Struggling with decisions

susiestar

Roll With It
She is dealing drugs and harassing you over using your car, but she thinks you should allow her to control the custody of small children? Do you know what your future will be if you allow her to have that much power? Every single time you want to tell her no, she will threaten to take the children
. Or she will take them somewhere and not bring them home, and you will have zero way to make her bring them back. She will figure out that she can get a charity to give her help toward getting a house if she has the kids, and she will get money and food stamps each month, and she will get all sorts of other free things, and she will use those kids to get stuff as she puts them through the wringer and makes the kids, and you, miserable.

You will feel awful because you could have prevented it. You need to put the needs of the minor children above the needs of this adult who cannot or will not get her act together. She can take care of herself. They cannot. Get custody. Do NOT leave them vulnerable to her. Who knows what she would do, or who she would bring into their lives.

If you get consistent about telling her no, she will ramp up asking and pestering you, and then it will stop. It will ramp up in an effort to break down your will to thwart her. If you persist in saying no, and you just keep telling her no or even end the call the minute she asks for something, she will stop calling to ask for something. You will know if she only calls to ask you for something, because she won't ever call, but at least you will know.

I say this because letting someone use your car when you know they use drugs is a very bad idea. They are going to harm someone, or be seriously harmed. They are behind the wheel of a deadly weapon and are most likely impaired while they are using it. If they are found to have used your car to sell or transport their illegal drugs, your car can and likely will be seized and sold at auction. Your insurance will not pay you for the value of the car, or the balance of the outstanding loan on the car. You will still have to pay it. You know your daughter will not pay it with her money from selling drugs. You will also have a very hard time getting insurance on another car at a reasonable rate. The government does not have to prove that you knew that she was using your car in her drug transactions, at least not in most states. They have to prove that the car was being used in her drug transactions in some capacity. Period. Even if it was not her car that she was using.

Be VERY careful with your car. There is absolutely no way that I would let her use my car no matter how much she whine or moaned or was obnoxious. Cars are too expensive, and are simply too dangerous in the hands of those who are known to use illegal substances. If she gets on your nerves asking to use the car, or whining because you won't let her use it, hang up the phone, leave where she is, or make her leave your home, If she won't leave your home, call the cops and tell them that she is causing a disturbance and will not leave. It may seem harsh, but it will only take a few times to teach her that she cannot walk all over you. It will also provide a more peaceful home for the kids. If she is acting like this, she isn't really a good mother for them to have around, no matter what kind of guilt trip she tosses around.

litbitblack

Bright thinking isn't it and I see it in this generation of kids. Not every kid but you still see it. She doesn't use my car. I refuse to allow her to use it. The car she is driving is her sisters but it is in my name until she gets a license which I need to check I may be able to gift it to her is so I will do that this week. The car is paid for by my youngest daughter and she is the one allowing her to drive. I get better at saying no but the guilt she poors on sometimes gets thru --- I have custody at this time and court for finalizing that custody is coming up . She thinks I won't ever let her see her daughter but that's not true and I know she will pull that bs of using her daughter to get what she wants so I won't give in it just helps to have different things to say when she is pushing all this other stuff about wanting her daughter. Kids are so frustrating when you know they are smarter than what they are acting

DoneDad

The car she is driving is her sisters but it is in my name until she gets a license which I need to check I may be able to gift it to her is so I will do that this week. The car is paid for by my youngest daughter and she is the one allowing her to drive.

If the car is in your name, you are going to suffer all the repercussions susiestar pointed out. Not younger sister. Not difficult daughter. If it's in your name, you are responsible for it. If she gets in an accident high or with drugs in the car, insurance (if she even has any) isn't going to pay anything. If she injures somebody, that could be hundreds of thousands of dollars that you will be on the hook for.

