suggestion for a bread recipe that does not include white flour?

ctmom05

I use a basic white bread recipe to make just about all the bread we eat. It's simple to make and it only costs a dollar a loaf to produce.

I keep hearing that white flour is practically "nutritionally offensive." When we were eating store-bought bread we enjoyed trying all different grain mixes.

Any suggestions for a recipe that uses easily available ingredients, but includes no white flour at all?

susiestar

Roll With It
I would do a search on recipezaar.com . I do know that when one relative went on the Atkins plan they made a bread with soy flour.

ctmom05

I ended up using a recipe that was a mix of flours; white with whole wheat - and that's a good place to start. It also had a little bit of plain yogurt in it. The recipe was from Taste of Home; one of my favorite cooking and baking resources and can be found at

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Yogurt-Wheat-Bread

As I generally do, I added an egg to the recipe and reduced the liquid called for by a couple of ounces. I also used cooked bulgar wheat soy cereal in place of the wheat germ, because it was what I had on hand.

We had some of the bread as toast this morning - it was fantastic. Part of the reason I bake my own bread is that it saves money and I can vary the ingredients to suit our tastes.