Summer respite is looking good

Wiped Out

Staff member
We met today with difficult child's case manager (the one with the new program difficult child is signed up for). He is signing him up for 6 or 7 weeks of summer camps. Some are a few hours a day, some all day, some all day with one night a week sleeping over, and possibly one week of all overnight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

husband and I may even get to have one week with easy child and difficult child both gone overnight-talk about respite!

Also one of the other programs they set up will provide us with two nights of respite per month. If they can't find respite in close proximity they would probably make it whole weekends!

I can hardly believe that all of this is happening! Real respite and camps which spells more respite!

LittleDudesMom

Sharon, great news!! Especially great given you can really have a great last day tomorrow knowing you are going to have some respite over the summer and difficult child may actually enjoy the whole camp experience and learn something along the way.

Hope his graduation/moving up went well this morning.

Hugs,
Sharon

Andy

Wow! To have an entire Summer scheduled is a wonderful thing. Then to have that schedule providing you with needed breaks. I am so happy for you.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

I'm so happy for you & husband. Respite has been the number one service that has kept husband & myself sane.

You'll find that the first few respites you won't know how to relax or not talk continually about difficult children. After a time, you will relax, do your own thing, learn to spend time together again as a couple & forget you have kids until they are due home.

Our last respite weekend I slept, tried to play piano, painted. husband has been composing music & writing for a company newsletter. That evening we cooked together then spent the evening playing majong. It was a delightful weekend. Sunday we spent in the yard - me, sketching; husband working on the yard work.

Again, I'm ecstatic for you - use respite well, use it often. You may find a change in difficult child as well.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate all of your support. It is so good to know that real respite is on the way. The strange thing is I somehow am feeling a bit of guilt that we need it. However, we do need it and I'm sure difficult child needs it too. I believe what Linda says about probably not being able to relax at first because it will seem so strange.

Sharon-by the way-difficult child's graduation was very nice! He was a bit squirmy but a lot of the kids were.