Stupid Question

barbie

MOM of 3
Noone ever sat me down and talked to me about Erics foods allergies, so I have a stupid question, he is allergic to wheat does that mean he has gluten allergy too? Cause if the answer is yes then I do seriously need to reconsider the foods Eric is eating and rethink snacking.

smallworld

How was Eric's allergy diagnosed? Does he have celiac disease? What kind of doctor is treating him?

By the way, no question is stupid.

Josie

This is just my opinion as a mother of two gluten/casein intolerant girls. If you know he is allergic to wheat, I would give up all gluten and see what happens.

My girls are not officially diagnosis'ed with celiac disease but it is in my family and one of them has stomach issues from eating gluten. The other one is a difficult child when she eats gluten or milk and a easy child when she doesn't. We would never have known this if we didn't try giving it up. We have to be super strict about cross contamination to avoid the behaviour.

Several years ago, I tried giving up gluten but wasn't super strict and didn't notice any difference. 2 years ago, I tried it and avoided all traces and I can feel such a difference in myself that I will never go back to eating gluten. I would have said I had no symptoms before I tried it.

If he has the kind of allergy where he goes into anaphalactic shock when he eats wheat, I'm not sure about giving up gluten. If you think his wheat allergy is affecting his behaviour or the way he feels, give the gluten free diet a try.

SRL

I have found allergy testing for foods to be highly erratic. I've had lifelong food allergies and some of the things that were identified by the allergist gave me obvious and almost immediate symptoms while others on the list never gave me one noticable problem. I have a friend who had allergy testing at three different places (including Mayo Clinic). All three clinics had different results and out of the 15 or so foods identified, only 2 give her symptoms of any kind when introduced back into the diet after eliminating.

With foods, the only real applicable test is the elimination and reintroduction route, but as was mentioned, if the wheat allergy is very seious then you need to consult with the allergist.

Josie

I agree the best way is to eliminate and re-introduce. I had food allergy testing done on my younger daughter recently. According to it, she doesn't have a problem with gluten. They said they tested differently and she should still avoid gluten but it made it hard for me to believe the test results after that.

barbie

MOM of 3
diagnosed from blood work, he is allergic to cows milk, egg whites, soy, wheat, corn, codfish, peanuts and walnuts.

Josie

Have you noticed any improvements since eliminating those foods? any problems when he has them?

I recently did the blood test on my daughter and that is the one that didn't show gluten and I know she has problems with that. If you noticed some improvement, especially at first, from eliminating wheat, I would getting rid of gluten.

Lulu

barbiealonso, I'm going to be trying an elimination diet in late May, when preschool lets out for the summer (so I can control snacks, too). In addition to going gluten and casein-free, I"m going to be eliminating some other additives (colors) and ingredients (amines and salicylates). Then I'll be adding back in one area at a time to see if the behaviors/reactions return. I'll try to post when I'm ready to do it and let you know if I see behavior improvement. My kids also have eczema and occasional mouth ulcers (apthous ulcers), so I'm hoping this will go away, too.