Subway asked us to leave with JJ...

buddy

That's scary. You think you are innocently shopping and there are people with who knows what going on on their heads....geez.

BusynMember

Make sure you have JJ's orange vest on! (I'm sure you did).

Some people, I swear, like to make things difficult on purpose. The grown up difficult children of this world!!!!

Last edited:

buddy

Well, his isn't orange but yes it was on and clearly marked as a service dog though in the USA there is no requirement for that but it does help people get it and not touch or distract the dog.

Some organizations say that having the vest on shows how valuable the dog is which can be risky.

We always have it on and jj has learned it's time to be focused when it is on.

People often make kissy sounds etc. and I don't understand. I grew up knowing you don't distract working dogs.

BusynMember

Buddy, yeah, I've seen people walk up to a working dog who is seated beside, say, a man in a McDonald's booth and pet it!!!!

What we really need is more information out there to Joe and Jane Citizen so that they know more about disabled people, including their lifesaving service dogs. People just don't get it and it's sad.

buddy

Thank you, we are working with service dog group to have cards that include an individualized portion to meet legal requirements. The only thing they can ask is if the dog is used to mitigate a disability area and they can ask what he does. Q does not like me to answer that kind of thing and so we are adding it to the card.

Of course we are still training and in our state dogs in training have equal access rights.

We don't use him much in public areas anyway, just a few quick things each week but we train hard for it. Jj has never been inappropriate. He does recently shake off, so we are training to get that on cue, it's not good form to shake esp in a restaurant. He's never done that but i don't want it to happen.
The cards also have the dept of justice number on them.

As I said, we have had no other problems in seven months but i realize it's inevitable. My goal is for q to be able to use jj more independently over the years. He does half the care giving. He will have to keep JJ in control and answer questions appropriately.

We are still newbies and at least for us, we may not be perfect service dog owners, but it has made our quality of life dramatically better and jj is treated like a king. Well behaved king. He is young and had maturing to do.....but all signs are good.