Speaking of strong women...

witzend

We were talking about Helen Reddy on the "obnoxious songs" thread, and I'm not a big fan. That being said, I am and always have been a HUGE fan of Julia Child. There was a woman who knew what she wanted and went for it in spite of it being absurd that she might ever accomplish it. Some of my favorite quotes by her:

“Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.”

“The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.”

"The body is like a finely tuned machine. If you don't put in enough oil, it breaks down."

“Life itself is the proper binge.”

“It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it.”

"If you're afraid of butter, just use cream."

What would she have done if she hadn't gone into cooking? "I would have married a Republican Banker and become an alcoholic."

What a hoot! Who's going to see the new movie?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I saw the preview where she goes home and "perfects" the art of chopping up the onions - and it just looks like a scream....

I can't wait either!

Marguerite

I've always admired helen Mirren - a bit outrageous at times when it wasn't done, but a brilliant actress who took on daring roles with a point. I first saw her in "Age of Consent" when I was 15. She played a 15 year old girl who posed nude for an artsist (loosely based on Norman Lindsay who wrote the book) and I loved the film. I was too innocent to see naything dirty in te relationship between artist & model - and of course, there was nothing in the relationship. But in the film, others saw what wasn't there and caused problems. The film was beautiful, filmed oon Great Barrier Reef and had James Mason as the artist (doing a very good Aussie accent).

Ever since then I've like everything I've seen of Helen Mirren. "Calendar Girls" was wonderful.

Also on my list - Pauline Collins especially in "Shirley Valentine". Filmed in the Greek islands, about a woman who learns more about herself than she has been able to for years.

I do love those Julia Child quotes. There are some wonderful quotes by strong women. I make a point of learning them all and freely plagiarise!

Marg

N

Nomad

JUST SAW AND JUST POSTED!!!!

And yes, she is a HOOT!!!! STRONG was one of the words I used in my post, as well as interesting and fun! It was a delight to see the way she so deeply loved her husband. :D