Stressful Weekend

tiredmommy

This is a big anniversary weekend for the TM household. Not only is it our 12th marriage anniversary tomorrow :)thumbsup:) but it's also the fourth anniversary of Duckie's BIG REACTION where her hands and feet swelled up. husband and I were terrified, we spent the weekend at urgent care, on the phone with our doctor, getting rushed labs and had multiple appointments on Columbus Day.

We didn't know if it was a heart problem, or leukemia, some kind of anemia or any other potentially horrid diagnosis. We never have gotten a clear answer on what happened to Duckie four years ago tonight. The best guess is that her autoimmune system flared greatly because she had a virus during the week before, pollens were at record levels and our basement had some minor flooding leading to the release of mold spores. It's thought that she had some kind of cascade effect.

The scary thing is what the urgent care doctor said. He thought it was an allergic reaction because it seemed anaphalactic-like but was confused as to why her throat didn't swell. The only thing he thought that might have stopped it was that she didn't have inflammation present in her breathing tubes from asthma.

She was diagnosis'd with asthma last fall.

And she had a nasty virus this week. She developed a few hives tonight too. And it's been another record breaking season for pollens.

I don't think I'll sleep well tonight... :(

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
((((hugs)))))

I can understand the tension and worry you must be feeling. Something like that is terrifying.......and to have the apparent reasons seeming to line up again......

I will never forget when Nichole went into anaphalactic shock over a bee sting. She was 4 or 5. She'd always been allergic to them.....found out the first time she was stung at 1 yr old. (that was an awful summer) But never more than a raging fever and hives.

With the anaphalactic shock one.....she'd stepped on the bee in the yard. I gave her benedryl per doctor orders. (he was determined to see if she could possibly outgrow it) A little puffiness with the foot, no hives when I put her to bed. Later that evening I'm downstairs watching tv with husband.......Over the tv I hear this desperate raspy breathing. I flew up the steps to find Nichole in respiratory distress. Hauled her to the car and drove the 3 blocks to the ER. Her fever was 104. Took two shots, several breathing treatments and lots of oxygen for her to finally come around.

It was the only time she didn't break into hives from a bee sting.

A year later had her in there because the dpt shot thru her into anaphalactic shock. :(

Keeping fingers crossed Duckie is stronger and will not have any type of reaction that can't be easily handled.

tiredmommy

Thanks Lisa. I'm having a hard time controlling my fear that something horrible will happen to her. I actually had a nightmare last night (it didn't help that I ran into her yesterday while working at the school, she was on her way from gym to the nurse because she needed her inhaler). Also we should get her seafood/shellfish rast test results this week too. I just don't know what I'd do if something happened to her.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
TM, I think you were the one who posted up to tell us that Duckie was being tested for allergy to shellfish?

Have you heard anymore on that?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sorry, we crossposted each other in cyberspace.

LMK how things turn out. Better you should learn this way than the way I did.

rejectedmom

TM happy wedding anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!! And please try to enjoy it in spite of your bad memories of a very difficult day for Duckie which happened on your special day.

-RM

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sending hugs. I remember those photo's of her ankles and hands. It was ugly and scary.

Happy anniversary to both you and husband.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Happy anniversary! I can appreciate the anxiety -- I hope it doesn't prevent you from enjoying the weekend.

(((Hugs)))

PS Our anniversary was Wednesday :) October is a busy wedding month!

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. :)

RM- We're having a peaceful day relaxing around the house... just the three of us. husband & Duckie went & picked up a few dvds and we'll watch the hockey game later.

Fran- I hope to never see anything like it again in my life. Thanks for the good wishes!

Gcvmom- It's easier to immerse myself in stuff during the day & evening. The stress sets in after bedtime. ;) Happy belated anniversary to you as well!

SW- Thanks! She's okay... her hives are almost gone. She still seems a little off so I'm keeping her nearby. Poor kid wanted a playdate at a friend's house and I said no. :(

Loth- Thanks!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Happy Anniversary! :D

Glad to hear Duckie is doing a little better today. Do you have a friend who could loan you an old baby monitor so you can listen in on her while she's sleeping? Would that make you feel better at night?

I did this once when Nichole was about 3 and had a horrible case of flu. Could not let her sleep with us........she took up the whole bed.......so borrowed a friends monitor and slept better knowing I could hear if she was having trouble during the night.

Hugs

tiredmommy

Kat- Thanks for the good wishes. I hope you feel better soon too!

Lisa- I still have her monitor tucked away and I take it out from time to time. I really don't need it though because my house is tiny. Our room is next to her room, the livingroom is near her room, the bathroom is across the hall. She shares a wall with the kitchen. It's kind of hard not to hear her, Know what I mean??

Abbey

Spork Queen
Happy Anniversary!!:D

I am/was allergic to bee stings. Had a similar episode when I was about 4, then a scare when I was 22 and 9 months pregnant. doctor said the same thing - most people outgrow that toxic reaction. I carried an epi pen for years...haven't in probably the last 10 years. Needless to say, I'm a tad nervous anytime one of those buggers comes around.

Hope your weekend is peaceful.

Abbey

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am not allergic to honeybee stings, but am allergic to yellowjacket (hornets) stings. I don't get wheezing or swelling of the airways, but whatever I get stung in swells up enormously and can take weeks to go down.

Back in the years when husband and I spent more time outdoors than in, a lot of which was serious hiking, I carried an epinephrine injector.

I haven't carried one in many years, but I probably should. There is always a possibility of having a more severe reaction the "next" time.

tiredmommy

Deb & Kat- I'd strongly suggest you get epi-pens for the peace of mind. A serious reaction can occur quickly.

Sharon- Thanks for the prayers and good wishes... we need them.

Duckie is back to being hyper again and yes, her temp is back up as of about 5pm. It's a mild temp (100.1F) but it would be enough to keep her home tomorrow if it weren't a holiday.

I don't know what I'm going to do. :(