Stop It! Did you hear me, I said STOP IT!!!

JJJ

That is all I have been saying all day. So far

*Tigger has jumped on me at Home Depot, giving the man helping us a nice view of my bra as my shirt got pulled down to my waist.

*Had everyone is the same Home Depot stare at us as Tigger sang on the top of his lungs all the way thru the store.

*Watched Tigger fall out of the van for no apparent reason.

*Piglet jumped up and down chattering at me the entire time I was on the phone with her doctor no matter how many times I signaled her to be quiet or how many times I walked away.

*Eeyore won't stop interrupting everyone with his view of every single situation -- including whether or not Piglet needed to go to the bathroom!

I think between the three of them there is not one item untouched at Home Depot.

Just typing this e-mail (they were suppose to be picking up their toys in the yard so Eeyore could mow) both Piglet and Tigger have interrupted my please-give-mommy-five-minutes-of-peace moment.

And, of course, husband is working late tonight!

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like you ran out of duct tape. I don't suppose you plan to go back to Home Depot for a roll, hmmm?

I am sorry. Days like that always make my head spin. I hope after husband gets home you can have a relaxing bubble bath or somesuch.

Marguerite

I AM sympathetic, but to me that sojnds like business as usual.

I gave up worrying about my bra being seen in public way back when the kids were little. Like my sisters and mother before me (and probably grandmothers too) we kept the dummy (aka pacifier) tucked into our ample bras. And of course a kid who wants the dummy will go get it ANYWHERE, including in public. Just dive in after it. And my bust is so big that to a kid it would be like exploring the Grand Canyon; they half-stripped me each time.

One time I went into a shop and decided NOT to take the kids in with me, they were a tad hyperactive. We were at the mall, so I made them wait in the corridor outside. difficult child 3 was on a leash which I'd tied to easy child 2/difficult child 2. difficult child 1 was sitting quietly (for once). Not sure where easy child was...
I came out to find that easy child 2/difficult child 2 was swinging difficult child 3 (who was about 2 at the time) around on the leash, "polishing the floor" with him in ever increasing circles as the stretchy cord on the leash got stretched more and more - the circles were about four metres across by the time I got to her. There was a crowd of horrified onlookers, appalled at what the girl was doing to her baby brother.

Moral: if you have the toddler on a leash, don't dress him in corduroy!

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Triple J I'd say an early bedtime is in order if you can swing it. Then you can have some well deserved down time.

I could care less who sees my bra. (think bikini top here) But Travis at age 2 gave the lifeguard at the local pool a wonderful view of my entire chest. Last time I wore that suit. Went right out and got one with 2 sturdy straps. LOL

Marg having used harness and leashes with my own kids.......OMG :rofl: That story bout killed me. :D

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
JJJ--

I think that you are incredibly brave for even attempting a shopping trip with your children in tow....

I am glad to hear that you survived.

((((hugs))))

--DaisyF

everywoman

In my house this is when we would play the quiet game. Whoever could be quiet the longest got a special treat. Yes, I bribed my kids for quiet time!

mamabear01

Ahhhh to be around people who live like me. Wonderful!

And as for the quiet game, the kids are so used to playing it in the car for long road trips they will start the game themselves lol.

You know I just have to say, I cannot take both my kids in a store together, without husband ever! Well sometimes I do but I know the sensory overload would send my youngest into a tizzy like your tigger, and then the energy would get my other one going and it would be one big huge disaster.

I can take one of them, and he's okay in crowds, but the other one I have to be real careful, and make sure it is a very quick trip. Otherwise I call my errands "Mommy time" and try my best to wait till husband is home and just go by myself so I can just walk around and "VEG" all by myself. It's wonderful therapy lol.

JJJ

Well, Kanga's first home visit with the kids is over, hopefully everyone is back to normal. (Dummy me, why did I forget that they'd be out of sorts with her coming home for a day pass?????????)

Wiped Out

Staff member
That definitely could have an effect. I'm taking it today was much better. Sounds like you deserve some well earned "me" time. Hugs.

Marguerite

Talking of keeping the kids under control in the car, we have a number of car games we invented (or modified). It was all thanks to the frequent long car trips to get the kids to and from school, or to choir practice or performances. Or dance classes & performances. Or anything else.

