Sophie-dog's red blood count is down

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Sophie is home and resting comfortably on the couch. Apparently, one of the nurses gave her half her hamburger earlier and when she got home a little while ago, I gave her more to eat. The transfusion brought her hematcrit up to 24, which is still low, but her color looks better. She's still drowsy from being sedated, but I'm hoping by tomorrow AM she will be at least a little back to her old self.

The vet said that the marrow was watery, which he said didn't indicate anything....could be related to the anemia itself. The results won't be in until Wednesday.

The vet has scheduled her for an ultrasound of her belly, in particular her liver because it's slightly enlarged.

He is being ultra cautious, which I appreciate, but now H is grumbling about added expenses that may not be necessary.

Thanks for the prayers - Nala and Izzy are very curious why their annoying little pal isn't bouncing around as usual and they keep sniffing at her.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It's just terrible when our beloved fuzzbutts get ill. Jo, I'm so sorry. I'm sending lots of hugs for you and dear Sophie.

Suz

Jo,

Poor Sophie - I confess - My eyes are teary... I'm thinking positive thoughts and praying that Sophie doesn't have cancer... I know the test results will be ready today. I wish I could be with you - I know how difficult it is to have a really sick "fur baby." Please know that I'm thinking of you and Sophie...

Hugs... WFEN

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The vet has ruled out bone cancer!! He said that her production of red blood cells has been 'stalled', whatever that means.

Tomorrow she has the ultrasound for her liver and belly. He said if that is clear then they will start her on prednisones - heavy doses. He said there is the chance cancer may show up there, but he is confident that whatever this is "can be treated, if we move swiftly and with a heavy hand". So...please keep sending those prayers, thank you.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
gvcmom, I am a nervous wreck, well, was a nervous wreck. I've geared myself up to prepare for the worst and hope for the best...I think I can handle things better that way. H still keeps telling me that her symptoms are all in my head. And then other times I will catch him loving Sophie up and just holding her and cooing in her ear. Old softie. This morning he stayed home to feed the other dogs so Sophie wouldn't be sad she didn't get any (before her ultrasound). I will let you know how it goes.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Any word yet?

Nothing yet. The vet said she may not have the ultrasound until late afternoon. Urgh - I'm going nuts, but I don't want to call there yet. I will call them if I don't hear anything by 4PM - that's when I leave work, so if I have to go pick her up, I'd like to make one trip instead of two, Know what I mean??

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I hope you got good news and you and husband are out to dinner celebrating.

Fingers crossed.

Suz