Succeeding with herbs + avoiding sensitivities

Hi, I have lurked occasionally, but haven't posted on the new forum before. I have been trying out alternative treatments for my son for almost four years now...had success in pretty much eliminating the ODD symptoms first, by avoiding food sensitivities and using herbs that help clear toxins from the liver. Now I've found something that helps with the ADHD symptoms as well, which I heard about on another website. For ODD symptoms, we are using two ayurvedic herbs (which I am fortunately able to get locally). One is Phyllanthus, which is supposed to help clear accumulated liver toxins in the body, the other is Shankpushpi, which helps with both the liver & the mind. For ADHD symptoms, we are using an herbal product called Zan.

Can you tell me more about Zan?

------------------
10 year old difficult child...ADHD and signs of ODD. Explosive, violent with other kids, unpredictable. On Dexedrine 5mg. Also an 8 year old easy child. Socks (our new cat) is perhaps the only sane being in the house, and therapy for us all...

Single mom, ex is overseas.

We each of us choose...whether we enjoy this life, or make of it a misery...whether we bring that joy or misery to others.

Well, tell us more.. Im always interested in this stuff.. I hear that clensing the liver is a good start!!! soo..
First how old is your kid.. what was he like before?? was he on medications?? is he off.. Im very nosey!!!

and then tell us about this stuff. I have never heard of either of them!!! SOOO
DO TELL!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!!
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"

I'm also very interested in the difficult child's age, etc. & could you tell the quanity you give him?

Thanks.

Straw
biggrin.gif

difficult child, age 7, sensory dysfunction & ADHD. Have had success with gluten free diet & Pfeiffer vitamin treatment center.

To answer your questions--
My son is almost 12 years old now. I don't like to even think about the way he used to be. It was like he started out as a teenager--mouthy, defiant, disrespectful, constantly opposing you, impulsive, hyperactive, plus he would go into these terrible rages at times...would yell, break things, hit, kick, bite, try to insult you. Nothing would work with him--any kind of consequence just made him worse--even if it was just not getting something he wanted. He also had gotten into trouble at school, had been suspended several times because of aggressive behavior. It was hard to feel loving toward him, because he was so negative so much of the time.
Things started to shift once I figured out his food sensitivities, & even more so when a naturopath suggested using some herbs to help clear the liver. Our relationship started to change, we were able to connect in a much more loving way. Having experienced success in eliminating the ODD behaviors through more natural means gave me the encouragement to continue researching & trying out different things to help with the ADHD behaviors. That's why we have not ever tried prescription medication--although I probably would have at some point, had we not made progress through other means.

The Phyllanthus we use is made by a company called Nature Care Products. It is a 250mg extract, standardized for 10mg Sequiterpenes.
The phone number on the bottle is (800)923-9338.
The natural foods grocery store I buy it from is called Nature's Northwest. They sell it for about $10, I think. Their number is (503)288-3414.

The Shankpushpi I buy as a bulk powder for about a dollar an ounce at a local herb shop here. I put it into 00 size capsules (that's about 1/4 tsp, maybe a little less). You can get as much or as little as you want when you go into the store--I don't know if there's a minimum for mail orders. The name of that store is Health Naturals. Their number is (503)242-9055.

The phone number for Zan is 888-926-6288. They also have a website http://www.zan-pro.com
There are different dosages for different weights. The website tells about the dosage & also gives information about the ingredients & what they do. It also has responses from some people who have tried it.

Here are the dosages we do:
AM 1 Phyllanthus
1 Shankpushpi
1 Zan

Noon 1 Shankpushpi (we sometimes skip the noon dosage on weekends)

4PM 1 Carlson Super DHA (500mg)
1 Shankpushpi
1 Artichoke extract capsule
1 Ambrotose
The DHA I give to stengthen the neurons in the brain. It is heating, & will add to a fiery temper unless balanced with cooling herbs, therefore the Shankpushpi & Artichoke extract. The Artichoke is good for both the liver & the digestion. The Ambrotose is something I give to help with my son's learning disablilities. (He also has trouble with some higher level language processing. With both my son & a couple of other people I know this has seemed to help stimulate the language part of the brain. DMG with folic acid also helps with this).

At bedtime, I also give my son a couple of calcium-magnesium capsules, since he is allergic to dairy, & it helps him to sleep.

For a 7 year old, probably 1/2 a Phyllanthus capsule in the morning would be enough of that.

Someone else might not need either the noon or 4PM supplements.

Well, there you have it! I hope I have answered all of your questions (maybe I said more than you wanted to know!)

sherry

Thanks a bunch for the information, I am going to read this side thoroughly!

------------------
9 yo stepson with severe ADHD and diagnosed with conduct disorder, but we think ODD. Currently on dextrostat (7.5 mg in morning, 5mg at noon). Mother of 17 & 22 yo. (22yo also difficult child, severe Learning Disability (LD)) 12 month old grandson, don't see very often. 1 cat, 2 ferrets, 1 hamsters, 1 bird. difficult child is on high dosages of vitains and herbs, including pycnogenol, zinc, kid calm, daily mutivitamins and minerals, b-complex

Thank you so much for the info. I don't have time now, but plan to print & read it. We need all the members we can get to post the natural treatments that have worked for them!

Straw
biggrin.gif

Thanks.
I think I will archive this so I can use it as a reference!!! I am willing to try about ANYTHING NOW..
You went to see a natural path.. WOW, I sure wish I could do that one. there are NONE around here..

Please stick around here. I would love to see you post more often!!!!!!

------------------
7 yr old girl Bipolar/ADD/ODD
Currently on a new natural treatment (wish me luck)
off ALL medications!!
Fav. Funny quote- "Yesterday I was a dog. Today I'm a dog. Tomorrow I'll
probably still be a dog. <Sigh!> There's so little hope for advancement."
- Snoopy

"With out God, my life would fall apart"