Summer Time Joys

Andy

I have noticed that for some of us Summer is a relief and for others it is an increased stress. So, if anyone is interested, I would like to start two threads. This one will be for those who find Summer less stressful than the school year for any number of difficult child reasons.

You can write your success stories here. What makes summer easier for you? Maybe someone can pick up on the positive things you do during the summer and offset their challenges?

crazymama30

Positive things for us are summer camps. For my difficult child he does best with outdoor exploring type stuff. Going to the lakes and playing pirates, and so on. Not so sure about sports type camps, we are trying that this year. I am leary of that, difficult child gets so competitive.

This year we are going to work on structure. If I can atleast regulate bed and wake time I think that will help. It did over christmas break.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Positives for ME are being able to SLEEP IN, having a less structured schedule, and more time for fun stuff.

I will probably allow video game abuse for the first few weeks. Then we will have to try to actually have some semblance of structure, chores, etc. Both difficult child's are having a math tutor over the summer, much to their chagrin, but I told them that's what happens when your grades tank.

difficult child 1 goes to Crohn's camp for a week in August -- which is ALWAYS good for him.

difficult child 2 is going to an overnight camp for the first time this year -- they deal with developmentally disabled AND neurotypical kids and all points in between, so I am optimistic that he will have a great time -- he needs something positive since his last three summers at day camp were less than stellar.

easy child gets to go to day camp for two weeks WITHOUT any sibs tagging along. I think that will be very good for her, too.

:D

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Summer is my "break", generally.
Wee difficult child is always tough November thru January. Generally in the summer, he's better, tho we do get short bursts of rough stuff, or, like last year, we try a new medication that sends him spiraling. But even then, summer is easier. He loves to be outside. He can play in his sandbox for hours. He can go to the pool where he'll fiddle around for hours. He can wear minimal clothing and no shoes and be just hunky dory. He *LOVES* to be outside, and when its nice and warm and light out til 9pm, he CAN be out, and we let him. He expends more energy outside, so when he is stuck inside, he's somewhat calmer.
And we're ALL outdoors people...so its just an easier time of year for all of us.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Obviously for me one of the great summer joys is I don't work! We keep difficult child as busy as possible which last year and this year is day camps. Some of the day camps he is going to this year include an overnight on Thursdays. When he is at the camps husband and I really get to destress and also spend some time with easy child. However, there will be two weeks that they will both be gone, her overnight, him day camps plus the Thursday sleep over!

Now I'll head over to the summer challenges thread!

tiredmommy

Duckie loves to swim... she seems calmer doing it. She also likes to get dirty and check out bugs... perfect hobbies for summertime. She had a blast at Girl Scout day camp last year and will be going back again this year. I usually try to do something fun each week: local amusement park, a play, the movies, or the zoo. Nothing too expensive but the rest of the days are in the backyard or at one of our local parks. Sometimes, a cookout and a rented movie with friends she hasn't seen in awhile is a big hit.

I usually don't get to far off track on bedtimes. It's lights out at 9pm this summer with the rare exception. No more than an hour of electronics (unless she's sick but well enough to not be sleeping). Healthy food... not too much junk. This helps when she has to transition back to school.

Andy

Planning for summer is a challenge but once I know difficult child is taken care of, I can relax. I think we will have Summer Time Joys this year. Diva is watching difficult child's bowling buddy. They can only pay her $2 per hour so I told her I would match the $2 per hour to watch difficult child also. The boys get along very well - this should be an easy summer for Diva even though she needs to find an evening/weekend job to supplement.

difficult child did very well on Friday at home with Diva. His bowling buddy admires him so that will be good to have someone looking up to him this summer. The bowling buddy also is on his baseball team so they can practice baseball when they are together. Diva can take them swimming, bowling, to the movies, baseball practices, and the many parks we have in town.

I will take them to the zoos once in awhile.

It looks like a joyful summer.

Bed times have never been much of an issue for us. difficult child knows he needs his sleep and will abide by an early bed time if needed to catch up on some - in fact, many times he will will recognize that need and act on it before being asked.