Speaking of tdocs...

klmno

We're currently seeing two- not because we intend to always see two, but because I was trying to find one that I thought could (would) follow the treatment plan that has already been recommended and I agree with it. So, we were kind of giving two different ones a chance until I decided which one to "jump in" with. (These are the same ones we've been seeing for several mos. now.)

Anyway, I agree with difficult child that one of these tdocs obviously is used to working with very young children. He's probably good at it, too, but it isn't a comfortable fit for us. The other is used to working with major drug addicts (older than difficult child). It wouldn't matter, except we really don't feel like either of these guys can truly relate to difficult child's issues and we can't really relate to their comparisoms of our situations with either a 5 yo or 25 yo, Know what I mean?? I mean, the one REALLY looks and acts like he should be in a room counseling little ones- which is fine, we just feel out of place. And the other- drugs, drugs, drugs, rehab, rehab, rehab, Which is fine, too, unless you're a 13 yo who has different issues.

Now, I just found out that I have an opportunity to pursue counseling with a therapist at the place difficult child's MDE was done last year. The catch- this guy is a psychology intern( more precisely- a psychologist-in-training.). He would be working with the psychiatrist who lead difficult child's MDE and who heads this place. We would need to switch difficult child from his regular psychiatrist so he would be seeing that psychiatrist. This is a place that is supposed to be highly renown for BiPolar (BP) and other mood disorder work. That psychiatrist gave me the best hope- I mean I left there feeling like my son really had a good chance at life and she wrote the recommended treatment plan. of course, it gets tweaked occasionally as things transpire, but I think that is to be expected.

So- Would you guys try this if it were your difficult child- even though it would be with an intern? Oh- I should clarify- it would be with an intern because they have no licensed male counselors who specialize in this available. I asked specifically for a male because difficult child is more comfortable with it and it is probably good for both of us. Everyone who has ever been involved in difficult child's treatment has felt a male would be MUCH better for him, due to his specific issues.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
I think I woudl try it. We had some interns who didn't know their tushie from a cookie, and some who were downright amazing when we were at Children's in Cinci for therapy. If they ahve a male who is willing to work with an excellent psychiatrist AND deal with your difficult child's issues on his level, sounds like it might be promising. But sit in on some sessions.

klmno

Thanks, Susie, I told him that I'd like to come talk to him a couple of times alone first. He would primarily be difficult child's therapist- but not completely. There would need to be times that I would want to talk to him (with difficult child and alone), too. It wouldn't be off-topic or to try to find out what difficult child is saying, but more about how difficult child is doing, what I've been trying, strategies, etc.

I was wondering if (hoping) interns might be more open to things like TEC/CPS instead of being set in their ways with one approach- what was your experience in that regard?

trinityroyal

Klmno,
I think this sounds like a great opportunity.
My difficult child has been through the full gamut of tdocs over the years, some with credentials up the wazoo but no skills to speak of, and some fresh out of school who have been excellent (and vice versa too).

If your gut is telling you that this therapist is a good fit for your difficult child, and he will be under supervision by the therapist who wrote the treatment plan, then it sounds like you have a good chance of success with him. Far better than with the 2 tdocs you've already been working with. If you're not comfortable, then there is a reason.

It sounds like a good decision to me.

Trinity

klmno

Thanks, Trinity! I'm glad to hear others have tried this!

Now- the next question is- should I mention anything to the psychiatrist that difficult child has been seeing yet? difficult child has an appointment tomorrow so now I'm not sure how to address it. When we saw the MDE psychiatrist last mo, which was to discuss the therapist issue, she automatically wrote scripts for difficult child. I didn't say anything, but he didn't need scripts because he's been seeing his regular psychiatrist. I didn't have her scripts filled or anything. But, I do know that these 2 psychiatrists have discussed difficult child's case at least twice since last Oct- I suspect more, but I don't mind because I had signed release forms and actually did prefer that regular psychiatrist did confer with her. Now, I'm wondering if she's talked to him already about the possibility of difficult child switching from him to her. It feels a little awkward to me- difficult child saw a therapist in psychiatrist's office over 2 years ago when all this started- that is one that turned into a nightmare situation. I know psychiatrist doesn't understand, but psychiatrist never gives appts long eneough to have a discussion with me about it.

So- do you think I should mention the potential change tomorrow?

F

flutterbee

I say go for it, but I wouldn't mention the potential change until it's all in place. No need to.

As for the intern part...I wouldn't let that stop me. I've had medication students in the hospital who impressed me more than the staff doctors. I also remember when easy child was in the second grade...walked him in on the first day of school, saw the teacher and thought she looked like she was 16 and went, "OMG...she's learning on my kid!" She turned out to be one of the best teacher's easy child has ever had.

One thing to remember is the field of psychology is always evolving and the newest doctors or interns are going to have learned the most up to date information and therapies.

Wiped Out

Staff member
When we switched psychiatrists we made sure that the other one would see difficult child for sure and then mentioned it. It was the best move we ever made for difficult child-his psychiatrist rocks!