Spayed dogs

Malika

Well, don't know about the broth... this morning Pup was a bit more lively, walking and wagging her tail half-heartedly. She eagerly ate some chicken breast... I will attempt the broth later. She doesn't have stitches I think, but has been sprayed with aluminium (if I understood the vet correctly). Or maybe she has stitches and this aluminium. She keeps trying to lick it, but stops when I call her name...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Because Molly is a licker and a picker (doesn't that sound so nice lol ) the vet who spayed her used internal stitches and dissolved. He was worried she'd chew them out. Now that is how he worded it. I'm still not sure what he meant. But she healed great with no infection so I guess it was all good. :)

Malika

Actually she had licked off all the aluminium during the night... She must have stitches, thinking about it, as the vet wants me to go back in 10 to 12 days. Really he was very swift and didn't have much to say other than asking me whether I was paying by cheque or credit card :) Thanks for the various advice. I will just take her on little walks. And hope the stitches stay together.

Malika

Terrible! I simmered my chicken broth for about five hours, waited for it to cool and then gave it to the dog - and she won't drink it!!

donna723

I wouldn't worry too much about the chicken broth. That's mostly for dogs that have digestive upsets and can't tolerate other foods. The boiled chicken and rice is a very bland food that is usually given to dogs that are having diarrhea or vomiting - it's NOT necessary after routine surgery unless they are having digestive problems. She will eat when she feels like eating, usually the day or so after the spay surgery. As long as she is drinking water and doesn't get dehydrated she will be fine ... she won't starve from going without food for a day or so. You might want to bring the food to where she is because she may be too sore to want to get up and walk. If you want to try to tempt her to eat you might try offering her good quality canned dog food, but just give her time and she will eat when she's ready to eat. Don't worry.

Malika

Thanks Donna - I'm sure she will eat when she is ready (just a bit gutted about all this chicken broth I've now got :) )
More worried about the licking she is doing all the time...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Don't sweat the licking unless the area appears to be inflamed, bleeding or such. That's how they heal wounds in the wild...

donna723

If she has visible stitches or staples that she might pull out by licking and biting at them, you might try finding some baby "onesies" that would fit her and put them on her. It will prevent her from getting at the stitches and an added benefit is that you get to laugh at her while she's wearing them! One of my Bostons, Katy is a very big girl at 31 pounds and when she had her surgery I measured her and looked for baby clothes that would fit her to keep her from biting her stitches. The only thing I could find big enough to fit her was a little yellow Toddler size 2 sunsuit with ruffles on the bottom. I put it on her and of course she hated it, but it kept her from biting and licking her stitches. I finally took it off of her but every time she started licking her stitches again I would pick up the sunsuit, wave it around, and say, "Do you see this?" And she would immediately stop licking!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The licking is not an issue unless it's pulling out stitches, of course... But - donna's right. Onesies annoy the dogs no end, but they DO help. And biting at them is also normal - and NOT good.

Malika

Well, she is licking rather than biting (she is, after all, a very easy child dog!). She has started peeing inside the house, though. I wonder if this is because she is temporarily incontinent (obviously I am taking her outside briefly during the day)...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If you have a way to put down puppy pads, do it... Or at least newspapers. It might hurt to pee right now...

Malika

She seems to be peeing much more frequently than usual. Poor thing, although she has been a bit livelier today, she is still looking dazed and bewildered... bound to take some time to heal. Oh, and she has now had three bowls of chicken broth :) She was peeing inside before them, though...

InsaneCdn

Still looking dazed and bewildered = not over it yet.
Drinking chicken broth... well, she's improving!

The whole pee thing... first guess is temporary incontinence.
If it doesn't resolve in a day or so, go back to the vet in case its a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).

Steely

Yes, for sure go back to the vet if it doesn't resolve soon. Tesla had a crazy Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) when I adopted her - poor baby. They have no way of telling us they hurt - she just peed a lot.