on one foot)( Hmm used to but I see hes ok now)
  • Problems with visual or fine motor coordination (for example, writing, using scissors, tying shoelaces, or tapping one finger to another)( again, used to still trouble with buttons on jeans and writing but uses left hand and saw no oher issues just things he needs to learn with more practice as he didnt pay much attention growing up or when he was in sports because he was having fun just playing and talking ADHD but.......hmmm I see the possibility.. )
The others...Borderline Intellectual Functioning- yes?? I know he doesnt seem to understand some things when the Principal or teacher says things that a 8 year old should get.. also like the movies today. He says "the commercial says NOW SHOWING which means its on at the the theaters this second" not understanding that although its showing at the theater BUT theres specific times its starts.... but I dont llike the term mental retardation.. I forgot a lot of Academic stuff over the years and cant seem to keep it in my memory so I dont have this problem, tho...( now hes set the correct time we leave after discussion.. is he playing along, purposely just argue to argue he doesnt want to be wrong or this problem? Yikes!!!

Unspecified Neurodevelopmental Disorder- Thats basically saying a slew of problems covering everything mentioned? Again not sure on anxiety and depression. I asked if he was sad and unhappy or scared here or school and he says no. I looked up how to let the kids play their feelings out and talk to strangers, other kids and he tells them all the same hes ok but just gets mad sometimes he knows why and sometimes he doesn't he just gets mad.

The learning disability, I am not sure either.. ADHD would play a part? Sibling, ODD yes agree.

*****I just wanted to reread what these diag means to make sure I understood them. And to answer your questions if I agree or not for sure. Also Im rereading the report over and over to be clear and iot also says that during my rough pregnancy of bleeding and pain, this could of effected his Nervous system causing issues....

Thank you confuzzled,
"surely a competent professional can narrow that list considerably." -----------So.... what do I do now?

"my first question would be, what specific further testing is needed to rule in/out these diagnosis'?"--------- Also my question!!!!

"other than family therapy would be your targeted suggestions for both home and school to manage the symptoms that are manifesting now, regardless of possible diagnosis?"----again, tons of therapy for all, medications, .... not sure what else.. incl in therapy is us changing how we handle his issues for sure!!! The exercises, outings, etc

InsaneCdn

Developmental Coordination Disorder
Get this tested by an Occupational Therapist (OT). If they aren't familiar with Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), find one who is, or who is prepared to work with someone who does. Occupational Therapist (OT) nailed the symptoms list for this very well for us, so much so that the only question was whether the symptoms were part of a broader diagnosis.

For good info on Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), check out www.canchild.ca and search for developmental coordination disorder.

Even if it isn't as obvious to you now, he may be putting way more mental effort into motor skills than what you can possibly understand... and the mental exhaustion CAN cause behavior problems (been there done that)

Confused

Thank you Insane! Yes, maybe they can help both kids and they will "watch" them and see whats going on and give their official or at least rule outs diagnosis- Or lead to one :) I will make some calls first thing Monday.

GuideMe

God Bless you Confused. I know what it's like going through all of these evaluations with doctors, for myself and difficult child and I'm telling you what, it's hard. You are a good mom for doing all of this.

InsaneCdn

If you're getting an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation... have them also test for sensory issues. Occupational Therapist (OT) therapy helps that as well.

Confused

Thank you GuideMe, it is hard, but, its for them in the long run. I know you and everyone else understands :)

InsaneCdn, I will be calling around on Monday. I think your right, it will help both kids!