South Beach

JJJ

I have been completely unable to maintain any weight loss program. 28 weeks ago I started trying healthy living and I'm up 7 pounds.

So I went to my doctor and she recommend the South Beach diet. For a procedure next week I have to drink only clear liquids for 3 days so I'll be all "clean" to start South Beach (probably too much information LOL).

Has anyone done South Beach before? Any hints?

Thanks,

N

Nomad

I don't do South Beach...I'm a WW fan. There are certain similarities to the SB program and one of the programs on WW.

I would make sure your kitchen is only stalked with the products they recommend and some of their tv dinners and perhaps one of their snacks a week. I'm not a big believer in having too many tv dinners, but I think a few in the frig is a good idea for emergencies. Does the book have recipes? You might want to consider making some to try different things.

Good luck with your good health goals and the procedure you mentioned.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
I did South Beach for a while. It helped me make some long term changes in my eating habits. I don't follow it anymore, but I still use some of the recipes and the recommended foods (like Laughing Cow cheese - it's one of my regular afternoon snacks with-baby carrots or celery). Phase I is the hardest, but it only lasts two weeks. You can do anything for two weeks, right?

I have the SBD book and the SBD cookbook. I highly recommend both. Their packaged foods, not so much...way too much sodium for my taste. And unnecessary, really. It's pretty easy to modify your diet to be South Beach compliant.

Good luck!:bravo:
Genny

LittleDudesMom

JJJ,

like Nomad, I'm a WW person. But I say go for it! Any program that teaches you a healthier way to eat is a plus. I've learned so much in my six months at WW. My fridge is always packed with chicken, fish, fresh fruits and veggies now. Even difficult child is eating healthier because I buy very little junk. And, the "junk" I do buy is packaged in individual servings. That way, he is controlled and if I slurge, so am I!

I would suggest that you purchase the book and a recipe book before you start (or check it out in the library first). Do a kitchen cleanse if you decide to go that route. Get some ideas on snacks and meals. Get your pantry and your fridge stocked with SB options so some of your impulse eating is controlled.

When I first began WW, I found myself spending more money because I was going to the store more often for fresh stuff. I have now been able to modify my shopping so that I don't do that as often. I buy my chicken and fish (and some nice filet mignon from time to time) at Costco and then split it up when I come home. I slice up the salmon and put each filet in a seperate baggie and then one big freezer bag - same with the chicken.

This is a great time of the year for fruit as well - although I think you are limited on those at first with the SB diet. But the cherries, blueberries, stawberries, blackberries, pineapple, kiwi, and such are a fabulous deal at Costco. Check out their "cooler" section for a great buy on veggies too.

Good luck JJJ. If I can give you any advice it would be two-fold. First, do this for you. Love youself enough to take the time to plan ahead. The second would be exercise. My attitude has totally turned around about exercise. It was so difficult at first. It took me a couple months of WW before I would step foot in the gym. Now I'm doing the treadmill, the cross trainer, weights, and water aerobics - all intertwined. By loving yourself and doing this for yourself, you will find that you make the time to meal plan and make the time to get some exercise. It's important to set aside that time for you.

easy child and difficult child have benefited in two ways with my decision to get healthy. They are getting better nutrition and a happier mommy!

Come here and post when you feel like giving up, you think you've backstepped, need inspiration, or you want to share a pound lost or a healthy eating choice. Check out the recipe post on the top of the page. There are some great, healthy and yummy things there!

Glad you are doing this for you. Remember, you were the inspiration for this board on New's Year Day!!!!!!!

Sharon

Marguerite

Laughing Cow cheese is OK on a diet? I haven't bought that in ages (easy child used to take some to school in her lunchbox).

How come it's OK? Is it low fat? Or is it the portion control?

I love being able to find new ways to enjoy salads. I remember having Laughing Cow cheese as a spread on a sandwich, which I then could add salad to, or cooked chicken.

We get low-fat Philly cream cheese, that makes a great sandwich spread too. A base, anyway.

Something that I've been doing on this diet sometimes - I'll make myself a snack sort of lunch, such as a small salad or a sandwich - and take it somewhere different to eat it. Maybe to a sunny chair in the garden, or over the road into the park, or down by the wharf and sit by the sea. It also takes me away from access to more food. By the time I get home, or back to where more food is, my body is not feeling so hungry because the signals to say I've just eaten have had time to catch up and tell the brain I'm not hungry any more.

It's also a special treat to have lunch in a different and often peaceful place.

Marg

JJJ

Thanks all!

Nomad - I'm going to get a few of their tv dinners. You are right, it'd be too easy to get lazy otherwise.

Genny- I bought the SBD book and am reading it now.

Sharon - I have tried so many different exercise programs, but I haven't been able to stick with anything since I quit skating (due to time and money). I stuck with skating for over 12 years and I am thrilled that I found a group of women who have started a new group in the city about 10 minutes away from me!! So I am skating again :) :) :)

Marg -I live near a park so I could easily do that :)

Thanks again, I hope to be back for Week 29 with a great update!

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Marg -
One wedge of laughing cow cheese is only 35 calories and 2 grams of fat. Add a handful of baby carrots, sliced bell pepper, or celery (anything sturdy that you can drag through the cheese) and you have a filling, low-cal snack. They make several flavors now too; there's an herb and a french onion in addition to the original swiss. I still prefer the original, though.

JJJ - Good luck! Keep us posted :)

Genny

4sumrzn

Sorry to sneak in here. Just wanted to make a comment about the Laughing Cow Cheese.....all flavors are very good spread on Wasa Crisp'n Light (7 grain crackerbread). Only adds 20 calories & changes it up a little. Very yummy snack ;)

JJJ....I've heard good things about South Beach. Hopefully this is what you've been looking for ;)

JJJ

Well, husband agreed to go on South Beach with me. I'm hoping that it will be so much easier with the whole house on it (obviously modified for the kids as they need more fruits and grains). So far, I'm down 2.5 pounds in almost a week. (fingers crossed)

trinityroyal

JJJ, glad to hear that you're off to a good start.

South Beach is based on the Glycemic Index, which has been very successful for a lot of people. I think it's a great idea to do a modified South Beach for the whole family.

We've been doing something similar (I've adapted husband's medically supervised diet for the family) and we're all feeling fitter and healthier.

Fingers crossed for your continued success.
Trinity

JJJ

Well, the weight is continuing to fall off :) so I'm staying motivated. I've now lost all the weight I added in 2008, so I'm starting on 2007's pounds :)

Fran

Former desparate mom
I thought South Beach recipes to be one of the best tasting ever. Try the cauliflower that taste and feel like mashed potatoes. Very impressive and yummy. I can't remember the name of it. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up and post it.

Good for you.

JJJ

Thanks Fran. I love the south beach mashed "potatoes" too. I made them and didn't tell husband & the kids and they didn't notice a difference :)