Strange question for those in the know medically

Wiped Out

Staff member
When husband and I got home from work today easy child/difficult child told us she did not go to buy her books today because she passed out on the couch. At first I thought she meant passed out as in fell asleep. She said no, that she literally passed out (as in fainted). However she said she was out for about 5 hours. Is that even possible? I wouldn't think so but the only reason I'm asking is she didn't balk when I told her maybe we need to go to urgent care or at least call the doctor. Usually she would not want to go see a doctor. Any thoughts? Is it possible?

T

TeDo

Not sure if it's possible or not but my first thought was seizure of some sort or severe iron deficiency. I would definitely have it checked out sooner rather than later. Hope it's nothing.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Unconscious? Possible. Although then my question would be why would she be out so long and then come to? Know what I mean??

Passed out usually means for a few minutes, not hours.

Did easy child/difficult child have any medications today that she does not normally take? Did she perhaps take any cold/flu/headache medications?

I'm thinking a medication reaction due to the amount of time she believes to have been unconscious. Some OTC medications don't mix well with other medications, not to mention if directions aren't followed correctly it's not that hard to take too much too soon.

Only time I had something like that happen was when I was on the water pill Maxide. You have to be careful not to ingest potassium chloride while on it because it causes a serious reaction. I'd been taking it for years. Started a new multivitamin that I had checked to make sure didn't have the potassium chloride (it did, they just called it something else). Next morning I got up feeling horrid and weird. I made it to the bathroom and collapsed. I was out of it for quite a while, maybe 45 mins. Then loopy as heck for quite a long while. ER doctor checked me for everything, then thought to ask if I'd started a vitamin recently. Poof! We had the cause.

If she was unconscious that long she needs checked asap.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I do not think its possible to just faint and be out for five hours. Fainting? Yes, but not for five hours without waking up, being groggy and choosing to just snooze. Five hours is long even for a nap. Could she have been up all night studying or blabbing on the phone? Drunk? High? Just throwing it out there....you know your easy child best.

I would get it checked out and of she's okay with that, then all the more reason.

I hope it's nothing serious.

InsaneCdn

There can be medical causes - but none of those are "casual" stuff, as in, it would require checking out fairly urgently.
The non-medical causes are, of course, known - drugs, alcohol, or a "simple" case of sleep deprivation...
If she isn't prone to the latter ones, then medical care should definitely be sought. I wouldn't be taking chances.

susiestar

Roll With It
Fainting is a reason to be checked by a doctor. Fainting and being out for such a long time? URGENT need to be checked out by a dr. Being so tired you sat down and then crashed and the next thing you know it is 5 hours later? Common and could be caused by many things. I would get her checked out.

I know this is the LAST thing a parent wants to think about, but could she be using drugs, taking OTC medications in large amts or with other things, or drinking? Any chance she is sneaking out?

in my opinion if a doctor does not run a drug screen with a teen with these symptoms is going to HAVE to run a test for drugs and ask about alcohol use. It is somethng to think about, and maybe to discuss with easy child, esp if she is still on the medications in your signature. Be prepared for the doctor to ask these questions and possibly to do a drug test. some docs hide them and do them with other tests. easy child could have some kind of infection, esp if she isn't feeling good, and that could trigger a need for lab work so the doctor might not ask until after he gets some results. I just mention it as soemthign to be aware the doctor will likely ask. I hoep it was just being overtired and falling asleep rather than actually passing out and being out for so long.

I hope there is nothing serious of any kind going on.

Marguerite

Not fainting, and even less likely if she was already lying on the couch. Why was she lying on the couch? Was she already feeling faint or in some way "off"?

I'd be asking them to consider seizures; possibly a grand mal. Failing that, it could be a fair dose of drama queen coupled with some level of anaemia and mild exhaustion.

I agree with checking things out.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
I think we will need to get her checked out. She said she was sitting on the couch when it happened. I'm guessing it is mostly drama queen but think we will still have her checked. Her birth-mom did have epilepsy so maybe it was a seizure?

InsaneCdn

Present the evidence to the family doctor... write it out now, while it's fresh in your mind, so you don't miss details.