Summer Reading for the kids (and us?)

susiestar

Roll With It
I thought it might be nice to toss out some titles for books for our kids and/or us grown ups to read this summer.

For the whole family I recommend any of the Hank the Cowdog series. They are great reads and great read out loud books.

For the 8 to 13 yo girls I recommend Trixie Belden books. They are a series like nancy drew except the girls go ahead and take care of things instead of waiting to be rescued.

For the less refined taste in books I recommend Andy Griffith's books. So far he has written "The Day my Butt Went Psycho", Zombie Butts from Uranus", What Buttosaur is That?", and "Butt Wars: The Final Conflict". Not being particularly refined people, my husband read those while we were all at the dinner table eating!

There are also the "ology" books that are a lot of fun. "Spyology, Wizardology, Pirate ology, and so many more ology titles. They are quite detailed and appeal to many kids.

The Narnia books are a great series for kids. thank you has read two or three of them and is hooked.

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer is another good series.

Any other suggestions???

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think I mentioned this in another post but, the House of Night series by easy child & Kristen Cast - however warning - under 14 not a good idea due to some sexual references. But, they're very good books too!

For the younger set:

The Cricket in Times Square (+ Chester Cricket series) - George Selden
The Mouse and the Motorcycle (+ Ralph Mouse series)
The House with a Clock in its Walls (+ the rest of the series) - John Bellairs
Bunnicula
Left Behind: The Kids (series)
The Phantom Tollbooth
Any of the Ramona Quimby books
Prince Ombra
The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy (series) - Douglas Adams
the Xanth series (Piers Anthony and there are a kajillion books in this series)
M.Y.T.H. Inc. (series) - Robert Asprin
Spellsinger Series - Alan Dean Foster

Narnia is excellent! Hands down.

by the way - I have read most of these books within the last 4 years. I love going back to my childhood.

susiestar

Roll With It
I forgot one.

Eloise the Ultimate Edition - about a mischievous six year old who lives at the Plaza Hotel. This has several Eloise stories all in one book.

I think she might have been one of the first difficult children in a book! It is delightful and fun, great illustrations and lots of laughs. She has a dog named Weenie and a turtle named Skiperdee and she has to braid the turtles ears at bedtime.

Eloise has a delightful nanny (played by Julie Andrews in the movie) and drives the top level staff at the hotel nuts.

Can I be Eloise when I grow up?

DazedandConfused

Here's a few more:

Wimpy Kid series by Jeff Kinney (#2 is my personal favorite. Hilarious!)

Dear Dumb Diary series by Jim Benson (Humor)

Babymouse series (graphic novels) by Jennifer Holm (Humor)

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart (Are you a smart kid?)

Tunnels by Roderick Gordon (fast paced)

Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz (Very fast paced)

The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (Beware the "odious" nanny!)

I also love the "Butt" series by Andy Griffiths.