Stupid gripe!

DDD

I'm "fussy" today. I want to watch something on television that will help me get my mind off reality, lol. We have channels and channels and more channels. There is not one thing that I want to watch.

Back in the 50's and thru to the 70's we had four channels...ABC, NBC,
CBS and the educational channel. Somehow out of those slim pickings it was usually possible to watch something entertaining or educational. Now
I see reruns and more reruns. There are so many L&O's played that I feel like I've seen them all twice. Ugh. Out of seven nights there are maybe three or four at prime time that I enjoy. Is it me? DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Nooooooope. Sorry. I'm 45 - I'm have cable in the den for DF with the extra Western Channel tier for him. We PAY for that quality TV because the rest of the cable we get is in our opinion garbage. No offense to anyone hispanic, but he was infuriated when we got our Time Warner set up, and we had to pay for three stations that were completely in Spanish. FURIOUS. So I had to call the local office and tell them to BLOCK the channels. He didn't even want them as he cruised through. I couldn't blame him, but I'm a little more tolerant. They told us we could do it on OUR TV. Not good enough. He wanted credit for the 2 stations. He kept on and on until they finally just took a minute to block them. He finally said - JUST TAKE THEM OFF I DON'T CARE IF I PAY FOR THEM. We got DVR service at a reduced rate. lol

The rest of what's on? Well...if you don't want to watch a cop show, or a doctor show, or a lawyer show, or a reality show, buy something, or send money to the Lord? There's not much left but Animal planet and History channel....and that's what I watch. lol.

I have a few shows I enjoy - but even last Saturday I went into Blockbuster to rent a movie and the staff was rude, no one greeted me with a smile, it was like I didn't exist...the movies that were POPULAR were not anything I cared to see, and not once but TWICE a staff person cut in front of me without saying excuse me to put movies up - and believe me there was NO particular order in that store -it was all mishmosh....couldn't find anything felt defeated and left. At least on the way out one fella said "Have a nice day." ;) - That at least made me want to come back sometime.

So no, I don't think it's you ----I find myself enjoying the shows like All in the Family and Sanford and Son when they do come on. Guess I'm showing my age too. I like Bones - but it's on the SAME time we eat and honestly I don't have the stomach to eat while she's digging in a corpse with all those great sound and visual effects. :sick:

trinityroyal

DDD, you're definitely not alone.

Actually, husband and I were also griping about this very thing just a few days ago. The explosion of channels has done more harm to quality TV than anyone could have imagined. Think about it:

All of a sudden, instead of 4 channels, or 10, or even 40, you have 500 channels available. Each one of them requires 24 hours worth of content. BUT good quality shows are very expensive. So...you put on one or two good shows at prime time, and fill up the rest of the schedule with dreck.

But, all of the other channels have the same idea. So every single one of the good shows is broadcast at the same time. All of the broadcasters are competing for the same viewers in the same 2-hour window. The rest of the day, nothing but koi.

And, because the budget is thrown at those 2 or 3 hours of good television, there's no money left for other shows. Since "reality" shows cost so much less than proper scripted comedies or dramas, they produce more and more of those and fewer and fewer of the other shows...and the cycle continues.

husband and I don't watch live TV anymore. We PVR everything, or watch DVDs.

Trinity

muttmeister

Nope, not just you. Where I live, we don't have cable and can get only one channel (Fox) over air so I have satellite TV. I probably get over 150 channels and there is almost never anything on I want to watch. And what I do watch is mostly on the traditional networks. I do watch PBS occasionally and History channel is sometimes OK but it seems like over half of the channels I get are home shopping channels, something I NEVER use.

I had to laugh about the Spanish channels. When I was in Egypt we had a guide who spoke flawless English and when we asked him how he learned it so well he said that when he was growing up his mother made him watch the TV shows that were broadcast in English and she wouldn't allow him to use the subtitles. So..., knowing only a LITTLE Spanish, I have been putting those channels on occasionally, hoping it will help me with my Spanish but instead of learning much, I seem to just get frustrated.

We do get satellite radio through our DirecTV and I like that but lately I discovered internet radio and it has even more channels and is FREE.

That's why I'm on book # 18 since January 1.

KTMom91

We have Dish, with I don't even know how many channels. Hubby watches Syfy, Miss KT watches a variety of strangeness, and I watch Travel, HGTV, Food Network, some Syfy (love those Ghost Hunters!), Discovery, TLC, History, History International...and very little network TV.

I may be in the minority, but I like having a large selection to choose from. And if there's nothing on but koi, the TV goes off.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have cable and have to get an "extended package" to get the shows and channels I want.

BUT, I sure don't need 4 sports channels, 2 golf channels, and more Christian channels than you can shake a stick at. I'd say I have nearly a hundred channels. My dream is to be able to call the cable company and order just the channels I WANT.

For example, I'd love to be able to get Starz and HBO, but would have to upgrade my current package to get even more channels I don't watch and my rate would go even higher.

