Stardude in wreck

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hi family,

Sometimes my blessings are so taken for granted and then something like this happens to remind me to be diligent in thanks over any blessing I get because it's a gift from God.

Two days ago difficult child was walking back to his group home. A man who lives down the road offered him a ride. This town is so tiny everyone knows everyone and difficult child was worn out after working all day. He knew the man and accepted the ride. He had a little puppy tucked in his shirt.

difficult child did have his seatbelt on (a promise he said he'd keep for me) and when the truck hit the tree it flipped 3 times and slid down the mountain rolled 3 times; landed on the passenger side. The side difficult child was on.

The driver came to and managed to get difficult child out of his seat belt. difficult child was curled in a fetal position, no sign of the puppy. The man got difficult child out of the truck and laid him in the kudzu. Two hours later difficult child came to. I didn't get a call from ANYONE.

You could see the smoke from Columbia to NC coming off my head. difficult child finally called me to tell me the whole sordid tale and that "Don't worry mom I'm okay" loosely translated "I'm a teenager and indestructible." Why is it that OUR KIDS seem to think they are more bullet proof? Because they've been through so much??

It has taken me 2 days to post about this and I've been in the most foul mood. I have been trying to figure that out, and can only surmise it's because I have been through so much, now have peace and just wasn't prepared and never will be for that matter for a call from someone telling me he's gone. OH I get so angry thinking about it. I will discuss this in therapy tomorrow night. I need to get a grip on why so this doesn't happen again.

I am ready to go to the house of the man who I am sure was drinking and jerk a knot in his you know what. And I'm just the girl who could do it too. Dude kept asking...."So you aren't going to come up here and talk to that man are you?" (Laughing to myself I guess our kids DO know us) And no I'm not going near him because if he got a whiff of this mood just the smell of it would knock him out.

He refused to go to the hospital, and you got to let them do their own thing I know, but this was serious. Someone help me thank the angels that surround this child. I sent mine to surround him the day he left. Apparently they are tops.

Breathe star.....breath. :faint: Oh and about the puppy? She crawled out from under the truck unscathed and went to live with her new parents.

The boy is lucky that he is OK.

You know, all teens think that they are invincible. It does not matter what happens to them, only time and experience makes them see that they are mortal.

As for old man Jenkins giving Dude a ride, he's a moron (if he was drinking) but Dude is just as big a dodo head if he got in the car with him and he was drunk...

I half expected you to say that he got a ride on a donkey.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Odd you should mention the donkey.....he said he's not going to get his permit now. He's just going to ride the donkey where he needs to go or take his bike. I'm taking it to him Thursday.

Yes I'm glad he was okay...and not a mere mortal.

TerryJ2

Oh, dear, I am so sorry.
Yes, you should talk to the man. He should have called you immediately. No excuses.

Jen

That is good that he is ok. Didnt we all back then thought we were indestructable? That we would live forever! No harm will ever come to us.

Jen

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star

Even with practicing detachment..... I'd be awfully hard pressed not to go into a royal snit about this. In an accident like this certainly the cops were called??? Did they just walk away and leave the damaged vehicle or what?

Nichole and b/f did the same stupid thing about not being checked out in the ER after their accident a couple of weeks ago. Makes ya wanna pound them. But the thought never occured to them. And when I brought it up they were too hyped up with adreneline to actually get what I was telling them. :hammer:

I'm wondering if this is one of those parental moments when they scare you so bad you want to just throttle the daylights outta them, then hug em til they can't breathe?

difficult child truely has angels hanging over his shoulders. Lucky lucky boy.

I'm glad he and the pup are okay.

Hugs

F

flutterbee

Thank God he was wearing his seatbelt. Proof he's listened to you at least once. Is it possible that not all of our words fall on deaf ears?!

I'm really glad he's ok.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
So glad he is ok. The angels have been surrounding so many of our difficult child's lately. Must be he power of strength we give out from this board.

Beth

SunnyFlorida

Probably a good thing you didn't "rush" over to this bozo's house right away.

He problem'ly hid, let the alcohol wear off, has no ins. on the car and doesn't plan on fixin' it anyways.

After your counseling session though, I think, if it were me, I'd be standing on his doorstep with my maddest and baddest look and askin' him "do you know who I am"? I might even ask him what his intentions are as well. :nonono:

Marguerite

I'm glad Dude is OK. I didn't quite understand - did the bozo pull difficult child out from the wreck and then leave him there? I hope not, that would be very naughty.

And your point about wearing seat belts seems to have been very well made.

Bozo could have been drinking, and Dude not known - a regular drinker can be good at hiding any impairment.

Just goes to show you - it's not only strangers you have to be wary of.

Glad they're alright, although I would have insisted Dude got checked out at the hospital - and sent bozo the bill. If something later on turns out to be not right...

husband was in a truck accident back in his army days, he and some army buddies were in the back of a truck which was turned onto its side. husband climbed out and set up the radio to call for help, he was busy pottering around doing this and that - the hospital X-rayed him but nothing more. And he had no problems for about five years, and ever since he has had problems with his back, in the area where he was injured. But it was soft tissue injury, there's not much he can do about it. He COULD pursue it with the army but I don't think he wants to. But the option is there, because the accident and the injury were officially recorded. You never know whether, years later, a record of some sort would have helped in some way, even if it's just with more information to shed light on a subsequent health problem. Or head one off.

Give him a hug and be grateful his lesson wasn't more painful.

Marg

tinamarie1

Wow..I can't believe he didn't go to the hospital. I bet it scared the bejesus out of him though. husband and I were in an accident over the summer (not nearly as bad as your difficult child's tho) and I said I was fine, went home and the next week I was in the ER with horrible pain in my upper left side. I had extensive bruising and trauma to my spleen. Which is the #1 injured organ in car accidents (per my doctor). Vicatin City baybeee after that...knocks me right out but that was the only way I could deal with the pain.
Im so glad he is ok tho.
Tina

lovemysons

So glad your difficult child is okay Star.

I hear ya on the "call" I don't think I'll ever stop with that nagging feeling that I'm going to get that "call" or someones going to pull up in front of our house and tell me the bad news.

Our difficult child's Do think they are indestructible and I think you're right it's cause they've already survived so much crap and are still in one piece.

Yep the Angels are amongst us and have kept them reasonably safe from themselves for years! That's how I see it.

Hang in there mom!
hugs and care,
Tammy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I think all teens think they are indestructible---sure glad it proved right for Stardude this time! :whew:

Suz

Steely

:angel:
So glad that your son is alright. You know I had that dream about mine the other night in a motorcycle wreck, and I can so see him doing what your son did. Wearing his seatbelt, but making a poor choice before and after. These kid's!!!!! Yet, I can't imagine losing them - it haunts me daily. My prayers and thoughts are being sent your way.