Sprialing

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child seems to definitely be spiraling. Traditionally Octobers have been hard for him but last October wasn't too bad.

This week has not been a good one for him. Earlier in the week I wrote that he hit me in the face and threw a custard dish at easy child.

Thursday morning he gave husband a horrible time in the morning all over an orgami box husband made for difficult child that difficult child didn't think was big enough. He was screaming, swearing at husband, not to mention making husband late for work. Finally husband told difficult child he would just have to stay home by himself. difficult child came running out crying that he wanted to go to school so he got in the car and went.

After school yesterday he came to my room and didn't like the fact that I told him he didn't have time to play on the computer. When he restarted it, I shut it down. He shoved me and was told he would be on STW, he shoved again (added in another night). He went after a scissors that I was able to get away from him (not sure what he was planning on doing with that).

Last night husband and I got home around 9:00 because of easy child's junior parent night (easy child was home with difficult child). He should have been sound asleep with from his medications but he was up and not tired. Threw a HUGE tantrum because husband couldn't read to him because of the STW.

He ended up getting mad at me at one point, tried to pour soda on me, tried to throw a load of laundry on me, coughed on me on purpose and took a knife and was stabbing husband's box of microwave popcorn.

Today I received a huge e-mail from his Special Education case manager and it was full of things that have been going on lately (including leaving classrooms, shoving teachers, swearing). Then I received a call from her around noon, he had shoved two teachers. They processed with him and he received a lunch detention. I received another call to say his afternoon was rough but not as bad as the morning. She said he appears very manic lately!

I did talk to psychiatrist's nurse and we are going to increase his Loxapine back to where it was. Problem with that is he gets so tired and slurs some of his words.

ARGH This became much longer than I wanted. Thank you if you made it this far. Please cross your fingers that the medication increase helps because he can't keep spiraling like this.

slsh

member since 1999
Sharon, crazymama beat me to the question - are you still getting respite/crisis services? You all definitely need a break.

October was always a bad month for thank you. Was hospitalized every year he was home from the age of 7 up. *Bad* month.

As always, I worry about the level of aggression he displays towards you.

I will keep my fingers crossed the medication tweak stops the spiral without too many side effects.

I do want to say, I'm impressed that he and easy child were able to be alone in the house together, and the house was still standing when you and husband got home. ;) Only a little envious here, LOL. I'm not sure I could do that with- my alleged PCs. :rofl:

Big hug to you.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Crazymama-It has been the week from Hades! Respite is coming up both of the next two weekends but they seem a long way off right now.

Sue-As for respite-as I said to CM-it's coming just not soon enough. As for leaving both kids alone; we can only do it when we really can judge their moods, otherwise the house might be standing but one of them might not!

TPaul-thanks!

Oh and then this son of mine who has been so miserable to us all week and who plays Mr. Tough guy. Cried as husband went out to dinner tonight because husband didn't see him waving. He is such an interesting little guy. Can be yelling and hating us one minute, crying for us (especially husband) the next. He even had me tuck him in and he went to sleep very early tonight (b4 8:00). Maybe that means he'll be more settled tomorrow?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ugh. I hope the medication adjustment helps. It's so hard when their stability is so fragile. You know that it's their illness, but it doesn't stop you from wanting to throttle them!

I'm glad you're getting some respite soon.

((Hugs))

crazymama30

WO, I now have a whole new respect for sleep. The one big difference between my difficult child and husband is difficult child is almost always alseep by 9pm, and awake by 7 or 8am and husband is never. difficult child is much more stable as a result.

Hope you make it to respite weekend. Go Respite.

M

ML

Oh Sharon I am so sorry. I feel so bad for him and for your family. Please know that prayers and support are coming your way. Love, ML

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon ~ every year around this time difficult child seems to "flip" out. I'm glad to hear you still have respite but how about crisis intervention.

wm has been & still is taken to emergent respite if he gets out of control at group home (or as he did here). Honey, I worry for you & your entire family. difficult child cannot continue at this rate ~ he's getting older & juvenile will start getting involved soon.

Take care, my friend.

Wiped Out

Staff member
TM-Thanks for the hugs. Today was somewhat better. No violence and even a few bright spots but still lots of strange behaviors.

Gvcmom-Thanks-I'm hoping the medication adjustments helps too and I so understand that it's the illness and wanting to throttle him at the same time!

CM-Yep sleep is a good thing for our difficult children!

ML-Thanks for the prayers and support.

Fran-Thanks-seems like every few months we end up adjusting medications/ he does better on the higher doses in some ways but the speech slurring and sleepiness become a problem. Hopefully this will help.

Linda-I so wish we had crisis intervention like we did for a short while. I'm worried that soon respite will be a thing of the past (which just figures as he now has a place he loves to go) because I don't know that we the program he is involved in will keep him after his 18 months is up in November. I'm worried too about juvenile getting involved. For all his toughness he is so not streetwise and easily taken advantage of.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well I hope when you finally get the respite you take a nice long relaxing breath and try to enjoy the short time... I would imagine it goes by fast.
The violence does sound scary still, at least with K she has decreased with hers and she is still pretty young.
Your difficult child is getting much older and bigger. I also hope some medications changes help.
September Slumps/Fall is so hard for some of our kids...

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Totoro, we do try to relax and it does go by fast! The violence is scary but has declined from where it once was.

klmno

((HUGS)) If I remember correctly (can't be too sure with my mind LOL!), the school year started out not too bad and he's been doing better. I know that makes the times when things go backwards more frustrating but it seems to be par for the course to take baby steps forward, then have a turn backwards for a bit. I hope this is all this is and that you can get him back on track very soon.