Steamer Clams? How do you grill them?

nvts

Anybody done grilled steamers? I'm new to this clam thing (AH usually cooked them) and I very successfully made them for Memorial Day, however someone asked me to grill them for my Dad's 80th birthday Party - anyone ever done this?

Thanks for any help!

Beth

Lothlorien

Cherrystone clams or the bigger ones are better for grilling. Steamers are for steaming.
Grilled glams are done when they open up. They are really simple to make.

Lothlorien

Oh, best way to get the sand out is to soak them in cold water and vinegar or baking soda. It makes them spit.

NJ people are clam people! I LOVE them.

nvts

Thanks Loth! I'm definately going to try the baking soda or vinegar - how much do I put in? Say it's about 3 doz clams (they're selling the for 3 doz. for $10.00 right now).

I used to LOVE steamers - got a HUGE mouthful of sand as a kid, and haven't gotten the taste for them since. Now I'm trying to be a grown up and give it a shot again lol! My kids absolutely love them (except difficult child 2 - he's a landlubber - doesn't like shellfish of any kind!).

Beth

nvts

Do you know that's how I got my tub to drain faster? 1/2 box baking soda, followed by a bottle of vinegar!

I told everyone I didn't need AH! :D

Beth

Lothlorien

Funny! I lived in this very nice apartment many year ago. I tried very hard to get these gray stains out of my tub, but to no avail. One day, when I was going through the trouble with my legs (that turned out to be a magnesium deficiency) this woman told me to soak in a tub with a cup of vinegar. Well, while I was in the tub, all the gray yuck on the bottom of the tub loosened up (it was icky) and I was able to scrub it clean. It's amazing what vinegar does. I realized the cleaning power of vinegar!