Squash/ ground chicken lasagna

Jody

I made this dish, just by adding a lot of things that I like, and it was so good I thought I would share it.

I got some ground chicken on sale at Walmart the other day. I took the package and put it in a bowl and added minced onion, minced garlic, 1/2 of a red pepper, cut into small pieces and mixed with basil, black pepper and sea salt. I flattened it out and put it in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes. I put one layer of lasagna noodles on the bottom, and spread the meat mixture out on top of that. I then added some prego tomato sauce and some parmesean cheese sprinkles and and some mozzarla and then added a layer of yellow squash and salt and pepper and mushrooms, and then cut up zucchini on top of that with a little more cheese and spaghetti sauce.

It was so good. I only made a small pan and I ate it for lunch and dinner last night. you could add whatever you like or take off what you don't like. There wsnt a need for a lot of noodles or a lot of cheese, because everything was very flavorful.

LittleDudesMom

Sounds good! We use lean ground turkey for most ground beef recipes now. I actually haven't tried ground chicken yet.

I've done the lasagna without the noodles - depending on what I find at the farmer's market, I use thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant! I also do a mixture of low fat cottage cheese mixed with egg whites and herbs and a little bit of parm! Yum! It's only 7 am but I'm making myself hungry!!!!

I'm going to try the ground chicken.

Sharon

Jody

I never have had ground chicken and found it on sale and went ahead and tried it. I love ground turkey and turkey burgers. I eat very healthy but havent gotten the portion control right!!!! There is just no reason for me to be so heavy except that I eat too much. Ugh.

InsaneCdn

There is just no reason for me to be so heavy except that I eat too much. Ugh.
I disagree...
We need a certain volume of food, just to get enough core nutrients.
For people like you, then challenge is in getting enough activity to go with those calories.
That new lab might be helping a bit.. :D

Jody

IC the new lab is killing me. She is absolute torture. I can't get my right arm above my head for any reason. I have thrown so many tennis balls. She is definately helping me get out and about. Ill check out the article when I get home, after playtime. lol. thank you.

JKF

YUM! This sounds delicious Jody! I will definitely be trying this.

We recently started using ground chicken and we absolutely LOVE it. I make really good meatballs with it using fresh Italian herbs, smashed garlic, minced onion, oats (instead of breadcrumbs), a little parmesan cheese, a touch of sea salt and pepper. Omg - they are to die for and my husband - who wasn't really on the ground chicken train in the beginning - actually prefers them over beef now. We haven't had much beef in a few months and it's making a huge difference in how we look and feel.

Thanks for sharing your recipe!!