sorryagain.. I cant do this anymore -Looks like maybe hes going late

BusynMember

I bet it was hard finding out they didn't diagnose her right :(

It didin't bother me. It just became obvious that the diagnosis was wrong as she aged. At least it got her the help she needed and she did learn to read and actually ended up getting better than average grades. Psychiatry and neurological differences (neuropsychology) are not really hardcore sciences. They are the opinion of the tester and have a lot to do with his opinions, biases, and even the culture. I am learning that in some country what is called ADHD may be called conduct disorder or bipolar here. I'm 60 and am pretty sure nobody is sure what is wrong with me...not exactly...and I've been going for help since age twenty-three. Until there are blood tests, all we can do is hope for the best.

I would not give a child like your son a stimulant. It's just my opinion, but I don't think you are dealing with just ADHD and am afraid that your child will get much worse on the medications. But doctors tend to never blame a medication once it is prescribed. They tend to instead increase it until you really have a mess and the person (child OR adult) is worse. And then they blame us, the parents, not the medication. However I can't imagine your son, if he goes to a neuropsychologist, getting a diagnose of only ADHD. So I hope he isn't prescribed stimulants. Of course, I could be wrong, but ADHD is not violent and you have a lot of stuff on your family tree. Research any medication that anyone wants to give to your son. Be familiar with the side effects so that you know if your son is suffering from any. It is always good to learn all you can about your own family's health problems so that you can be a good advocate for your children and yourself. Doctors make mistakes...often. So does any diagnostician.

C

Confused

Your right.. at least you had a starting point for your daughter. It would be great like you said blood tests or other ways to see whats going on for you and everyone else. It sounds like your doing well and Im glad to hear that :)

I have been thinking BiPolar more and more and more. I know I shouldnt be trying to self diagnose .. but I just want to get an idea or prepare myself if a diagnose is worse then I thought. My friend says hes exactly like her daughter- the one with bipolar but her daughter also has Psychotic Tendencies? I think I said that right. Ill double check. I don't know.. I hope its not that, I worry about his future once labeled with anything.. who will hire him? How will have a great job? Family? Friends? Of course, he's losing friends now...

I was reading the side effects and some caused depression, anger yikes. Thats the last thing my son needs. Sadly, looks like I will have this ADHD appointment sooner than a neuro psychiatric and I have to start somewhere... I cant keep waiting. Another bad night, bad morning.. now both kids :( I plan on showing this Dr the violence in the videos even tho thats not even my sons most extreme violence.. see what he says meanwhile. Im calling around in a short again.. be nice if they squeezed him in this week!!!! Haha I can dream