Star you would have been proud, others grossed out!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K was screaming at me, from the bathroom. "Mom there is a SPIDER!" So I ran in and yes there was a spider running across the floor.
I am trying to teach her to remain calm in all situations. No panic. So I had to say, "It is OK, remember, spiders are good" "I will let it go outside"
So, ugh, I picked it up with my bare hands to show her how not scared I was. It was not very big. But... I am scared. Very scared of spiders.
When I was younger I used to stay awake at night because I could hear the spiders crawling across the floor... coming through the cracks in the walls. It was pretty bad.
I have slowly psycho-babbled my own through it.

So I had her hold it, on the potty, and then took him out side and let him go!!!
I am pretty proud of myself!!!:happyguy:

trinityroyal

Toto, I am IMPRESSED.

The fact that you remained calm. The fact that you Picked The Spider UP and held it in your hand as you walked outside.

(I am squirming and tap dancing around on the seat of my chair just thinking about it.)

You Rock!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've got the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!

I found a LARGE black widow last weekend and used a ping-pong paddle to bring it in the house to give to difficult child 1's alligator lizard (they eat them). It was all I could do to keep from freaking out while trying to keep it as far from me on the paddle as possible while trying to get the lid off the cage and shake it off. easy child thought it was pretty funny!

F

flutterbee

Amen!

I am so proud of you, T!!!! I could not have done that. I feel like I have things crawling on me just reading the post.

Steely

OH my gosh! YOU are an amazing parent! K is so lucky to have you! Teaching her how to remain calm, even when you are not? Boy, that is evolved!

susiestar

Roll With It
Totoro,

What an amazingly loving thing to do for your daughter. You are a wonderful mom.

I am totally scared of spiders and bugs. I can handle them outside, but NOT inside. I really don't think I could have picked up the spider.

In our house, we know that any bug that comes in is suicidal. They must be, or they wouldn't come in MY house! (LOL!!!)

Again, a very loving thing, putting your fears aside to hold the spider and show your daughter that she didn't have to react with terror.

Hugs,

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
That was amazing!! I know I wouldn't do it.

Next time though, might not want to pick a big spider up with your bare hands. It could, and probably is, poisonous. If you got bit it would undo all the hard work you've done so far. I always used a sheet of paper or something.

Great job holding it together.
Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Toto -

I AM SO TOTALLY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHH YOU are NOW ZEN with ARACHNIDS (hands Ragu jar) - for next time in case you don't know what kind it is.

I think you are on your way to becoming a first rate entomologist! (tears up)

OH and I almost forgot - Since you did catch and release you should always say to the bug - "Okay I let you go. Now you go tell ALL your friends to stay out of the house." and usually they will - and you have less bugs.

I am just so proud!

VERY VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! AND N. :wow:

Marguerite

Lisa, I'm with you on needing to be cautious about bare handed handling of spiders. But well done, totoro, for putting your fear aside for the sake of a lesson.

We try to not use our bare hands with spiders in Australia. Too much chance of a bite, and although we only have about four or five really nasty spiders that bite, many of the others an still cause tissue necrosis.

The best method, for future reference, is to get a large clean glass jar with lid and a sheet of paper. You take the lid off the jar and put the jar over the spider, trapping it. You use glass so you can always see where the spider is. You then slide the piece of paper under the jar, so there is no way the spider can escape but so the sheet of paper acts like a lid. Holding the paper carefully flat to the top of the jar, turn the jar over with the paper still held firmly in place. Then sit the lid on the jar (paper in between) and carefully slide the paper out, keeping the lid in position. As soon as the paper is out the lid should snugly fit the jar and be screwed on. At no time should there be any danger of the spider getting out.

This method is safe enough to use with Sydney Funnelweb Spiders. We used to catch ones we found and send them to Commonwealth Serum Laboratories for milking the venom to make antivenin.

The other method is to use a thong. The footwear kind. WHACK!

Marg

totoro

I know!!! It was not one of the poisonous kind... I have a little chart, due to my, ummm being so scared of them. And a couple of summers ago we had them pretty bad in the house... and N got bit a couple of times.
It was a jumpy little spotty one... I don't know the name.
We do have the brown recluse and the aggressive house spiders!!! as well as another with similar type looks. I will not be picking them up bare handed. But maybe with a jar like you guys said.
I have told K and N to call me or husband and we will look and see what kind they are...
I have been trying to be a big girl about the spiders. Mostly because most other things do not "bug" me. I have caught lizards, snakes and even scorpions for them to look at.
This time at Tucson I pulled out a huge 3 inch millipede out of the pool!!! Interesting... and caught a little lizard in one of the houses we were looking at, it was in the shower!!! We took it outside.

The SPIDERS are a big deal... I don't love them but I am trying...

Star*

call 911........call 911
blink......blink, blink. Um Marg -

I've been catching bugs for 35 years and I NEVER.........EVER thought to stand in the middle of the woods and take off my underpants to corral spiders. WHODA thunk you could get a spider with your thongs. Does it work with butterflies?

I guess you shoot the thong higher in the air - like a sling shot? And it covers them? Like a pantie-parachute?????? Neato.

I bet Abbey's grannie panties would cover a couple. (pft) I am putting MYSELF in time out.

OH - a SHOE........flip flop. Wow the things you learn on this board.

Off to catch spiders with my underpants and shoes.

la la lahhhhhhhh. :crazy1:

totoro

Me and the girls caught a couple of hummingbirds today with our thongs and grannies... oh and a squirrel... it got away though.

4sumrzn

Oh Star.....I know I can come here any time if I'm in need of a good laugh! The thong/grannie panties made me spit out my coffee! Thanks for the laugh!

Abbey

Spork Queen
I've got the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!

I found a LARGE black widow last weekend and used a ping-pong paddle to bring it in the house to give to difficult child 1's alligator lizard (they eat them). It was all I could do to keep from freaking out while trying to keep it as far from me on the paddle as possible while trying to get the lid off the cage and shake it off. easy child thought it was pretty funny!

OMG!! We have lots of black widows here. I'm sorry...but they get heavily sprayed with whatever I can quickly grab. I'm surprised they can eat them.

Funny story about scorpions. When I lived in FL, they were quite prevelant. I remember seeing one cross my stove. I lit that thing up and burned him right on the grill.

But, the kicker was my ex. He bolted out of bed one night, threw off all the covers and said something stung him. I'm thinking he just had a bad nightmare. Nope...there was a little scorpion crawling in the middle of the bed.

Now, I don't know anything about them. So, I call poison control. They had me describe it, and basically it was a type that is not particularly harmful, just more like a powerful bee sting.

Called our pest guy. How can we have these things in our house? He came out sprayed again...next night, it happens AGAIN to ex.

Pest guy comes out again and finally figures it out. They had a 'nest' (don't know what you call a scorpion colony) in our attic and were dropping down through our ventilation system, which was right above where ex slept. So, they nuked our attic.

Ex, to this day thinks I was trying to kill him. ;) (Yeah...like I'd put one of those things in the same bed I was sharing.) What does he think? I'm keeping them in a jar next to the bed just waiting for the right moment?

Abbey

Steely

Star, once again, thanks for the laugh!!!!
OMG...........I have this total vision of a thong flying high above the forest of trees, and landing squarely on the viscous spider, entrapping him and suffocating him of air.
I may never think of bugs the same - or for that matter - underwear.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I bet Abbey's grannie panties would cover a couple. (pft) I am putting MYSELF in time out.

With those grannie things, I could catch a continent of critters.

Now, Star...go to your corner.

Abbey