Storm of the Season

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It started with the 7-8 inches of snow. Then we got I can't tell you how many inches of ice.....sleet for hours upon hours. But looking out at the street this morning.....maybe 2 inches or more of ice.

And now.....more snow. Last night they said about 5 more inches. I'd say we're already there. And it's still snowing heavily with big fat heavy flakes. I'm both shocked (and thankful) we have power this morning. All the heavy snow we're getting now.........is weighing everything down, horribly.

We have a huge old dead tree across the alley. It should've been cut down after the last ice storm 5 yrs ago. It's lost huge branches onto the road and is now leaning into the power lines. Worse yet.....I've got an enormouse old pine right off the family room. It may not survive either....leaning terribly over the family room roof. :ashamed:

It is horrid out there. Snow plow is out there now attempting to move those huge branches out of the way. It's having trouble. It just plowed the street....and you can almost tell.:faint:

And my brilliant 19 yr old difficult child Nichole.........drove Aubrey in her little geo metro over to boyfriend's house. If I'd have been awake, I'd have stopped her. Evidently husband either wasn't successful at it or didn't try. I'd have made him drive her instead.

Sounds weird, but I'm glad she's over there. They have a fireplace, so if we lose power the baby will be warm. I just wish she hadn't tried to drive herself.

It is nasty out there. I'd take pics but my camera is acting up.

So how are others doing with this storm? I hope no one has lost power. C'mon everyone, time to check in and let us know you're ok.

Hugs

Wiped Out

Staff member
Lisa,
Hope you all stay safe. It sounds wicked! For once we are not involved in the storm at all!

4sumrzn

Still snowing on top of all the ice we got last night.....just NASTY out there. husband didn't attemp to go in to work & I will probably call in myself again for this evening. It's "suppose" to stop in the next couple of hours. I hope so.

donna723

We got just enough here that I could call in to work and not feel guilty!

We were supposed to get sleet, freezing rain and snow. It started early this morning when the rain changed to sleet. It started freezing and getting crunchy on the street - no way will I drive in that and it was sleeting just as I should have been leaving for work. The lucky part was that it changed over to snow so quickly that ice didn't have time to build up in the trees and power lines. It looks like it's pretty well past us now. All we ended up with was a light dusting of snow and it should be gone by tomorrow. UNLESS it gets colder again tonight and refreezes all that mess, and then the roads will be slick as glass tomorrow!

I honestly don't see how some of you can stand to live where it stays so cold and snowy for so long! It gets bad here too once in a while, but in a day or so it's gone again. I can live with that, and an unexpected day off in the middle of the week is always welcome!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We are just still getting the snow portion right now. We have several inches. I am leaving work around 1PM and heading into a neighboring town to meet up with easy child to follow her home. Her car is not so good in the snow. I at least have snow tires. And then I guess we will hunker down and see what gives. Everything is supposed to turn to icy rain after 1-ish and then snow again, just like you. I am hoping the southern end of our state gets the brunt of it for a change. Up here in the northwestern hills, we're always getting slammed!

Anyway, we ran out of wood, so if we lose power, we are basically screwed for heat. I'm so excited - NOT. H was supposed to get all the fallen trees in our woods last fall, cut them and stack them behind the shed. He didn't and now they're all covered in snow and ice - useless. I think I'm going to hire a neighborhood boy to do it in the spring for next winter. What the heck?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sharon, you lucked out. My Mom asked Storm? What storm? lol Missed her completely too for a change. 4sumrzn, Donna I'm glad you're safely at home. :)

Jo, you be careful getting home. I hope it doesn't slam you. I keep looking outside and shaking my head. Snow is ok with me......it's all that ice that has me worried. We've got trees groaning under the stress of the weight of both.

Cincy is level 3 and are reporting areas without power. Our stupid county decided to not use the Snow Emergency Rating. Well, our sherrif has. (How does this guy keep getting re-elected?) So I've seen a few attempt to get out that are currently having major trouble. sigh

Star*

call 911........call 911
DAISY

URGENT - URGENT!!!!!!

THAT TREE? If it is NOT on YOUR property and it falls INTO your house? IT WILL BE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO FIX YOUR HOME - Insurance WILL NOT COVER YOU.