1) Marg Spotto - we had to modify what to look for andalso had to have a mental list, not one on paper. So OUR list (feel free to modify your own) is:
big dog
small dog (must be half the size of the big dog chosen by the same person)
tall tree
short tree (rules as above)
emergency vehicle (lights must be flashing for more advanced players)
car licence plate ending in player's age
(for advanced players, the licence plate must also include player's initial)

Add in whatever else you need.
The original Spotto game (as distributed by BiPolar (BP) petrol stations in the 60s) had a printed list which included level crossings. Trouble is, too often the railway line didn't extend farenough. And these days we don't have level crossings except in more remote areas in the country, mostly out west. None south or on the coastal strip, until you go farenough north for the cane trains to be crossing the road (north Queensland) and that's a bit off our beaten track.

2) For high school students - find elements of the Periodic Table as well as any compounds, in the licence plates. More junior players can use them as acrostics.

3) The alphabet game. Warning - this can get noisy.
The aim of the game is to find consecutive letters of the alphabet in shop signs. No two players can use signs from the same business, even if there are multiple signs. No two players can use the same sign. You can't advance until you have found the previous letter. As with all other games, the driver is the adjudicator, no arguments.
Junior players are permitted to use signs on moving vehicles (such as advertising on buses). REALLY junior players may use street signs. Older players are forbidden to use street signs unless they are advertising. So a sign saying, "Powerhouse Museum this way" is not permitted for older players. But the "Powerhouse Museum" sign IS permitted.

Once the player gets all the way through to "Z" (pizza parlours are much sought after) they begin again, IN REVERSE. And yes, that means finding yet another pizza parlour, gozleme or similar.
This game is best reserved for driving in the city, it's good even when in gridlock.

4) Sherlock Holmes.
The aim of this game is to try to identify the personality and interests (and anything else) of the owner/driver/occupant of an adjacent car. It's a team sport, everyone in the car works together. This is a good game when everything else is getting dangerously competitive.
Example - thee car next to us in the gridlock is covered in wet leaves. Conclusion - the car is parked outside and the driver has left from nearby, spent the night nearby.
Or - the car is covered in brown mud in multiple layers.
Conclusion (current one only) - the driver lives in our village and works outside "on te mainland". Currently all our locals' cars (the commuters) are covered in mud in layers. We can't wash cars too often with the strict rules we have; besides, why bother when you're only going to get the car muddy again on the drive home?

You can determine a great deal about the driver of a car, from what you see inside and out. A neat suit coat on a hanger - appearance is VERY important in his job, he could be an airline steward or a hotel concierge.
His coat is neatly worn on the back of the driver's seat - he could be a doctor, a policeman (look for insignia) or a salesman.
His coat is lying on the back seat - he's got the morning off work, or maybe the day off; he only needs the coat occasionally and he's alfready senior enough in the company to not need to worry too much about the occasional crease. Or he's a back room manager, the sort who gets the job done quietly and efficiently without a lot of public appearance.
There's a crochet rug spread neatly on the back seat - he's driving his mother's car, he probably lives at home.
There's a vinyl sheet spread neatly across the back seat of the car - he owns a large dog.

And so on.

Some fantasy is permitted - again, the driver is the adjudicator.

These are good games for kids in so many ways, especially the last one.
Warning - if you have a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) kid, they could find this last one a big struggle. Don't let them flounder, but also explain the reasoning where you can. Help them think in these very unusual (for them) directions and it WILL benefit their social skills.

One final warning about this last game - keep the volume down. The last thing you need is for the driver of an adjacent car to hear what you and your kids could be saying about him. You mightn't have time to utter the word "conjecture".

Marg

Last edited:

TerryJ2

Boy, do you need a break!

been there done that. Especially the hanging on your clothing part. Ugh.

My kids used to love going to Home Depot, only because easy child would take difficult child to the home interior design section, pick out a kitchen and bath section, and pretend they had an invisible dog that was lost. It was a riot! They could spend hrs there--opening cupboard doors, kneeling over the tub, pretending to give the dog a bath, hiding behind the walls. I'm sure some clerk there wants to kill me. ;)

The first time they did it, we got back in the car, I sat down, and easy child screamed at me, "NO!!!! Don't sit there!" I jumped a mile.
"Why not?"
"Because Bootsy is there. You just sat on him!"
"Bootsy?"
"Yes," they both reply, "The invisible dog."

Oooh. Right.

But I finished my shopping in peace and quiet. And in one piece. ;)

Sorry it was so stressful for you. Get some sleep.

Last edited:

lizanne2

OK, read this post yestarday and thought......do I know those days.

And then I took my kids to the store. Mind you, they are 15 and 16. We had a meltdown from them on choosing ice cream. My 15 yr old was inside the ice cream case writing a message to me on the steamed up door. What? The other patrons were not amused.

And i was just done!

I felt like I had preschoolers in tow. And the CONSTANT talking from both of them......

Summer vacation is great!