Suspended for 5 days..

SnowAngel

for singing "On top of old smokey, all covered in blood" song. It was originally two days, but the principal decided it needed increased because it falls into a threat against a school employee catagory. She did admit the prior discipline on that day was not appropriately handled. :hammer:

I guess I need to check into homeschooling.

witzend

OMG... To think of all the terroristic threats my classmates and I got away with as a child...

I'm sorry. I hope that you are able to come to some sort of compromise.

DDD

I hate school policies on suspensions. That doesn't help you, of
course, but just thought I'd let you know that I've been there done that. Hugs.
DDD

SnowAngel

Well both the boys are mad. I originally posted Fridays event on "Need Advice..Please Help". It explains what happened leading up to their 5 day suspension. I did find a place here in Arizona to get help regarding my rights in the school, its a non-profit organization:

http://www.raisingspecialkids.org If you know of anyone in the Arizona area..it is completely free. They will call me tomorrow to see what they can help me with.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh my-a five day suspension-seems a bit much for a song. I hope you can get an IEP soon.

I know how hard those suspensions are. They were always harder on me than difficult child because I made sure he was doing school work or house work all of the time he would regularly be in school.

meowbunny

You've got to be kidding! I remember singing that as a kid. I inserted my teachers, the principal, my cousin, whomever came to mind at the moment. This is getting ridiculous.

Hope that group can help you and I wonder what it is going to take to get some common sense into schools today? Kindergartners getting suspended for playing cops and robbers; first graders for drawing a picture with a water gun; 9 YOs for singing a song that's been around forever. We've gone from too free and easy to over the top cautious. I'm sorry your kids are suffering from this.

SnowAngel

Nope, not kidding. Peanut was even sent to the office for singing the K-I-S-S-I-N-G song...borderline sexual harrasment. I just dont get it. I guess we hade it made growing up, huh?

(((Desari)))

I don't know how you haven't REALLY threatened that school, with all the nonsense that has gone on there with your children, your nieces, and your nephews.

That is ridiculous. What WILL they do when it is time to sing the name game, and they get to Art? Or worse yet, Chuck?

Marguerite

I think easy child has been taken to extremes and used as just another weapon against vulnerable students.

I've never seen the sense in this sort of suspension - reward a misbehaving kid with time off school? Yeah, like THAT will encourage them to behave...

This sounds a bit over-the-top, in my opinion.

Marg

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OK maybe you should come to Iowa. I don't think I have heard of that garbage going on. I have my battles with the schools but nothing like that.

Sorry you are going through yet another thing with this school. Hope that group can help you.

I did get detention in middle school with a handful of classmates for writing a dirty song even in the 80's. But never anything like that.

Beth

LittleDudesMom

The zero tolerance seems to make school administrators and school boards feel their hands are tied when in actuality they do have the ability to use their common sense.

I just heard about a high school girl, honor student, never in trouble, respectful, etc., who was expelled because of a butter knife. She forget she had it with her and stuck it in her locker. A few days later, when she opened the locker it fell it. One of her friends was kidding her about it and a teacher overheard. She was immediately expelled.

Here is the kicker though. The parents challenged the explusion and they went to a hearing. All the girl's teachers were there and spoke on her behalf about what a model student and good person she was. When they went home, they felt good about it. Come to find out, they received notice the next day - the expulsion stands - permanently - and the letter was dated before the hearing!

I think the schools feel they are not allowed to think and reason in these cases. How many of us sang these kind of things, or listened to kids sing these things when we were growing up. I know we are in different times, but come on.....

Sharon

DammitJanet

This is a prime example of the times we live in creating difficult child's today.

When we were younger no one would have thought twice about kids singing songs, taking plastic silverware to school, even carrying a pocketknife. Little boys got into scuffles on the playground and someone got a black eye...they settled it between them. The cops werent called, no one went to juvy, no one got a police record.

Kids may have stolen gum from a store but the owner called their parents and their parents tore their butts up all the way home.

It was a different time and I think things have gotten really blown out of proportion but our kids are still the same inside.

prayerful

My son got in trouble for the same thing i had to go to a hearing and he suspended for 10 days and has to go to couseling 2 or 3 times a week with school couselor . know how you feel.

busywend

I agree with LDM, the school are not using common sense or their judgement. Probably because they are afraid of being sued. I think sometimes the administrators hands are tied as well. They can not please everyone all the time.

I am so sorry about your son getting suspended for singing a song. A silly song that he turned a bit scary. Does he realize how that could be scary? That is what I think the schools are lacking - teaching the kids what they did was wrong and why it was wrong. Funny huh, since they are there to learn!

SnowAngel

The funny part is my boys learned the song this year at that school.. And it is on me to correct the situation. Is something way off here or what? Makes me think that all of us who have disorders think things through a bit more than others. Hmmm...Imagine what we could get accomplished if we elected a difficult child for president.. :rofl:

Marguerite

Can you tell the school you're considering suing them for teaching him the song that he sang which led to him getting suspended?

And as for the school which suspended the honor roll student, and the parents getting a letter dated BEFORE the hearing which says the expulsion stands - I'd have gone to the media on that one. It's very Alice in Wonderland. ("No, no!" said the Queen. "Sentence first, verdict afterwards.")
difficult child 1 had throwing knives at school and was actually throwing them at a chair. He got a three day suspension, because simply having knives on school premises is illegal. The school in fact should have called the police in his case.
An expulsion for a butter knife? Totally idiotic. And to date the appeal result BEFORE the appeal is held? Utter nonsense in classic Lewis Carroll style.

Marg

Sunlight

I am totally opposed to suspension from school. the kids are not punished by being allowed to be on vacation at home, the parents are. ugh.

SnowAngel

The part that stinks is I still haven't received their homework that I have requested by e-mail to both teachers and the principal..all three responded with a "no problem, we can get it together and send it home with your niece"

Last night I e-mailed them asking for an extension on when the homework will be due since they don't have all the books required to do the work yet.

I also talked with the principal and asked if their was a relationship with Peanuts disorder and his behavior that led to discipline..Well technically without the IEP the school wont recognize his disabilities. Which I think stinks. They have had copies of their psychiatrist psychiatric evaluations and counselor reports since before school started..so frustrating..

I was told peanut did qualify for the IEP, but they are waiting for the Occupational Therapist (OT) to test him and that has been rescheduled due to his suspension.

I also told the principal that I found out Ducky qualifies for an IEP regardless of his high IQ, because he is bipolar and ADHD he would qualify emotionally. I told her I didn't know what happened since I requested him to be evaluated for an IEP in writting at the beginning of school. She is starting the paperwork now..maybe I see a shimmer of light..we shall see.

nvts

Hi! I would check with Sheila and Martie on the Special Education forum. I was under the impression with IDEA that once the school is aware of a disability and/or an IEP is in process, they have to take that into consideration when handling disciplinary situations.

Just something to look into!

Beth