Speaking of rising prices...

muttmeister

I was in the grocery store yesterday and I needed potatoes. Isn't that what poor people used to eat to fill up on when they couldn't afford to have anything better? 20 pounds of potatoes was $12.97.:faint: 10 pounds was $6.79. ***?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Aldi's mutt is the food shopper's best friend.

Yup. Potatoes used to be the poor man's friend. Now it's pasta and rice. But I think there is a shortage on rice, isn't there? Still I haven't noticed the price really going up.

We wouldn't be surviving if I didn't go to Aldi's. I get twice as much food for the same amount. Walmart is only for things I can't get at aldi's. And I'll use Travis' discount at kroger if they have something cheap. (usually only meat or produce)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Price Rite stores have LOTS of discounted food items, including meats and produce. I always save a bundle when I shop there. I wish there was one closer.

donna723

I didn't think the rice shortage was even in the US, it was supposedly only in Asia ... but any excuse to raise prices. I don't eat a lot of rice myself but I put it in the homemade stuff I give my dogs and the price has more than doubled in the last few months! It would be cheaper for me to take them to the Sonic on Tuesdays and get them all the $1.00 hamburgers they could eat! Another thing that is outrageous now is cereal! I've pretty much given it up. I'm just glad I'm not still raising cereal-hoovering kids because I couldn't afford to buy it for them at $4 to $5 a box!

4sumrzn

I've noticed the price of potatoes shoot way up myself :( Thing is....I used to throw out a partial bag of taters if they went bad. NOW, I make sure we eat every single one before it happens. I've always hated throwing out food....but, I really hate it now when the grocery bill has doubled & pretty much refuse to throw anything away.

goldenguru

Ahh yes - I just finished my grocery shopping. I can't believe how the price of EVERYTHING has increased. I picked up a bag of pita chips (to eat with hummus). It was $3.57. We're eating our hummus on saltines thank you.

I'm seriously thinking I'll need to plant a vegetable garden next year.

Glad I'm not feeding teenagers any more. Geesh.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm going to check out this Aldi - but realized our gas is now $5.90 a gallon and it's 12 miles from my home and my car gets 18 miles city - so by the time I drive there and back, unless I have to go - I'm not saving anything.

We're eating PB&J and buying CHeerios for occasional dinners. I like it - it helps with my cholesterol and if I have a banana with it it's a change.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star is there someone you could carpool with and make the trip? Ours is 20 mins away and I still find it worth it to go. But usually easy child and I try to make the trip together and split the gas.

Seriously, we wouldn't be eating without the place. :(

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I did a bit of snooping and found out why gas prices in the South and SE have skyrocketed while the rest of the nation seems comparatively unaffected.

Turns out that many of the Southern states are on the terminii of gasoline pipelines running directly from the Houston seaport refineries. Those refineries were shut down in anticipatio of Ike.

Up here in the North, our oil comes from Canada and from the "northern" end of the Gulf.

Much of our gasoline is refined from oil processed in the Great Lakes area around Chicago and IN.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
TM, you may have just saved us! :D THANK YOU!

They have a location right here in our little rinky dink town! YIPPEE! (tells ya how bad it is around here) I sent an email right off to them. And will call them first thing monday. :D That's wonderful!

F

flutterbee

We may be 'spared' because of the gas pipelines, but our gas was $3.59 Wed and is $3.99 today. :sick:

KTMom91

I am amazed at the prices of fruits and vegetables. I live in Central CA, where there are farms and more farms, all growing wonderful things to eat, and they're plowing under because there's a water shortage. Then STOP building houses on that farmland! Look at infill projects, let the farmers keep growing things, have more farmer's markets, promote the stuff we grow, not the stuff we import, make it more cost effective for the farmers to get their stuff to us, and more cost effective for us to buy the fresh veggies instead of mush in a can...

:soapbox: I know...sorry.