If she asks for car keys, the only right response is "no." If younger daughter is letting her drive it, take the keys from her. Disconnect the battery and take the negative (black) cable and lock it up.

litbitblack

i could scream sometimes.....well the car issue became a physical fight between the two siblings because the youngest got tired of not having her car but cs ( the youngest who owns the car) gave in to DS (the in trouble one and mom to grandbaby) basically let her drive the car to drop her off at home. on the way they got pulled over and the car searched because it apparently smelled like weed. They both smoke. DS has been denying it and either passing drug test or they arent doing drug test but CS told me she was smoking again. Somehow they got out of going to jail and the cops couldn't find anything. DS is so manipulative and makes threats that CS gives in either from being scared or guilt. DS continues to steal money from my mom but denies it and my mom says leave it alone. DS has now started saying im trying to prevent her from getting her daughter back because i won't let her use my car to go to a job interview or my brand new lawn mower to mow a yard to make some money. I had to find a babysitter for the weekends i work that was dependable. During all this crap with the car when CS was letting DS keep the car DS didn't show up to babysit and take CS to work. Thats kinda what set the fight up-CS finally got tired of it. So i have found someone to babysit. I didn't tell DS where she was going and shes getting pissed off claiming "I have a right to know whats going on with my daughter. Look at your custody papers it says I have a right to know that." It hurts me to feel so much irritation and disgust with my child. i know she throws the "your just trying to keep me from getting my daughter back" when I don't give her what she wants but she talks :censored2: to me all ghetto and crap and makes generalized threats. She even admitted to being involved in the shooting she somehow managed to get the other guy to take that charge on. When she gets herself worked up she says "Ill take a murder charge for my daughter you bet that!!!" and " youve only seen a 1/4 of what can come over my daughter." Threats obviously! Im just waiting for her to mess up but with the current system i don't know that it will happen.....I still haven't heard if she is getting charged with the missing money order that it appears she took on camera from stripes when she was working there. I don't know if they are going to drop it or what....ugggg frustrating!!! Sorry if this is all jumbles she is just so frustrating.
!!!

pigless in VA

LBB,

Did you gain custody of your granddaughter? It sounds like she needs to be with you. I'm sorry that your daughter's life is such a train wreck.

litbitblack

Hi LBB,

Did your younger daughter get her car back?
She got it back and continued to allow her to use it but not as much. Not for lack of DS trying. Then it wouldn't start and the starter is out.. so she hasn't had a choice. She is starting to see the issue but her sister uses her ways to get what she wants.... that's how the fight started.... then she has the audacity to say it's all my fault I said your an adult and at some point you have to take responsibiltiy

Acacia

We keep wanting to give our adult children the benefit of the doubt, but the truth is that you have gone far and beyond what a reasonable person would do, and I totally agree with those who have posted that you need to do what is best for your grandchildren and pursue custody. With your daughter, the less talk the better. Every time I try to have a rational discussion with my difficult daughter I get drawn into the FOG and manipulated by her pain. She doesn't seem worried about anyone else's pain. Stay strong.

litbitblack

So court is coming up in 1 week. Visited with my attorney last week. He doesn't seem to think there will be an issue with finalizing custody but I am always cautious when it comes to things out of my control. I explained this fear to my attorney and he said he will be reminding the judge that both parents were in jail when the temp order was given. She has been out of jail 6 months - is on her 3rd job- she finally got a job at sonic. It takes her 2 months of searching to find a job because of her history and her 1 st two jobs she got fired from. I haven't seen or heard anything on the money order theft so I don't know if that is going to be pursued or if she will get lucky and it will get dropped. My attorney also said he can bring up what i told him about her admitting to be involved in the shooting she managed to get out of but I can't remember word for word what she said so I don't know if I want him to go that route. Does the above sound like enough for me to maintain full custody? The father doesn't get out of jail until the 20 th and he only showed up to 4 visitations so i am asking for no visitation from him.... what are your opinions.?

litbitblack

Well court has to be rescheduled d/t a jury trial that carried over from the weekend. Now the bio dad is out of jail and will most likely try to contact for visitation. I don't feel like he should get it- why does my grand daughter have to do deal with him coming in and out of her life....