SUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, need your researching skills!

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by kris, Apr 10, 2007.

  1. kris

    kris New Member

    i'm searching for possible scholarship money for people who want to be interpreters for the Deaf. i'm not having much luck so far. only got one hit.

    i search SCHOLARSHIPS FOR DEAF STUDIES/INTERPRETERS. can you help me refine the search somehow. i've got to believe there is money out there for this specialized field of study.

    thanks in advance. you are the best researcher i know...& yes, i'm kissing your hiney lol.

  2. kris

    kris New Member

    ....oh & there's stuff about scholarships FOR the Deaf...not for those wanting to work with-them.

  3. timer lady

    timer lady Queen of Hearts

  4. kris

    kris New Member

    thanks, linda. i will definitely check them out.

  5. Sue C

    Sue C Active Member

    Kris -- I have a thought. Have you checked into auditing classes at a college? You don't have to pay for the courses but you learn how to do sign language. Then perhaps there is a test you can take to become an official interpreter?? (I have no idea.)

  6. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    Another thought out of left field - what about approaching businesses for a sponsorship? Especially if you could find a business that is likely to be relevant in some way (can't think right now). A rough example - some toy companies specialise in educational toys and would value some publicity for creating and donating toys for blind or deaf children. Similarly, they may be prepared to sponsor someone who will be training to work with deaf children, in exchange for you giving their product a plug. Think of the sort of companies that provide tools and equipment useful to deaf people - electronics companies, for example, who make flashing lights to hook up to the phone or the door bell. Companies that make printers or other gadgets that help a profoundly deaf person manage a phone call. Companies whose main catch cry is 'communication' - you could arrange a scholarship/sponsorship in exchange for some favourable publicity for them.

    You would have a better idea which companies to approach. But if you get SOME money (but not enough) from one company, go to another company and say, "So-and-so donated x amount - will you match it?" And always have something for them in return - good publicity is always welcome.

  7. kris

    kris New Member

    not looking for money for me to take courses. sarah has a long~term goal of being an ASL interpreter. she has three years of HS ASL & has stayed current using it at work & talking to friend from HS. she is actually teaching a clss at mc donald's to fellow employees once month.

    thanks tho.

  8. Suz

    Suz (the future) MRS. GERE

    Linda found more than I was able to when I did a quick search, Kris.

    Has Sarah asked one of the high school counselors or the head of Special Education? I would think if anyone has a nose for sniffing out those obscure scholarships/grants, it would be a counselor.

    We also had someone at my old school district who worked on "transitioning" Special Education kids from hs to college. I'll bet she would have known about something like that, too. Is there someone like that you could tap?

  9. kris

    kris New Member

    sarah's at the adult HS & the GC there is either incompetant or just plain lazy. he didn't even know that the neigghboring community college even offered this degree program never mind any info on scholarships. <sigh> she's going to have to go talk to the program easy fete given both schools have the identical schedules.

    i've bookmarked both sites linda gave so sarah can take a look st them.

    thanks for the help, everyone.

  10. Fran

    Fran Former desparate mom

    Have you gone through the Peterson's Guide for scholarships and grants?
    I have one at home. I can look when I get home or you can go to the book store and page through it.
  11. kris

    kris New Member

    good idea, fran. hadn't even thought of that. will send her to bookstore tonight as she's not working.


  12. pepperidge

    pepperidge New Member

    HOw about calling Galludet college in Washington Difficult Child ? It is one of the best known colleges for the deaf, but I bet if you were presistent enough, someone there could tell you the best places/scholarships for that course of study. Their web site might give you a phone number to get started.