Swahili? Maybe Ancient Greek?

Lil

Jabber used to drink coffee that was half hot cocoa and sugar and creamer - he didn't like coffee without "doctoring" it up.

Then he started living with me.

Coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee!:coffeedrinker:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Lil, I didn't even try coffee until I was in my late teens. I've used it as a drug when travelling or working long hours and needing a stimulant.

My mother's English and I grew up drinking strong,black tea with milk and sweetener instead.

I do like "mocha" and I do like iced coffee with milk and sweetener, and I very occasionally indulge in some of the fancy (and fattening) iced coffee drinks such as frappes and the like.

Not often as they are very expensive. I can only handle small fancy coffee drinks as they are made with espresso and the caffeine gets to me, even though the tea I drink packs a considerable wallop.

susiestar

Roll With It
Actually, in this mug of thank you's, the finish on the inside had tiny fine crack and the mold got into the ceramic through these cracks and started to grow. This IS what the black stains were - I have seen it before and a friend did a science paper on this, breaking several mugs he got from people and restaurants that had these cracks that didn't bleach clean. the growths generally were mold. This taught me to watch for those fine cracks inside mugs and ANY damage that exposed the pottery under the finish. I throw mugs with chips away because all sorts of NASTY things can get inside and then cannot be cleaned away. husband gets upset but he and thank you are so hard on mugs that I have to pitch 3-4 a month due to whatever they do to the mugs that cracks them.

I used to say "Chocolate pudding" or "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough" before I told the kids anything. they could hear dessert words whispered 2 rooms away while they played video games but a Mom right next to them? They were totally unable to hear me until I started with attention getting dessert words first. In the beginning they actually got the dessert then it became only sometimes. But since they didn't know if they would get the dessert or not, they sure listened to what I said after that. My mother thought this was hilarious but very creative and it sure ended a lot of drama, lol.

Lil

I have seen it before and a friend did a science paper on this, breaking several mugs he got from people and restaurants that had these cracks that didn't bleach clean. the growths generally were mold. This taught me to watch for those fine cracks inside mugs and ANY damage that exposed the pottery under the finish.

That's very interesting! I just always assumed that it was some kind of stain, as bleach should kill mold. I'll be more careful in the future with my mugs!

I used to say "Chocolate pudding" or "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough" before I told the kids anything. they could hear dessert words whispered 2 rooms away while they played video games but a Mom right next to them? They were totally unable to hear me until I started with attention getting dessert words first. In the beginning they actually got the dessert then it became only sometimes. But since they didn't know if they would get the dessert or not, they sure listened to what I said after that. My mother thought this was hilarious but very creative and it sure ended a lot of drama, lol.

Ah the selective deafness of children. We could sit right next to ours and tell him to do something a thousand times and he wouldn't hear us. Whisper something three rooms away we didn't want him to know and he'd hear every word.

They're like dogs. You can call a dog in a comfy spot and he won't move. Crinkle a cheese wrapper???? There in an instant.

Jabberwockey

he didn't like coffee without "doctoring" it up.

Oh, I still doctor it up. Just not as bad as I used to! Actually, the mug thing makes sense if you think about it. Pottery is porous so it would be fairly easy for mold to grow inside a cracked mug, away from where bleach would penetrate to and making it much easier to reach the surface again.