DammitJanet

Well I am one who watches all the Law and Order shows, all the CSI shows, all the criminal intent shows,

So I need ION, A&E, TNT, CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. I also love HLN for Prime News. Slueth is also good. Encore has some good movies. USA does good too. I have to have ESPN and NFL channel. Not to mention the Redzone. Oh lets not leave out TRU. Oh and I cant forget VH1 because they have Celebrity Rehab with Dr Drew...lol. Tony has to have the History Channel and Versa. Keyana cant live without Disney and Nick. We all love the country video channel. There is probably another hunting and fishing channel I have missed that tony watches.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We can't pick up any stations here without cable or satellite. It's the position of the town. I know because we've tried. lol :tongue:

We've also got endless channels of basically nothing. I will say that I've recently discovered NCIS and I'm enjoying it. I like the chemistry between the characters on the show.

I simply cannot stand reality tv.:mad: They throw that stuff at us because they have no new ideas for shows that will draw an audience and try to convince us it's entertainment. phht!

I do watch sci fi channel on occasion.......as they're more prone to coming up with original ideas and the shows are often very good. And no, it's not all about space stuff. lol They had one called Dead Like Me that I just LOVED!

But usually if I'm going to sit in front of the tube it will be turned to History channel, the health channel, or discovery and National Geographic channel.

I hate the idea of paying for all those channels we never even use. It's downright stupid.

I know I can't do like husband does and sit and watch news all day. Too darn depressing.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I am SO not a TV person. We went without one until about 10 years ago and no cable until last year. The only reason I consented to getting cable was because it had the Animal Planet on it. :) I swear I'd never change the channel. I can't stand channel flickers.

When I was in Madison my friend got me hooked on Family Guy but I still couldn't tell you what day of the week or what time it comes on...I just stumble across it trying to get to Animal Planet.

Abbey

Fran

Former desparate mom
I find a lot of the newer shows are good but my gripe is commercials. It is more commercials that show. Ridiculous.
I love some of the new things Fox has come up with. I think it forced the regular networks to step up their game.
I love the reruns of NCIS,CSI(although I must admit I stopped watching them recently) Now, I watching Criminal Minds if it isn't too creepy.
The season of new shows seems to be shorter and shorter. The length of the actual show is shorter and shorter.

I wonder if in the past the new season all started in the same week. We were in a heightened state of anticipation working our way up to that week. Now who knows when the new season starts or ends.

Anyhow, my gripe is commercials. Hope you don't mind if I tag my gripe with your gripe DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can remember when one of the big things the cable companies pushed in terms of advertising is that they had no commercials. Now, it seems like it's more commercials than shows.

witzend

I'm with Lisa. I hate reality TV, which is anything but real. I have never been so much as tempted to watch SYTYCD, AI, AGT, anything that has a "contest" to see who's the best, especially if it has to do with the people who watch the program voting.

I do like true crime, and educational type shows, though. I'm hooked on "Holmes on Homes" right now, and have always loved "Antiques Roadshow". And I like shows with a good story. NBC has totally slit it's throat with this Leno/O'brien thing. Not that either show was a big hit with me, but it's so typical of them. They have no loyalty to their programming whatsoever. I don't even bother to watch anything new on their stations anymore because I know they're going to cancel it, so why bother?

Trinity, if push comes to shove, you can always try watching something on hulu.com. Some of the old shows that you loved but haven't seen in an age are on there in full.

DDD

What a relief to find out that I haven't turned into a crotchety old woman!
:D Fran, never worry about any diversion. Haven't you notice that I often don't even realize that I am guilty of that. My mind works like a conversation (unless it has to do with business or health, lol) and I go with the flow. For example ;) I didn't even think about griping about the commercials and you are absolutely right. It's ridiculous.

Criminal Minds is probably the show I've been watching most often lately.
The Aspie genius just fascinates me. The way his team have adapted to his quirks is smooth. Sure wish my AS kid could find coworkers of pals that loyal to redirecting.

See, LOL, I just did it again. What you read is what you'd hear if we
were sitting having tea! DDD

DammitJanet

DDD, I adore Criminal Minds and Numbers! The aspie geniuses on those two shows are amazing characters to me. Gosh to be so smart!

muttmeister

I'm enjoying hearing what you all watch; maybe this will put us onto some good new shows.

Personally, my favorites are Big Bang Theory, NCIS, NOVA, CSI Las Vegas, Numbers, and PBS Mystery and sometimes I also watch Two and a Half Men (it's sort of jumped the shark lately) and The Mentalist. My new favorite is Castle.
And in February the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show will be on. That's worth waiting for.

trinityroyal

Trinity, if push comes to shove, you can always try watching something on hulu.com. Some of the old shows that you loved but haven't seen in an age are on there in full.

Thanks Witz. I'll have to check that out.

It's strange. I've been watching a lot of episodes of The Rockford Files lately (which husband was kind enough to PVR for me). Watching a show from the early 70s really highlights the differences between the way TV used to be and the way it is now. I'm definitely a crotchety old woman, age notwithstanding. They just don't make'em like they used to.

Trinity

DDD

easy child/difficult child enjoys White Collar and has me watch with him. Not bad. My easy child
daughter recommends "Men of a Certain Age" which I'll try to catch tonight. I forgot to include Food Network in my preferences. Alot of that is my cup of tea. DDD