STAT meeting? request psy evaluation?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by kcford, Feb 16, 2008.

  1. kcford

    kcford New Member


    I am a relatively new official member, but have lurked here for a while. I've learned a lot from you. Thanks.

    I recently posted about my 5 year old son, whose behavior and academic perofrmance in K were slipping. I had provided his teachers with some suggestions for handling a child with attachment issues. I also let her know he was being evalutated for attention disorders. Messages left for the Special Education team lead went unanswered.

    Things went better for about a week. Then I get a call from the principal. My son had kicked another child in the head during recess. By his own admission it was "on purpose", because he "wanted to." He got a referral, and I was told he'd be suspended if something like this happens again.

    I tried contacting the team lead again to request a meeting and found out she is no longer at the school, and there is no replacement yet. INstead I spoke with my son's speech therapist and she suggested we set up a STAT procedure - teachers, guidance counselor, school psychologist get together, discuss, make and then implement behavioral interventions. The therapist said during this process they would decide if a full psychiatric evaluation should be done on my son.

    Does this sound on track? Should I have my son evaluated regardless? Should I do it privately, or have the school's psychologist do it? My husband and I know our son has emotional problems - he received 2 years of psychotherapy for ambivalent attachment. While he's attached to us now, he still has low self esteem, is insecure, and in general has a pessimistic outlook on life. With nothing in the IEP, I feel he is unprotected. On the other hand, his situation is not as severe as the ones some of your little ones are dealing with.

    Any comments would be appreciated.
  2. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    If it were me, I'd have him evaluation's privately (full neuropsychologist testing) and ask for a behavioral specialist at school to do a FBA. Then, sit as a team with the specialist included to write the IEP and BIP.
  3. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Any requests of this type should be put in writing and sent via Certified Mail to the Special Education Director.

    If your son needs to be reevaluated by the sd, you need to put the request in writing and also send it Certified Mail. As indicated above, I'd include a request for the FBA.