Stay Close: A Mother's Story of Her Son's Addiction

A

AmericanGirl

Anyone ever read "Stay Close: A Mother's Story of Her Son's Addiction"? I finished it today. Brutally honest story. The mom used her journals to write it but the son (and his brother) added their versions. You get to see what she thought was happening and then what really was happening.

Thankfully, it has a happy ending.

Nancy

No but I will add it to my list of books to read. Currently finishing "Everything Changes" and it is excellent also.

Thanks for the recommendation. I belong to a parents support group and we have a list of recommended reading and are always looking for new books to add.

Nancy

P

PatriotsGirl

I read Beautiful Boy and then Tweaked. Beautiful boy was written by a father of a son with a meth addiction. Tweaked was the version his son wrote. Powerful, moving and I couldn't believe someone else lived my nightmare. I will add that one to my list!

T

toughlovin

I also read Beautiful Boy and Tweaked....Good books and I couldn't believe how much the fathers feelings matched my own. I will look for this one too.

TL

AG: I read the book Stay Close also, and I agree that it was a powerful story. I was glad to read that the ending of this story was hopeful, but it was also difficult for me to read about another boy with an addiction that lasts for years and years. I admired the mother is this story, because she never gave up on her son, even when she was sick of his behavior and really didn't like him anymore.

A

AmericanGirl

PV...no criticism of the mom because I think she did everything she could but, maybe since we have better tools, we may have better outcomes?

At least that's what I am hoping for.

I just read Beautiful Boy a few weeks ago. Broke my heart, and scared me a little, since I have one going off to college in the fall.
My kids don't have drug problems, but, hey, they could as well as anyone else. I keep the subject close to me, and do a lot of reading.
I will pick up Stay Close.