sun & sleeplessness?

Steely

So, since I moved to AZ I have been unable to sleep well. I wake up continually all night, and then when it is time to really get up, I feel sick to my stomach with fatigue. When I went to ID to see Matt this weekend, I slept like a baby. It made me start to wonder.

Here in Northern AZ, 5am looks and feels like it is 8am. I am wide awake by 5:00. I also am outside about 20% of the day, which does not sound like a lot, but in terms of the body and the UV rays it receives in AZ, it is probably above average.

Do you think I could be in some sort of Vitamin D overdose? Or do you think my circadian rhythm is so disrupted by all of this sunshine that I am almost a bit manic or something? (I am not manic in other other behaviors except I do seem less depressed.) I am certainly tired all of the time, and I fall asleep easily - I just cannot stay asleep.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Steely

Andy

Can you try black out curtains? Shut out the sunlight so it doesn't come in at 5:00? If your body has been used to waking up via daylight, you might be able to darken your room - though then you will need a different way of waking up. Too bad you can't have a system where the curtains open automatically when you need to wake up.

Also, is your room a comfortable temperature? If it is hotter or drier than you are used to, you may need to address those issues?

I would guess that ID was cooler making it easier to sleep?

nvts

Hey! When was your last physical? After you blacked out while moving, you promised us, young lady, that you go and get it. If you're at all anemic, that could make you super tired.

Anemia, diabetes, auto immune, lack of sleep, sleep apnea, all of these and many more can cause tiredness.

GO TO THE DR. YOUNG LADY!!!

Beth

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
You could be still getting used to the time zone - Arizona doesn't change their time twice a year. Plus you have a new job could still be getting used to it. Maybe it not a big change physically but mentally could be doing a number on you.

Marcie

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
I don't know, Steelie. I went from Maine To AZ quite unexpectedly ,difficult child 2 begged me to stay with him as he was having anxiety attacks, he didn't realize 2,800 miles from home was that far. I loved it, felt rejuvenated and truly alive.

I hope you can find your center and your balance.

Steely

Yea.........AZ does not change their time. So it is really bright at 5am!!!! I probably do need black out curtains - and to make it cooler in my room. I moved from Dallas Texas, so you would not think the sunlight would make that much of a difference - but yet - it seems like it has?

Yes mama bears - I went to the DR.;) It was the same old same old. My potassium was still severely deficient. The potassium deficiency is what caused the heart problems and paralysis, believe it or not. (Who could'a thunk! Scary!!!!!:faint:) I am trying to eat better, and take the supplements, but the supplements make me sick if I take them at their full dose, so I am taking them at half a dose. I go back to the DR next week.

My visit with Matt went awesome. He is growing up so much. I am so proud of him. I thought maybe that is why I was sleeping better - you know? To see him, and be assured? However - I slept better even after I saw him and was staying over night in UT waiting for the next flight. And then BAM, the next night I was home, and I was back to the same sleepless night. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'd try blackout curtains and a white noise machine or short of that, turn on your bathroom fan (if it's next to your bedroom) or something like that. Try going to bed at a regular time every night, even if you're not tired.

Any chance there is something that's waking you up? Like a mockingbird? Noisy neighbor? The dogs?

tiredmommy

Another thought is that your bed may be facing the wrong way. Figure out if your head faced N,S,E,W when you lived in Dallas and make sure it's facing the same way now.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
One more thing - you are probably a lot higher, altitude-wise, than you were before. (Maybe not, but it's a thought.) Every time I visit New Mexico I have a terrible time sleeping. Higher and drier...

Abbey

Spork Queen
Steely...I'd gladly change places with you. I think over the years I've become so sun dependent that moving to grey skies has really affected my mood. You are in reverse mode. I don't need dark...I need quiet. Kind of hard with these parrots who rise at the first site of sunlight. Fortunately, it's always overcast here so they don't get up until a reasonable hour...maybe 6am. I also use blackout curtains around the house.

Potassium is another story. BANANAS!!!

So here's the deal - I move to AZ and take over your job, and you move to WI and take over H and 3 parrots. Deal...or no deal?:tongue:

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If the sun is up.......I am up. Seriously. I can go to bed at 3 am and if the sun is up by 6 am, then I am too. Annoying. And our bedroom is on the west side of the house.

There are mini blinds that also black out the sun. I'm seriously thinking of getting some. Except that the sun is my back up for when I ignore the alarm clock. lol

Have you tried getting to bed early enough to make up for the early morning wake up call??

Oh........and we have birds in the pine tree across the alley from my bedroom. So if the sun doesn't wake me......these loud things most certainly do. There is one in particular I'd like to spot and strangle.

((hugs))

Steely

No deal Abbey:tongue: So sorry! I cannot live in gray either - it makes me SO depressed.

Yep - last night I woke up at 3:30. Wide awake. Guess what time the sun comes up here? So serious. 4:15am. No wonder I am waking up so early. 4:15???? Cr@p! (Beautiful sunrise at 4 however - what else is there to do when you can't sleep?)

TiredMommy, I think I need to move my bed for sure. It sounds weird, but there could be a need for a bit of Feng Shei going on.

Step2, yes I used to be at sea level, and now I am at 5000 feet. Why would altitude make it harder to sleep?

Maybe I am getting too much vitamin D? Is that even possible?:faint:

Abbey

Spork Queen
Sleep mask and ear plugs gets me to about 4am. Today it was 6am. I couldn't believe it.

Come on, Steely...we can strike a deal.

Abbey

Andy

Different altitude has different air pressure. When I was on vacation to a different altitude, I would get cranky and not feel well. I am very sensitive to changes in air pressure.

It is like when you climb a mountain, you are told to take it easy and let your body adjust. I think air is thinner the higher you go?

When you are trying to sleep, your body is more relaxed and more aware of changes around.

Your body could still be adjusting to the altitude change.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Altitude makes a big different to me. Air is thinner as you get higher... And probably drier too. A lot of people get nosebleeds while they are acclimating, and I know I use about 5x the amount of hand lotion.

Anything that forces your body to adapt has the potential to really mess with your sleep. And if I don't get at least 7 hours a night, I am a grade-A 8itch.

4:15?! EWWWWWWWW!!!!

Maybe you could go to bed earlier? And get some stuff done in the morning?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Sounds as though all of that sun, however much I want it HERE, is doing you in. Maybe you should get some black out curtains and this one type of alarm clock. I would look for a link but my computer is acting up and I'm afraid it will shut down (again) if I do. I remember seeing an ad for it once. It has a light on it that gradually gets brighter about a 1/2 hour or so before the alarm is set to go off. It's supposed to fool your body into thinking the sun is up and help you wake more naturally. I know...not your problem at the moment but if you use the black out curtains...maybe it would work. As for getting to sleep....sounds as though you may need to gradually darken your environment in the evening to simulate the sun setting at a time your body is used to.

I would think about some white noise also. I have a fan in my room that I find I can't sleep without anymore. I don't necessarily need the fan pointing to me....just the noise. Without it, it's too quiet.