SSI

comatheart

There was some discussion on SSI or disability in another thread and I didn't want to hijack it. Can those of you who have difficult child's who've applied for it, share your experiences?

I am pretty certain mine would qualify, but we never considered it because I certainly don't want anyone handing him money! In the other thread though, I read he could have a representative payee or something like that?

For now, he's in a Transitional Living program for those with-mental illness and its not recommended he have a job. At least for the first 3 mos anyway.The cost of the program is minimal, so we are just paying it but I sure would like to not have to!!

BusynMember

I am both my autistic son's guardian and payee, with his benevolent permission. It was not hard for him to get Disability because of his Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). He knows that he can't handle money so he actually wants me to hand it to him so the bills get paid and he doesn't have to worry about spending it all when he is feeling impulsive. That was not hard to get either. You can work and earn a certain income level also if you are on social security. My son works five days a week for four hours a day.

The Transitional Living people should be able to point you in the right direction as to who to talk to in order to apply. You can apply online, but I recommend talking directly to somebody in Aging and Disabilities, which is who I spoke with. With the SSI comes Medicare and often also Medicaid. My son has both. He never has to worry that he won't get healthcare or dental care. He earns enough to live in his own apartment and is doing quite well...to the point I do not believe he will need a guardian for life, although the payee...probably!!!!

A bipolar diagnosis is very potent when disability workers are figuring out who qualifies. If your son is adopted, like your younger one, and was exposed to drugs in utero share that too. This is not the time to hold anything back. Your son needs the help and so do you.

Let us know how it turns out! Good luck :)

in a daze

We applied online. They called myself and son in for interview. Benefits started about 3 months later and were retroactive. I am representative payee. He does not see any of the money, goes for rent.

Now a snafu as SS found bonds taken out under son's SS number by elderly grandparents which we had no idea existed, and income needs to be below 2000.00, so we are trying to straighten it out, filed appeal and had interview and now waiting to hear.

Annie2007

My son who is bipolar is on ss disability with Medicaid. My brother is on SSI and food stamps with Medicaid. You should definitely talked to your local ss office. They can help.