Speaking of "green" homes...

flutterby

Fly away!
We had this horrible smell in my cupboard and it seemed like it was coming from the plastic bag on the bread. I took out the loaf I thought was the offending one and it still smelled bad in the cupboard, but after a day the plastic on that loaf of bread didn't smell. But, the plastic on the other loafs in the cupboard (various breads for various people) smelled.

So, I thought it came from the store. We shopped at a store we don't normally shop at. But, after a day out of the cupboard, bread packaging smelled normal, but the cupboard still smelled horrible.

Now, I have a very sensitive sense of smell. It gave me a headache just to open the cupboard. It's a double cupboard. It contains canned goods, spices and breads, so I couldn't figure out what could be causing it.

So, I started to take everything out, and on the top shelf, in the very back where I can't see AND behind the spices was a rather old, rather green package of hamburger buns. :sick:

I now have a bowl of baking soda in the cupboard hoping to get rid of the smell. I always loved opening that cupboard because it smelled good. Obviously, the previous owner kept her spices in there, too.

This is what happens when kids put groceries away and just shove things in.

crazymama30

Make a vinegar and water solution and spray it in the cupboard and let it dry. It helps with other odors, might help with that.

flutterby

Fly away!
CM - I'll give the baking soda 24 hours. It usually does the trick. Since I'm so sensitive to smells, I try to avoid things like vinegar. But, I know it's good at getting rid of odors so I'll try that if the baking soda doesn't work.

I think I have some apple cider vinegar. That might not be as intense. Think it would work?

Gcv - I know, right? Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it for kids to have chores....

ctmom05

Losing track of food and various kitchen supplies probably happens more often than you think.

To stay more organized and fully utilize the food and supplies I have on hand, I made an inventory list of what I have in the freezer. Mind you, I only have a top of the fridge freezer, but stuff can get buried and forgotten even in there.

I also took inventory of my baking suppliesI bake all our bread and a lot of the goodies we eat.

Money is super tight here and I feel this organized approach helps me meet the "pantry challenge" which means to prepare meals and snacks from what you have on hand, without making extra trips to the store for one....more....thing. It also helps me use food up while it is still in date. Having to ditch food because it is no longer good means you haven't gotten to eat it; it's like throwing a meal down the drain.