I'd gladly just hand them a mop!

Oh the weather outside's delightful!
And my in-laws think they've a right to
Impose their schedule on us again
What a pain, what a pain, what a pain!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Love it!!! I have been hiding out! Haven't had to see mine yet! TEE HEE
I only have to hide until the 9th of January. I did send a huge plate of cookies over.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:D I was feeling kinda ornery this morning, can ya tell?

I had a carpet cleaner coming today AND a roofer for an estimate. mother in law called husband yesterday and invited him to take her and father in law to breakfast this morning, and then they planned to hang out at our place all day. I told husband that's fine, but I'm going to be busy cleaning and dealing with the various service people who would be here.

Of course, I hadn't factored in difficult child 1's meltdown either. Grrrrr.

Anyway, then husband took them and difficult child 2 to the movies, so at least I didn't have deal with them anymore.

They're always so controlling in a very passive-aggressive way it just drives me crazy to hear their comments, even though I typically just ignore them and keep on with whatever I'm doing. They have a comment or criticism for just about everything, from the kids to my housekeeping (or lack thereof) to how we should plan out the day.

I think after mother in law slapped difficult child 2 last February when she was out here to "help" after husband's surgery, I just snapped and decided that I was not going to "go along" with them any more just to make nice. We already do too much for them financially and I'm just done with doing things to make other people happy when they don't really appreciate the effort in the first place, and they certainly don't make any attempt to understand me or the circumstances in my life.

Something about the way they irritate me just made me break out into song today! :D

Glad it was good for a chuckle!

F

flutterbee

I'm with you. After the slap, making nice stops.

I don't remember. Do they live near you or are in they in town visiting?

My former mother in law's mother in law (ha! my ex's grandmother) lived right next door. If father in law left, his mom (mother in law's mother in law) would call and want to know where he was going. Duh. He's going to get beer.

Wynter's grandmother would criticize me through Wynter. Wynter was a year old and she'd say, "Tell your mommy that you don't need that snow suit." "Tell your mommy that you don't want that juice." Ugh. I'm so glad I don't have in-laws anymore.

I'm glad you're able to maintain your sense of humor! That song was great!

klmno

You know, I thought I've noticed an onery side to you for a couple of days now- is this what brought that on? LOL! It was hilarious! But I keep thinking - if they ever see this, boy are you in trouble!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Heather, I thank GOD every day that they live in TEXAS and NOT CALIFORNIA!!! I remember you talking about the stupid sing-songy voice your mother in law used to use when she talked to Wynter and the very passive-aggressive way she'd try to manipulate you through her. She deserved a smack for that!

Klmno, thank goodness they are old and cannot navigate the internet. Most of husband's family is clueless about technology (including husband).

Anyway, I think I've been in trouble for the past year with them when I started letting the answering machine pick up more often at home and stopped automatically returning mother in law's calls to my cell. I would only call her back if she left a message. Heck, I don't automatically call my own mother back if she just calls and hangs up. I figure it must not be important if she didn't leave a message. And my mom agrees.

I think some of my orneriness also comes from a stated expectation mother in law made last summer when they were out visiting when she told us they were coming out here in December and that we'd better be ready for them, and we needed to throw a birthday party for father in law because he was turning 75 on 12/3 -- she said "75 is like three 25's and that's hard to get!" I think that was a gambling reference... (they are compulsive gamblers) whatever. I get very annoyed when someone orders me to entertain them and do things for them. So perhaps in anticipation of their arrival (and knowing they stopped in Vegas on the way out here -- another sore spot for me because we're paying over $400 a month for their Medigap coverage... which is going up in January... and yet they can somehow find money for gambling... I just don't get it and I don't approve) I have been tensing up a bit. Maybe that's why my neck has been sore since I first saw them last weekend...

klmno

Wooo....they really have pushed a few limits a few times, haven't they? It sounds like you're just going to have to keep getting more and more assertive with them. I hope husband backs you up. And, you can post as many of those songs as you want- I thought it was great!!