Starting a new treatment with ....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
wm this week.

http://www.interactivemetronome.com/

wm will have 16, most likely more of the interactive metronome treatments. He was recently re-evaluated by a qualified Occupational Therapist (OT) for sensory integration & other issues. Let's just say wm is very "high" on the scale for therapy in these areas.

There will be other therapies along with the metronome therapy.

I'm not sure if any of you have used this therapy .... would love to hear valid input.

Thanks.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
I've never heard of this but it was interesting to skim the info. I'll be very interested in hearing how wm does with this.

Bugsy

My son's Occupational Therapist (OT) uses the metronome with my son for exactly what your link states. I sometimes go in with him and we do exercises together to help motivate him. It was hard for him when he first started it. The simple keeping up with the beat at the right speed and so on was hard. It does it better now but I do not know if it is transferring to general balance, motor planning and so on. I would imagine it would take more time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Heard of it. Don't know anyone who's used it. I wonder if music lessons would afford the same benefits but at a lower cost??? Learning an instrument involves some of the same skills, especially as you begin to play with others and must coordinate your efforts to match or blend with others. Just a totally uneducated thought...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Thanks, ladies.....this will be interesting to watch. We're kind of at the end of ideas for wm. Too many of us (me especially) are putting high hopes in this therapy.

gcvmom, wouldn't that be fun? Music therapy instead of Occupational Therapist (OT)? I'd love if wm could attend that long, sit still that long or even not argue with an adult every 5 minutes. That's why we never finished swim lessons ~ wm was asked to leave because he argued constantly with the intructor.

It took a meeting of 12 people to get this therapy going, along with transportation & other issues of point. I'm not transporting wm ~ he just refuses to be safe with me.

Andy

How exciting to find another tool. I also have not heard of this - it really is amazing what there is out there - too bad it is such a battle at times for many people to tap into.

Good luck to Wm and let us know how it goes.

slsh

member since 1999
At first, I thought you were saying he was going to have 16 metronomes going at the same time and I thought the team had completely lost their mind!!! :rofl: Yes, let's send the boy into sensory overload.

It sounds fascinating, Linda. Video game-like enough to keep him engaged, don't you think? Keep us updated on how it goes!

TerryJ2

Very interesting, Linda.
I, too, was wondering if regular music lessons would serve the purpose. We are about to find out; difficult child is taking guitar at school.
I bookmarked the web page and will show it to the dr who will do Asperger's testing on difficult child in a few wks.