Squatter from H*ll update

TerryJ2

So, P's apt mgr called today and left me a msg. His atty went to court in NYC to evict Carol the Squatter. Carol showed up, sans atty. Good on 3 points--she showed up, she didn't waste $ on an atty, and didn't ask the court to appointment one.
She said she has no job and no place to live and she talked about her dog a lot.
(So what else is new?)
The judge gave her until June 30 to be out.
(The mgr gave her until May 31 to be out. Sigh.)
Then the sheriff or police or whomever has jurisdiction in NYC comes and gets her out, incl taking out the lock. And throwing her clothes on the sidewalk, if it comes to that.

I called the mgr and discussed the "buyout." Not much left any more ... he's going to subtract rent for the time that Carol the Squatter was/is in there, and subtract atty fees, refund the damage deposit (which, he said was probably $50, considering how long P has lived there) and send me a check as soon as Carol gets out.
She's GOT to leave!!!

I called P and told her. She was THRILLED that Carol the Squatter was still in the apt and didn't have to leave right now. She re-told the same story about how Carol went to an interview and sat for an hr, only to be told that they weren't interviewing that day. (Sorry, but that story is 6 wks old. She should have 42 more stories on top of that for ea day she's interviewed with-a new company.)
Then I told P that she was paying Carol's rent.
WHAT!!!!???
Yep, finally got through to P.
Dingalingaling!

I hope she remembers all this tomorrow.
:winnersmiley:

Mattsmom277

Sorry its yet another month to get her out, but thank goodness there's a FINAL deadline with power to have her removed with her belongings if she won't go. For your sake and P's, it is good it hit her a bit now that she sees she is paying P's way. She will likely be easier to discuss this topic with if it is necessary again.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm glad the manager is giving her 1 month less but if the judge gave her 1 month more - whom do you think she's going to listen to?

donna723

I can't even imagine how frustrating this all must be for you! Did they ever turn off the power in the apartment? If they didn't, who has been paying the bill?

TerryJ2

Yes, the power was off for less than one day. Carol the Squatter got some lawyer to call ConEdison and threaten them, so a ConEd guy went to the apt and got into it with-the landlord. The landlord caved.
ConEd is paying the bill. Idjits.

Star*

call 911........call 911
So Squathead is smart enough........to get an attorney, get power, get a free ride.........but not smart enough to get a job, have gainful employment and find her own place?

and everyone in NY is BUYING this? MELARKEY

witzend

Hopefully landlord will prevail on the May 31st thing. He HAS to know that he can rent it out for way more than your aunt is paying rent controlled. I'd want her out last year if I were him!

H

HaoZi

Considered small claims court to make her pay for every month she's stayed so far?

TerryJ2

No, because she doesn't have any money. I would win, but so what?

The mgr is going to gut the place and make it into a condo, then sell it for much, much more than our measly rent would bring in.