Super Bowl Recipes please!!!

meowbunny

Not sure how, but I've been elected to have a Superbowl party at my place for 10 people. I have one recipe I'll post in a sec for pulled pork sandwiches (fixed in the crockpot), but really need ideas for other stuff.

Here are the problems: no shellfish or shrimp (allergies by two); one vegetarian; three of us are lactate intolerant; I not only do not like the taste of chili, I loathe the smell of it (and almost anything Mexican). I don't want to just do the standby chips and dips. Tired of those but will have tortilla chips and salsa. (I've given up on making a decent guacamole ... just not in my repertoire is seems.)

So, any suggestions, ideas?

susiestar

Roll With It
There is a brand of guacamole in the produce section that my husband says is really good. It is Wholly Guacamole I think.

Can you get Tofutti cream cheese at the Health food store? It is really really good, and if you put it in a dish and pour salsa over it you have a great dip.

What about Italian food? Baked Ziti, Olive Garden salad dressing and breadsticks.

Or a deli tray and chips? Just sandwich stuff and potato salad or whatever.

I don't think Super Bowl means it has to be Mexican. If it does, Sams has some great frozen Mexican dishes.

Sam's also has great frozen italian dishes or whatever you want. That spinach and artichoke dip. Yummmmmmmmmy (on one of my boars someone used the green beans and mushroom soup and fried onions, but got spinach by accident. It was SCARFED. Several others tried and said it was great.

If you want the olive garden salad dressing lite recipe, I can PM it later. And a great caramel dip for apples.

Hugs,

Susie

DammitJanet

We always do wings, fried mushrooms, and a baked crab dip. Sams sells these amazing kabobs with either scallops or steak wrapped in bacon. You can also do chicken livers wrapped in bacon stuck on a tooth pick and broiled. Or spread mushroom soup on bread and roll that up and wrap it in bacon and cut and stick a tooth pick in it and broil.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Meatballs can be easily made in the crockpot, you buy them frozen. I buy two bottles of my favorite barbecue sauce (Kraft Honey Garlic is awesome), pour them over the meatballs, fill one of the empty bottles about 2/3 full with water, and add that too. Then just turn on the crockpot and let them simmer for a few hours.

Personally, I always ask people to chip in and bring stuff to my parties... and most are happy to do so. If someone asks, "what can I bring?" Tell them. "food!"

nvts

You're going to laugh, but believe it or not at the last couple of parties that we've done/attended, I've made the old standby: deviled eggs. People go OFF saying "OMG! I haven't had these in years! I remember when my PARENTS had a party and these were always there!"

I was shocked!

You could also do mini-quiche's in mini muffin cups. Another is roasted vegetables, feta cheese and roasted garlic in phyllo dough, just cut them in a square, put in filling, fold over corner to corner (like a turnover) and bake.

Or: pillsbury turnovers, chopped ham, shredded cheddar, stuff the pastry, fold like you normally would and bake.

My husband makes quacamole in a weird way. He cuts up the avacado, adds about a tablespoon of Hellmans mayo, a little bit of "Good Seasons Italian Dressing (use balsamic vinegar when you mix it up) to taste and mashes it together.

Good luck!

Beth
Giant Fan

meowbunny

Ooohhh ... wings!! How could I forget them? thank you Janet.

The meatballs are a great idea, too. Ditto deviled eggs.

Sadly, no time to go to Sam's between now and the game. Too much to do at home.

I know I could ask people to bring food but it just goes against my grain. I like to show off my cooking (even when using tons of shortcuts like frozen meatballs lol). I'm making them bring all the booze/beer/sodas.

So, the menu is pulled pork sandwiches, cole slaw, and Doritos; deviled eggs; meatballs; chicken wings; chips and salsa. Maybe a plate of cheeses.

Thanks, gang!!!

everywoman

Touchdown Italian Chili
Servings: 12
Prep: 35 minutes Cook: 20 minutes
1 package (19.76 ounces) Johnsonville Italian Sausage Links
1 cup chopped onion
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 each large sweet red, yellow and green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian recipe stewed tomatoes
1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3/4 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup cream sherry, optional
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
Grill Italian sausage according to package directions; cut into half moon slices
and set aside. In soup kettle, sauté onion, celery, sweet peppers and garlic in oil
until tender. Add sausage and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
cover and simmer 20 minutes or until flavors are blended.
Tip: Sprinkle chili with grated Asiago, Romano or Parmesan cheese.