Spin Pin hair clips?

susiestar

Roll With It
Has anyone tried the new spin pin hair clips? They look like wire or plastic corkscrews and you twist them into a hairstyle to hold them in place. I have been fascinated by them but super reluctant to spend $7+ for 2 hair clips.

Today we were at Hobby Lobby looking at bead findings and they had 3 wire spin pin type things (not the brand name, these are wire and the same brand as the plain barrettes and jewelry findings) for just $1.99!!!! I got one to try and they are AWESOME!!!

I doubt I will decorate them, but you could fasten beads or some type of decoration or even put ribbons on them if you wanted. My hair is super hard to put up into any style (most hairstylists end up cursing about the third time I go to leave and the hair falls out of the updo or braid before I leave the salon) and these stayed with no problems. They also didn't dig into my head like combs and even bobby pins can.

$1.99 makes them awesome small gifts or stocking stuffers.

slsh

member since 1999
I love these things. My hair is too heavy/thick for bobby pins, combs are just useless, but 2 of these spin pins hold a bun, twist, or french braid (tucked over itself) in place all day long. I don't remember what I paid for them, but they're virtually indestructible.

H

HaoZi

It looks cool and simple, which in my hands and hair would quickly become a torture device, because my hair skills really are that bad.

Lothlorien

I'll have to check these out. I always put my hair up in one of those spider clips.

About the video....what's up with the guy eating in front of the mirror?? Odd.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Like HaoZi, my hair skills are pretty bad. Mostly because hair do dads will not work in my hair which is super thick and super fine texture. (what a combo! hair stylist hate me) I have to get a special type of clip and the prongs of it have to be just right to get it to stay in my hair.

I watched the video, thanks witz, and I'm thinking of about a hundred ways I can get that caught in my hair and never get them out again. :faint:

I used to like the topsy tail contraption, until I got sick of constantly having my hair in knots just to simulate a hair style.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...and this is why my hair is almost always in a ponytail. A messy one, but a ponytail nonetheless.

Super thick + superfine + supercurly = EEEEEEEEEE!

trinityroyal

Super thick + superfine + supercurly = EEEEEEEEEE!

Yup, me too.

I'm a bit afraid of the corkscrew effect of the spin pins. I can just imagine having to cut a hank out of my hair to remove the knotted mess.

I have had pretty good luck with those old-style leather barrettes with the wooden peg that you poke through the holes. They were very popular in the early 70s, but you can still find them around in some places. I've also used chop sticks, which seem to work very well for me. I get the lacquered kind, rather than plain wood, so that they slide through my hair instead of getting caught in it.

slsh

member since 1999
You know, I was worried about tangles too, but I haven't had a single one. My hair is really dense and I did manage to uncorkscrew one of the pins when I was trying to put it into a twist that was too twisted, but... otherwise, they're really easy. You just unscrew them to get them out.

I love chopsticks too, but can't find them anymore.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am about the WORST person with hair that is imaginable. Y'all probably look like hair stylists to the stars compared to me. I used to have problems putting J's hair into a basic ponytail!!! At age 2 she would come home with amazingly cute, fun, and complicated hair styles that the daycare teacher gave her. I usually couldn't even take them down. Jess at age 2 was better than I was, lol!! I actually paid extra straight to the woman for doing it because J loved it so much.

If I can do these things with hair that is almost long enough to sit on, then y'all probably can.

If you like these, or even just want to try, go find them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby - they are so much cheaper there. I don't buy many hair things other than ponytail holders, but have watned the spin pins since last xmas. I just have an incredibly hard time paying $7+ for a hair doodad. I was SHOCKED at $1.99 for three of these wire ones!

J has super thick super fine hair and it stayed up for hours with 2 of the spin pins.