split nail advice

Abbey

Spork Queen
One of the advantages of not working (ha) is I have long nails for the first time in probaly 20 years. But my thumb nails split right down the middle. They are approaching the middle of the nail.

I've tried OTC things, even Super Glue. Any suggestions?

The downside of long nails is I used to be able to type 90wpm. Now, it's about 2wpm with lots of mistakes.

Abbey

susiestar

Roll With It
I used to grow my nails out. When I would get a split somewhere or need to strengthen an area before it broke I would do the following.

Get a teabag. Any kind of tea, does not matter what king. Tear open the DRY tea bag and dump the tea out. Tear off a piece of the teabag to cover the area and to wrap around and under the nail if it is possible. If you need to strengthen a problem area that has not broken it doesn't need to be wrapped under the nail.

Make sure you TEAR the bag - do NOT cut it. The torn edges will sort of feather out at the edges and blend in but if you cut it the edges will show in a line.

Take whatever nail polish is handy and put a coat on the nail and under the nail if you are folding over. Gently place the torn bit of tissue from the teabag over the split or weakened spot. Make sure it is saturated with the polish.

Tuck it under the nail using an orange stick, cuticle pusher, toothpick or other long nail.

Let it dry. Then put on another coat of polish when you have time.

I hope this helps.

You can actually buy tissues to wrap nails in at beauty supply stores, or you used to be able to, but I never liked them as well as the teabag tissue.

Lothlorien

Abbey, I have very strong nails....always have, but used to get that a lot. I don't anymore. Part of it is stress. Make sure you are taking a good vitamin supplement with a good amount of B-complex. The other thing is that you need to use more olive oil in your diet. Extra virgin olive oil with lemon juice on your salad is great, once a day. Use olive oil when cooking rather than vegetable or corn oil (unless you are making fried chicken or something that needs high heat). Olive oil is good for your complexion, too. My friend had a lot of acne along the side of her face and between drinking tons of water and using olive oil a few times a day (along with some other dietary changes) her face cleared up amazingly.

Speading olive oil on your nails and letting it sit for a while is very good for your nails (just don't drip on the carpet).

Try to wear gloves while doing dishes, but if you can't make sure you use a good hand cream afterward, paying special attention to your nails.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I would be making a quick run to the Nail parlor :) They will do one nail for a few dollars.

I wouldn' be sealing any tea bag on it (brilliant idea though) without putting some fungal stuff on it first, especially if its a deep crack.

Marcie

Marguerite

I've not used tea bags, but I have used a scrap torn from a dry wet wipe. It is strong and holds well. These days though I use the fibreglass patches I bought ages ago from the pharmacy. I cut it to fit, I don't cover the whole nail and I use every scrap of the patches over time (I'm still using a pack I bought 12 years ago).

I've also used scraps of muslin fabric, or even silk scraps from an old shirt.

I also endorse the antifungal treatment. Also you may need to take multivitamins and gelatine, in case the split is due to a vitamin or mineral deficiency. My mother used to make my sister eat jelly, to help strengthen her nails.

Marg

KTMom91

My Granny used tissue paper to repair her nails. If the crack is really bad, though, I'd make sure there was no infection and see if the nail was lifting off the nail bed. I hit one of my acrylics and nearly lifted the whole thing off once, and put on a super tight band-aid to hold everything together. The nail did reattach eventually, but it hurt like crazy for a long, long time.