Star...

DammitJanet

You want me to save you some frozen deer bones? Tony killed a 5 point last week and is butchering him now. I can freeze the big joints and mail them. Be good toys for Pootie and friends!

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG I think everyone here would be in heaven, BUT ....I know times are tough for everyone so don't spend the money on the postage. I'm "almost" afraid to think what kind of difficult child's my kids would become if there were fights over deer bones.

Congrats on his 5 pt. The boss actually bought some land and lets the MEN at the office hunt it. Not me nor DF has EVER been invited to come & hunt - however I usually pay one of the guys $30 a year and he had some meat processed for us and I've been asked if the dogs want the bones. We usually say no because of the above reason - but I can't get anyone of them to give us the antlers for DF to make knives from. He really makes some pretty ones. I used to carry one with me all the time until I forgot it was in my purse and almost had it taken from me at the courthouse. (duh) The only reason I had it IN my purse (not because I'm a knife carrying type of woman) was because I had put it in there to take orders and show people...and just forgot about it. lol. For once I was glad the guard at the bleeping station was a hunter/redneck/good-old-boy and I had a price list in the purse - So he let me take it back out to the car. (phew/whew)

Thanks Janet so much for thinking of me and the pooches. (getting REALLY nasty looks from Casper - he can read) lol

DammitJanet

Ohhh...didnt think about the fighting over the bones. I have plenty to go around...lol. He just killed another one...lmao. Knives out of the horns huh? Maybe I can get him to send you the antlers from these smaller racks. He is gonna fill up our freezer, then let Cory fill up his, then he is just gonna go hunt for the big boy. Not shoot anything else unless it is huge.

Are you sure about the bones? I have them frozen solid. Postage isnt a problem.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We really need to live closer.......lol

DF has no one to hunt with....having the guns and no one to hunt with that has a brain is killing him. He misses it very much. I'm sorry for him but I'm not sure how you would walk in the woods after something you killed with a cane, yelling "Ohhh owwww, eeeeh....uuhhhh." :confused:

DammitJanet

I wish we lived closer too. If DF killed something Tony could go retrieve it for him...lol.

We really rely on this fall hunting to fill the old freezer up. Last night I had a delicious venison stew. Gosh it was good! I have about 10 more packages of stew in the freezer right now along with steaks for cubing, filets, ribs, and roasts. The only thing we cant do is hamburger. No grinder. Tony cuts every thing else himself with a knife.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Janet...I don't know how feasible it would be but could you find a crank grinder at a flea market somewhere? I've seen some that clamp on a table and while it may take awhile, would that work?

I honestly have no idea....I've never done it myself. I'm just thinking that flea markets or even antique stores should have SOMETHING you could use.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm trying to cover my eyes as I read this. I AM NOT A HUNTER. That being said, oddly enough my birds and adopted dogs would love the bones. PM me or call me (I think you have my number).

Abbey

Star*

call 911........call 911
Janet -

Are you talking about the grinder like Mstang is talking about? Clamps to the table and cranks? We probably have one here (somewhere) - OMG to send DF out to hunt - and me visit....and ....OH....get out of this house...hahahahah....ahhhhhhhahahhahah.....aha...ahahahah...NOW if I can get a car to run.....farther than Florence.....hahahahah.....ahahahhah...ahhhhh.a.hahahahaha.....ahahhaaha...hahahah.

ahahahah.....hahaha....ahahah...ah....ha.....ahem.

Maybe you should send ME a bone. NO----wait.....ROFL...
THROW ME A FRICKin BONE.....

OMG (snort) I KILL ME.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
One thing I learned during our hunting years is that spikes, forkhorns, and nice, fat dry does actually taste a lot better than those trophy bucks. The meat keeps better as well.

I can't handle a rifle and my days of being able to go bowhunting are so over it is pathetic.

Pity as I LOVE venison of all types, including moose and elk.

DammitJanet

We need any kind of grinder. Hand cranked or electric. We just want to make hamburger...lol.

GN...after eating venison for so long, I have become so used to it that beef doesnt taste as good unless it is a nice ribeye grilled to perfection...lol.

Star*

call 911........call 911
So I need to know 2 things -

1.) HOW does one get a NC hunting license if they are from SC and disabled if they could get there for a day...????

2.) How far is it from here to...OH never mind I already figured THAT out....lol 1 hour 45 minutes unless you let ME drive and I'm excited about finally getting to meet you and then I bet I could do it in 1:15 flat. ;)

And he says........So there was an invite? And deer?......really? :surprise:

Just pretend there is a non-typical roaming around....over 200 lbs.....hahah.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Yes......actually I'm out of horns. :devil:

Would love to have a few.....thanks! Would you like a 19 year old in exchange? I love to barter!:tongue:

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The day you run out of horns, Star, will be the day that....oh, never mind.

Any ideas the legalities of shipping horns? I'll get some rounded up and in the mail! Woohoo!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's interesting: husband used to make knife hilts/guards, buttons, and carvings out of deer antler as well.

When we lived down south they used to do a yearly deer cull to keep populations down on the base.

Each shooter got to keep a number of deer based on family size. We only got one, but Southern Whitetail Deer get considerably bigger than the ones up North.

The leftover meat went to the messhalls in some cases, but often went to local charities.

They had a processing plant on base that would cut and wrap your meat for free, and store it on a first come/first served basis.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we ate beef, and like you, Janet, it was when we just craved a good, grilled beef steak.

I can occasionally get venison up here in the grocery store, but it is from farmed red deer (European sub-species of our elk) that have been feedlotted. I love elk, but I am not all that fond of the farm raised deer.

A bit of fat in beef adds to the taste, but deer tallow is best left aside.