Super Dieters Tea

You have got to try this product! I remember my mom using this whaen I was a child, and bought it like a year ago. It tastes like regular tea, I add half a pack of equal-yum. You can buy it in a health food store. Here's what it does: After you drink it, the next morning you go to the bathroom. That's it. It doesn't give you any stomach ache at all. It cleans you out- you feel like you've just had a baby! LOL! My girlfriend from work went to buy us all some more- she had a long list of people to buy for, everyone at work LOVES this. You will never gain an ounce.-Alyssa

trinityroyal

Please be VERY careful if you are drinking Super Dieter's Tea. The active ingredient is a herb called
Senna which acts as a strong laxative.

The tea gets more potent the longer you brew it, and it can have dramatic, unpleasant and even dangerous side effects if you brew it too long, drink it too often, or if you have heart trouble.

Confession time.
in another HL thread I mentioned that I had major problems with food in my teens and early 20s. The medical names for the problems I had are anorexia and bulimia. Senna, specifically Super Dieter's Tea, was one of the things I used as a purging tool.

Side effects included:
- severe diarrhea
- dehydration
- electrolyte imbalance
- dizziness
- fainting

Senna may have a place in some weight loss programs, but please know all the facts before you do. I was using it incorrectly, but I got very ill and caused myself lifelong digestive problems.

Trinity

Trinity,
Of course I don't want to injure myself, so I was wondering if you would mind being more specific on how you were using this tea. I follow the directions, and don't take it every day. I have never had diarrhea or any of the other problems. I skip 2 or 3 days or even whole months. Now I'm losing weight again. My friend gives her daughter this tea. We thought it is "natural" and the best invention.-Alyssa

trinityroyal

Alyssa,

I don't mind at all. I'm happy to share any information I have that could prevent someone from harming themselves.

WARNING: I'm going to have to be graphic.

Super Dieter's Tea (Super D's Tea in Canada -- same product) is a natural laxative. It works the same way as ExLax and other drugstore laxatives. Essentially, what it does is to prevent your large intestine from re-absorbing water before you void your bowels. You end up losing a lot of water that would normally be retained.

So...for the most part, the weight you lose is water.

What I was doing was to brew the tea for 10 or 15 minutes rather than the recommended 1 to 3 minutes. The potency of the tea increases exponentially. The effects of a 10-minute cup are about 100 times stronger than the effects of a 2-minute cup.

The result was hours of explosive diarrhea that lasted for hours, sometimes for days. There were times when I literally could not get up off the toilet, because another wave would strike. I became so dehydrated during these bouts that I would get the shakes and sweats, terrible dizziness, and sometimes fainting. My body was attempting to purge all waste and as much water as possible. I had terrible cramps and was sick for a few days afterward. If I tried to eat or drink anything during this time, it would bring on another bout of diarrhea, shaking, nausea, terrible cramps, etc. So...in addition to the dehydration and other issues, I was also starving, because I couldn't eat anything while the tea was still in my system.

I had a significant electrolyte imbalance because of the dehydration, which can cause heart attacks. This is what Karen Carpenter died of.

The combination of the Super Dieter's Tea and other purging that I did (Ex-Lax, self-induced vomiting) caused acid reflux, stomach ulcers, and damage to my stomach lining. I haven't purged since I was 22, but some of the problems, particularly the acid reflux, persist to this day.

I suspect that a lot of the issues I dealt with were more to do with overall bad choices, rather than just the Super Dieter's Tea, but I know that other people have also had health problems from taking Senna in whatever form, and I just wanted to ensure that if you're using it you're being careful.

All the best, and please let me know if you need further detail.
Trinity