Substance abuser dies

Tiredof33

My cousin's husband's funeral is tomorrow. I have only met him a few times because they have had an extremely stormy marriage.

He has been in prison several times, both alcohol and drug related. My mother said he is a very giving and polite person when he is sober. He has helped family and friends work on their homes and cars free. Drugs and alcohol made him belligerent and he was in trouble a lot.

He cleaned up about 4 years ago and has had serious health problems. No pension because he couldn't hold a job, no insurance because he couldn't pass (or afford) the medical exams.

When I met him about 2 years ago he was about 44 yo and I didn't recognize him he had aged so much. It is such a waste of a life and these difficult children are not realizing the damage they are already doing to their young bodies.

A

AmericanGirl

Tired,

I'm really sorry for your loss. It isn't ever easy but, under these circumstances, it is even harder.

Calamity Jane

Tired,
I'm sorry. It seems like he has been clean for 4 years, according to your post, and died of health problems. He's awfully young. If he was in fact, in recovery, then it's fortunate that he was able to accomplish that major hurdle before he died. It's a shame...we never know when the end is going to come, and we just have to be prepared as best as we can. Again, I'm sorry for everyone involved.