Suz, How did Rob's surgery go?

rejectedmom

Did he have his reconstruction? I just got back from my trip and have been looking all over the board but didn't see anything posted since the 12th. You said he was to have it on the 15th? Was it successful? Did it improve his vision? I continue to pray for him and you and Heather and your family. -RM

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Thanks, RM. It's lovely of you to think of us.

We got the insurance merry-go-round.

Long story short, Rob was told by the hospital when he was discharged to see a plastic surgeon. Insurance says if you see a plastic surgeon for your nose it's considered "cosmetic" and you have to pay cash, they won't cover. So he has now been referred to an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor and his appointment is tomorrow. We'll find out next steps with this appointment.

In the meantime, Rob's physical wounds have all pretty much healed. His vision is still in bad shape but ever so slowly improving, he says. Even more worrisome is that he is still easily confused, his comprehension is still impaired and he's still struggling with word retrieval. I'm reminded that it's only been a month (today) and it's a long road to recovery with head trauma.

Suz

Nancy

What a shame that insurance companies decide what the best medicine is. When difficult child fainted at the vet and needed 32 stitiches in her lip I requested a plastic surgeon and waited in the ER for two hours for one to come in. I was glad we did because of the extent of the cut and the place on her lip where it occurred and was even more surprised to see our insurance covered it. Hopefully the ENT will know what to do.

The confusion would worry me too but then I don't know much about head trauma. I'm glad to hear his physical wounds have healed and hope the rest continues to improve.

Nancy

rejectedmom

Suz, I am sorry about the insurance merry-go-round. It doesn't sound quite right that it would not be covered. I am wondering if the plastic surgeon gaveit the wrong code in requesting coverage. I hope the ENT gets a better result. Rob should not have to go without necessary repairs. Not right at all. -RM

Star*

call 911........call 911
There has to be some loophole - I hope you can find it. Keeping Rob, Heather, baby Rob and (chuckle) MiMi in my prayers.

Hugs

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Oh honestly, I could just scream.

Rob and Heather went to the ENT today. Since they missed the 2-3 week "window" (because of the insurance company canceling) this guy won't touch him for 3 months. He gave a long explanation but the short version is now Rob has to heal completely before he will re-break his nose. He doesn't think the nose has anything to do with his vision problems so he wants his vision to get better, too.

Heather is going to make an appointment with a neurosurgeon. Rob can't go back to work until a neuro clears him. He can't go back to work if his vision isn't healed or corrected because he can't be on a roof if his perspective is blurry or otherwise sketchy. They need some guidance about where Rob is now compared to a month ago and how long the doctor thinks it will take before Rob will be well enough to work.

For as frustrated as I am on their behalf, they must be ready to scream even louder than me.

:919Mad:

Suz

KTMom91

Oh, Suz, I'm so sorry Rob's gotten the run-around. Hopefully the neuro will be able to give him the answers he needs. Hugs to you all.

DammitJanet

I can understand their frustration.

I dont doubt that he is still having problems. It will take quite awhile for things to go back to even a semblance of normal for him. The comprehension problems are to be expected and so are the word retrieval problems. I had the vision problems for well over a month after my meningitis was "better" so I imagine it would be even worse for a head injury. I think the neurologist is a good avenue to explore.

Suz,

I really HATE insurance companies!!!:mad: It is infuriating that Rob has to wait so long to be treated by the ENT because of the insurance company!!!

I agree with Janet that it is probably a good idea for him to see a neurosurgeon. I hope Heather is able to get him an appointment soon. I can't even begin to imagine how frustrating all of this is.

As always, sending lots of positive thoughts Rob's way...

Hugs... SFR

R

runawaybunny

I'm sorry to learn that in addition to concentrating on his own recovery Rob is being forced to comply with the health insurance maze.

This situation has got to be incredibly frustrating...

:919Mad:

katya02

Solace
I'm really sorry to hear that, Suz. I think getting a neurologist or neurosurgeon involved through Rob's recovery would be a really good idea. The timing with his nose is so frustrating! - but the ENT will be able to rebreak and fix it. Once it has begun to put down new bone to repair itself, it's better to wait until that process is done and then make a clean break and get the healing process going again. But! ... stupid insurance company.

One small thing - ENTs do this a lot because of that type of insurance rule, so they are usually very good at it. At least, the ENTs I've run into are quite used to it.

I hope Rob's vision and word retrieval issues continue to steadily improve. Having them tracked by a neuro would be very wise.

Sending best wishes,
Katya

Kathy813

Staff member
Jeez, Suz, stories like this make me wonder how anyone can say that we should leave our health care in the hands of insurance companies! At least he had insurance, though.

I hope that he can get the care he needs sooner than later.

~Kathy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
ENTs do this a lot because of that type of insurance rule, so they are usually very good at it. At least, the ENTs I've run into are quite used to it.

Thanks, Katya. Coming from you, a doctor, gives me some reassurance that it was credible.

Rob has insurance....with $1000 deductible. And no disability insurance. I'm sure that the cost for lower deductibles and disability insurance for a risky profession are formidable but I can't think about it because I get incensed that his employer didn't have these provisions in place.

Still.....repeat after me...thank goodness he had major medical insurance...thank goodness he had major medical insurance...

Suz

DDD

If he has problems with confusion, short term memory loss and word retrieval, even if he didn't have vision problems, it might not be a good idea for him to attempt returning to work for awhile. I don't want to sound negative but the experts say three to five years recovery time to reach your peak, which is often not what your peak was before the injury.

It's good to be optimistic but if he has unreasonable goals it "might" be a good idea to tempre the expectations a bit. Depression is very common following any Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and accepting that there may be some limitations for
months to come could be healthier in the long run.

With the baby coming and the economy as it is, I can only imagine how
stressed they must be. Thank heavens he has a good woman at his side.
I think of you often and continue to include you all in my prayers. DDD

N

Nomad

I agree...
If you guys can find a good neurologist and one who is caring too...you've got a LOT going for you. Sometimes neuros can be big PITAs...they are on the top of the food chain. But a caring one is worth his/her weight in gold. This might be a good place to start...then get a referral from this person to an ENT.

Also would agree with- 3D

With the baby coming, a stressed economy, a major health concern....having the girl by his side and the insurance....MAJOR BLESSINGS in all of this.

Is she working? Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and cares for your son...must be a stress reliever for you.

If memory issues continue to be a concern...consider looking into vitamins (as long as they don't intefere with- medications). Some top notch basics: a good multi vitamin/mineral supplement and fish oil. If memory continues to be a really bad problem, then pm me.

Sending good thoughts/well wishes.