SSI disability - Dude turned down

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - if HE got turned down - HOW does anyone get it?

Or is this par for the course.

He called today, angry, upset.....rambling about what gave him PTSD - and he was probably a jerk to the interviewer -OR she didn't belive all the stuff he was spewing (which is really too believable to most).

He said "They don't think I'm crazy enough to get SSI disability Momma." lol

He has an appointment with THEIR doctor tomorrow - what should we expect? Anyideas? I've decided to take the time off work to take him. Maybe someone who was there needs to list this stuff for them and back up his absurd life.

trinityroyal

Star, I don't know if this is the case where you are, but the local equivalent of SSI in my neck of the woods has an unwritten policy that they decline the first request for benefits for just about everybody. That way they weed out those who are unable or unwilling to jump through the hoops required to actually get benefits.

When difficult child's first application was rejected, husband aimed the full force of his intellect and vocabulary at them (a very scary prospect for any bureaucrat on the receiving end), and sorted it out. difficult child now receives the highest possible benefit amount, plus health coverage, drug and dental plan, and a transportation allowance.

I think it's a good idea that you go with him and fight with him and for him. This is one of those times when having a Warrior Mom standing beside you is all to the good.

The process is hostile to anyone. If you have any sort of distorted thinking or other troubles, it's dang-near impossible to get through.

Do you have an pile of paperwork kicking around that would create an impressive thud when hitting the top of someone's desk? If so, I'd take it along with you. Documentation, and LOTS of it, will sometimes help you win the day.

Know that I'm at your back, propping you and Dude up and giving you all the strength I can muster, to help you fight and win this battle. Saying many prayers.

Trinity

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Star, Trinity is absolutely right. I've been told that "it's a given" to get turned down the first time someone applies. I don't know if they are trying to filter out those who get easily discouraged. It's a PITA to play this game but most of the time it's a game you still have to play.

If you can, I would also suggest that you go with Dude to these appointments. Most of our kids can't handle the administrative nightmare- heck, most of us Moms hate it, too!

Good luck,
Suz

DammitJanet

Most get turned down the first time. Heck it took me going all the way to the administrative hearing! That means I was turned down twice. Well actually I was turned down 3 times but that is because I gave up the first time and let my time elapse and had to start the whole process over. DONT DO THAT.

Since he has been turned down this first time...why are they having him go now to their doctor? He should have already gone. Makes no sense. Make sure he has signed the paperwork for reconsideration and it may be time to "Just call Joye"...lol.

N

Nomad

I have heard rejection is common.

I have heard repeatedly, that it almost always takes the assistance of an attorney.

In addition, you need to stay on top of the medical paperwork.

If your child has two diagnosis's and you do the top two things...there is a very good chance of an approval.

eekysign

With one friend who used to DO SSI for the gov't, and a friend's mom who advocates for people with disabilities - 1st rejection is totally par for the course.

*mutters to herself* Gotta ask my friend for any tricks to getting SSA people to listen to you......

witzend

The first reaction from SSI is always to deny the claim. He should get a SSI attorney who will take 33% of his first check to settle the claim. The sooner he gets the attorney and gets them to settle it, the less of his check he will give to them. Basically, unless you are blind you can't get it without an attorney.

M

ML

Agreeing with others, first time is a "no" regardless. Tell dude not to get too discouraged and give him a hug for me.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Definately go with Dude. Dan decided to apply for it a few years ago, and was turned down as well. Dan swore he was going in by himself to deal with the disability doctor, but had an anxiety attack and the doctor asked me to come in, not to mention Dan was clueless.

Basically the doctor was a wack job, and spent more time describing in detail about what was going to happen to Dan if he was sent to prison, how since he was small and slender and good looking, he would be a prime target to be raped and had to describe that in detail.

He basically discounted all of the paperwork I had brought from the psychiatric docs, psychiatric hospitals, school records, residential treatment centers, day treatment center and my parent report, the diagnosis of Bi-Polar, severe ADHD, panic and anxiety attacks. And then said he was going to classify Dan with Conduct Disorder, and I told him he was well, basically, full of it if he was going to discount all of these reports. I even started reeling off the criteria of Conduct Disorder and why they didn't fit.

The guy asked me where I got my degree - I told him that I thought where he got HIS degree was MY question and was more of an important question. It was really a waste of my time as it was pretty obvious that this guys job was to make sure people were denied.

Of course he was denied but under a classification of a mood disorder, not otherwise specified, a half arsed concession. He hasent really pushed to get it, which is fine with me - I didn't want him to do it anyway - he is stable when he is on medications and at the time where his head was at, the money would not have been put to good use

Good luck..

Marcie

Lori4ever

You're almost always turned down the first time. But I agree with Witz, get the lawyer. There is no fee, they will fight for him and take from the first check. It's a pain, but stick it out if you can.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The only one I've seen be accepted the first time was an infant with cerebral palsy. Seriously.

When I can finally convince Travis to go.......when I guess there is no other option.......I'm already prepared for the first denial.

I think it's a means to weed out those who are attempting to scam the system. (not that it necessarily works)

Hugs

DDD

Sorry. easy child/difficult child was turned down also. They "know" he has Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) symptoms that include short term memory issues, excessive need to sleep, greatly diminished Executive Funtioning capability etc. etc. They believe that he could hold down a job. There is no compromise. If he can work at all, they do not approve with-o a major fight. It's really sick. You encourage your disabled kid to get a part time job to encourage independence...and that means he can work and doesn't need assistance?? Yikes.

The only first time approval that I know of was a totally disabled applicant with no hope of recovery. Many say three times is the charm. Good luck.
DDD

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
difficult child 1 got turned down two times at least. Even with the assistance of the people from the state doing the paperwork and trying to push it through. Get an attorney that is the only way to do it.

beth

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thank you everyone - the appointment. is NEXT month - so that gives me time to get all this paperwork back from the Public Defenders office - (gosh I want to take an entire day off for a drive to Greenville) ugh.

Witz - I thank you very much because I had NO idea Dude could hire an SSI atty. 33% is a pittance if he can help him. Mucho appreciation.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Thanks Stands -

After what we went through in TR - I do NOT even want to come to Gville to get the box - I'm thinking about sending a courier there. lol And I KNOW you know what I mean. (yells like Barney Fife) CITIZENS ARREST CITIZENS ARREST.

svengandhi

My mother was turned down when she first applied. She was unable to work because of carpal tunnel syndrome and progessive loss of vision - she was a secretary for a government agency! They said she could still do her job.

My late father in law applied based on a heart condition. At the physical, the doctor told him that he was turning him down but that it would be a good idea for him to go straight to the ER and not home after leaving the SS office. father in law was actually having a heart attack during the EKG as he found out when he got to the hospital!

I would apply again. Believe me, they do routinely turn down almost every one.