You need to find out WHO owns the tree -
Type a letter stating you think (THINK) there are problems with it falling on your home
Send a copy to the homeowner/treeowner REGISTERED letter
Send a copy to YOUR insurance company

This does 2 things -

IF the tree falls on your house and is not your tree? WITH THAT LETTER it covers you and you could (could being the operative word) get your home redone for the cost of your deductible.

It also makes the tree owner responsible to cut it down NOW.....no waiting.

My Mom just went through this - and she had to PAY to cut down 4 of the best trees "friends" I had ever had - they were georgeous - when I saw her yard I cried. The trees had been infested with carpenter ants.

Ins. agent told my Mom and both neighbors that if THEIR tree falls on a house - it's a long ugly uphill battle in court because as a tree owner you are responsible and you WILL BE sued, and that's just the way of it.

GET THAT LETTER OUT TODAY!

If you rent? Then you MUST tell the landlord to do the same thing. In the mean time - if you have the letter INTO the ins. co. and that tree falls - there is a chance that HIS ins. will cover his house but not contents (your stuff) It may be worth your while to get (if you rent) renters insurance for contents until you get this tree thing solved.

FYI -

F

flutterbee

I went to bed at 8:30 last night, so I missed the sleet and freezing rain. We got some, but not near as much as you, Lisa, or even my mom in Columbus.

We had the big, fat flakes early this morning; I called them saucer flakes. They were about as big as the palm of my hand. It was beautiful. It's something you only see once every few years.

All in all, I'm guessing we got almost a foot. It's hard to tell, though, because we already had about 4 inches on the ground. However, from the driveway and sidewalk, that's what it seems to be.

We are at a level 2. Fortunately, I have a school on either end of my road, so it's one of the first ones plowed.

Early this morning, Buster just trotted out onto the snow to go potty. Underneath it was ice, so he didn't sink. Jewel did and it scared her when the snow broke beneath her feet; but Buster's so little he just pranced right along on top. I just let him out now and he was swimming. He looked so confused. He finally came back and pottied by the back door. :rofl:

skeeter

well, we survived so far......

I left for work really early yesterday (5am) before everyone else got out, so it only took me 75 minutes (instead of 30). I left about 2pm when husband called to say the snow had turned to sleet - took me about 75 minutes again.

Our electric started flickering on and off about 3am this morning, and continued to do so until about 10am. But it never stayed off.

It took me over an hour to chip through the ice and get into my car - then I let it run for another hour to thaw it out completely. I didn't go into work, just worked on the computer from home. Of course, every time the electricity flickered, it dumped me off of the server and eventually I couldn't get back on - probably because every else stayed home, too.

Yeah - Cincy just lifted the level 3 at 4pm. We've yet to see anything on our street - no salt, no plow, no nothing - and I live in the city limits. My neighbor and I were joking about making the street into a luge run.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather.....a whole foot. Wow, and I though I heard them say you guys wouldn't get as much as us down south. lol Goes to show how much they know. I LOLed at Buster and Jewel.

Star...I know who this tree belongs to. But it won't hit anything of mine. Might land on the neighbor across the street's car though. But if it goes....and it's still groaning.....it'll take the powerline with it. As for the old Pine, it's mine. It's bending nicely. Doesn't look like it's going to break. whew!

We can finally see pavement on our street.......sort of. lol And my brilliant Nichole came home for some unGodly reason this afternoon, and got herself stuck in the middle of the road. Then got mad because I refused to stand next to the car while she ran down the alley for sister in law. I told her to use her blinkers, that's what they're for. lol (I was very ticked she was out driving for the 2nd time today) sister in law talked her thru it and she went back over to boyfriend's house. Good thing......I don't think she'd have been able to get into the drive.

And I've got no phone. Moisture from the sleet inked it's way up the phone line under the siding. Somehow I have internet, but I have only static on the phone. ugh It'll take a while for it to dry out.

I hope everyone stays warm, has power, and nobody has any trees falling on their stuff! I am soooo jealous!!!! I love a snowstorm! We had a drop of snow, and now all rain.-Alyssa