Speaking of "Natural Consequences"....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
difficult child got herself a doozy!

A few weeks ago, she had the first two wisdom teeth removed. Since the teeth had not erupted yet, the dentist had to make an incision...and difficult child had stitches in her gums. (ouch!)

Well, difficult child didn't follow the aftercare instructions...

And now, the area is swollen, red and painful. difficult child assumes it is infected but finds it strange because "everything healed just fine".

So today, we have an emergency appointment at the dentist...not even a specific time, they are just going to try and squeeze her in. husband and I were trying to figure out how we were going to handle the dentist and still get everyone where they need to be without missing too much time from work. We discussed the fact that difficult child might be "in-and-out" at the dentist....or they might have to drain the infection, which could take a while. So we were trying to come up with different scenarios in case the appointment takes a long time.

difficult child, of course, thinks we are being completely ridiculous. After all, it's "just a mouth infection" and "really no big deal"...

I tried to tell her this IS a big deal....and in her most withering, condescending tone (the one that only teenaged girls can muster) she declared

"They don't drain mouth infections!"

So, I guess I'm an idiot. We'll see what the dentist says.

Wish us luck!

TerryJ2

Argh!

Like she'd really know?

GOOD LUCK! (P.S. I'd use that $500 she wants to loan out, for this dental appointment.)

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Tell her...

Basically any dental infection is serious. I've had more than my share. And...

Anaerobic bacteria are a common cause of infections, some of which can be serious and life-threatening.

Anaerobes involve almost all dental infections. These include periapical and dental abscesses, endodontal pulpitis and periodontal (gingivitis and periodontitis) infections, and perimandibular space infection., Pulpitis can lead to abscess formation and eventually spread to the mandible and other neck spaces.

This is from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_infection

Calamity Jane

I was in the bottom 1% of patients who got a "dry socket" after wisdom teeth removal surgery. Mine were growing sideways and would've grown in very painfully if the endodontist didn't go in there and remove them before they erupted. The dry socket usually occurs when you don't bite down long enough on the cotton gauze they give you after the surgery, and a few days after the removal it is sooooo very painful. I hope that's not what happened to difficult child.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I hope that's not what happened to difficult child.

No...difficult child had no exposed "sockets", but sutures along the gums. The incision closed and the sutures dissolved.

NOW the area is swollen, red and painful. So it's something, but probably not a "dry socket".

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
UPDATE:

Good news - the dentist is not worried about it. He says to just keep an eye on it...he doesn't think she needs antibiotics or anything at this point.

Phew!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
That's good for you, but in a way... She SHOULD have to deal with the consequences!

Oh I know - right? I swear if I skipped brushing even ONE night, I'd have a raging abscess the very next day! Leave it to difficult children to coast through...